My 125g Display Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Maxx, it took a while, but here's some pics of the skimmer. It pulls to much nog imo....but anyhow, right after i cleaned it. The water level is where my finger is in the pic.

100_3475.jpg

100_3476.jpg

100_3477.jpg

100_3478.jpg

The pump is pulling atleast 75scfh. When i hook up the air meter to the pump it choke's the pump. So no clue on actual air readings, could be 85-90scfh, not sure. I know the pump pulls over 85scfh unrestricted. I actually just got my garage tooled so i'm going to start making volute's for the maxflo 1500, 2400 and 2900 here soon. I think i can get 90-150scfh out of the pump's.

Wow...that things pulling some air! What size tank is that reccomended for?

Nick

I'd recomend it for a 300g tank. It pulls out to much skimmate for me to deal with. I'm heading out for 3 days starting tomorrow and i'm a bit worried as no one will be around to watch the tank. I'm trying to get it to pull super dry, but we'll see how it turns out. Its going to go from draining once every 12hrs to nothing for 72hrs : ()

How about some pics of your claimed air draw. I have seen many people claim a certain performance but until pics are presented....

Clearly,if your skimmer is pulling "your" advertised performance it doesn't take long to understand why you have such a problem leaving it for three days. It's becuase it's way to much air for the body and neck.

Why would you want to build a different volute to pull more air, it can't handle the one that's on it now?

I'm not building a volute for this skimmer, just messing around with them to see what the 1500 will do as well as the 2900. Really, you question the claimed air pull? Thats an 8" body that is half full with foam? Clearly you don't know much about pump's. If i were to build this skimmer I would have made the neck 6" diameter as it would have matched the pump better this way. But thanks for joining to try and bash my post. It gave me a good laugh : )

Pics for the troll. I raised the pump up to 4" and its pulling 75+ scfh but with much less water flow. Its also runnig at 50w : ) Here's a few pics. When i hook up the meter it chokes the pump and shows 75scfh but the water raises a ton. Hard telling what the real air #'s are.

Here's before i hook up the air meter.
100_3522.jpg

Here's the air meter and look at how high the water level got.
100_3524.jpg

100_3526.jpg

And killowatt ofcourse

100_3530.jpg

Well, i haven't updated for a while. Here's a couple full tank shots and also a pic of my skimmer. This is the typical 24hrs worth of skimmate. Pry 3-4cups of nog.

100_3551.jpg

100_3552.jpg

100_3583.jpg

100_3585.jpg

Not to hot imo. It still opens up every day but looks a bit bleached compared to when i got it. I couldn't get it to eat either as it wasnt sticky at all from the get go. So i need to give that a try again.

Whats strange is in the last few days its gained a bit of color back. I think it may have needed to be adjusted. Went from a 250w 20k mh to 600w of t5 with ind reflectors. I just need to get it to eat, will try this weekend. On another note, just got my cone skimmer : ) The mini swc cone. So here's what i'm going to test. How well can a cone perform vs a cylinder skimmer pulling twice the air.

CNC 300a= 75scfh at 70w in 8" water
SWC mini cone= (suposed) 32-34scfh at 19-20w in 8" of water as a pw.

If it does perform as well as the 300a my jaw will drop significantly. I'll measure air pull and wattage later tonight when i get home. My estimation is that the mini cone will outperform the 300a if i were to put a meshmod on it pulling 45ish scfh, but i don't feel like messing with mesh. So we shall see.

Here's some pics of my newest skimmer. My apologies about the wording, its the only one in the US for the next 2mths so.....anyhow 20w at 32scfh right now. I'll post some pics when it breaks in. Just very cool looking so far!

SWCMini1.gif

SWCMini2.gif

I figured i'd update the thread a bit. The last time i posted the pink tipped elegance had lost alot of color and wasnt looking very good. Here in the last few its really turned around and plumped up. I still can't direct feed it but apparently its been eating something. It looks very good now.

100_3822.jpg

100_3821.jpg

Its been a long time, but i took alot of pics. The growth has been amazing the last few mths.

100_3946.jpg

100_3948.jpg

100_3949.jpg

100_3950.jpg

100_3951.jpg

100_3952.jpg

100_3953.jpg

100_3954.jpg

100_3955.jpg

100_3956.jpg

Back