My 15 year old reef is coming down this weekend

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

My reef has been running for over 15 years. Same gravel and rocks. It is time for a thorough cleaning.
It will be interesting to see what creatures I find hidden behind and under the rock.

The process has begun. I am swapping tanks to add a closed loop. 100 gallons of saltwater are in the Rubbermaid tub heating up in the living room. Working on another 100 of RO water. Friday night the festivities begin.

I am going to swap the rubbermaid with my sump in the morning so the livestock don't experience any change in water during the move.

Been plumbing the new to me 125 with an Oceans motion and sanding scratches for weeks. Added a second overflow and will use Herbie overflows.

I will be taking pictures along the way.

Gonna be a long weekend.

Its always good to refresh things. Some may find your weekend a chore or unwanted task. I however would look forward to the whole project.
Good luck, have a plan B and post lots of pics

Uh Oh, I did not know I was supposed to have a plan B. I guess the Rubbermaid tub could be B

Come on now you have had a tank running that long and you dont know about plan B. I didnt just fall off the turnip truck LOL Plan C is two extra tubs

Well, at midnight the tank and stand are out and all the livestock is safely in the tub. It is interesting what can happen to a stand in 15 years with a tank full of salt water.
It is a great stand made of maple and maple plywood but they used a 1/4 thick of masonite over the back constant water and salt formed a thick mess on the bottom mixed with carpet fibers. The masonite was glued to the maple plywood pieces behind it.

This morning I am going to tear the stand apart and replace the plywood and masonite. I was going to paint the inside for protection, but am now thinking about formica or the white fiberglass sheets they use on commercial bathroom walls. The goal for today is to get the stand done, in place and set the tank and do the final plumbing.

The stand is rebuilt, Sunday we moved it in, I put heavy vinyl they sell at HD inside the stand and on top. It is for bathroom walls. Glued down with linoleum adhesive. That should protect it for years to come. Took about 6 hours to do the plumbing. It all fit in the 4.5" behind the tank. Filled it with water and no leaks! Amazing! With the dart and Oceans Motions I have flow! Tonight i started putting the rock in it for placement. Tomorrow night I will make stands for the rockwork.

Here is a couple of pics of the back plumbing before the tank was set in place and with water.

Attachments

• Plumbing.jpg
    Plumbing.jpg
    31.5 KB
  • with water.jpg
    with water.jpg
    16.8 KB
The new tank is up and fish and corals are in in it.

I lost 4 fish somehow. My 20 year old perc clown get stuck in a pump, found it's mate on the floor behind the stand where it jumped a couple of years ago when it went awol. My six line and 2 other smaller fish just disappeared. I put them in the tub, but they were not in it when I emptied it. Pretty sad about the loss. Lots of leftover live rock after the new aquascapeing. Tons of frogspawn frags to trade in the classifieds.

Got micro bubbles up the kazoo from the closed loop. Gotta figure that one out.

Did all your rock go into the new tank? I would bet you the six line and the other fish are inside the rock. They will find a hole to hide in. Hope they show up for you. Sorry to hear about your clown.

Back