My 20 Gallon Long......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MGDMIRAGE

Shoulda been a fish!
This tank started out as a 20 gallon high but i was never satisfied with it. Then one day petsmart had 20 gallon longs on sale for 25 bucks and i HAD to get one. Then i transfered everything over and ordered a new light. The light is a Current Sundial 4x24w 30" and i love it so far! There is about 20lbs of LR and all the corals came from my 5.5 gallon which i shutdown once i got this setup. The livestock in this tank are as follows: Yellow Tail Damsel, Yellow Watchmen Goby/w tiger pistol shrimp, Ocellaris Clown, Emerald Crab, Peppermint Shrimp. I took my old 5.5 Gallon nano and made it the Fuge for this tank, it is beside the tank and siphons back into the display via gravity. Fuge has a 23w CFL 6500k bulb from lowes 99 cent bulb. Anyway, here are the pics so far, everything has a lot of growing to do yet.
toadstool.jpg

leftside.jpg

rightside.jpg

FTS5-26-09-topdown.jpg

FTS5-26-09.jpg

Lemme know what you think :)

Looks good! Some of those frags look familiar, I think. Everything should start spreading once they are happy. Question for you, how are you gravity feeding the return water from the fuge when they appear to be at the same elevation?

Er the water stays same in them both as they are the same level. Using a U tube and a modified hob to draw water into the 5.5 gallon. Not sure how to explain how the level stays the same. Yep Tony those are like 99% frags from you :) thanks again they are ALL alive and kickin'. I think i'll start to get some growth from them now as they are under t5s now versus the PC bulbs they were under in my 5.5.

Oh and do you have any frags ready yet? :D

You know I might just have a couple, also some ricordias as well, PM me and maybe we can work something out this week or early next week.

Tony

Er the water stays same in them both as they are the same level. Using a U tube and a modified hob to draw water into the 5.5 gallon. Not sure how to explain how the level stays the same. Yep Tony those are like 99% frags from you :) thanks again they are ALL alive and kickin'. I think i'll start to get some growth from them now as they are under t5s now versus the PC bulbs they were under in my 5.5.

Oh and do you have any frags ready yet? :D

I like the HOB mod. Very clever idea. Also you got a steal of a deal on that tank, $25 for a 20 long?! Awesome.

Cheers,
Alex

I like the HOB mod. Very clever idea. Also you got a steal of a deal on that tank, $25 for a 20 long?! Awesome.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks, yeah petsmart here in spokane is running the sale until 31st of this month.. Not sure if they are doing it over there too, but you might wanna check it out :)

That's a really sweet fuge idea!

Did you have use any special technique to prime the U-tube?

I have a 6 gallon acrylic box that I was going to use as an ATO reservoir on my nano--but now I'm thinking "gravity-fed fuge" instead! :D
I would have never dreamed up a simple U-tube and HOB setup like that would be possible--that's Awesome!

Sure thing! It's ghetto but it works lol.

That's a really sweet fuge idea!

Did you have use any special technique to prime the U-tube?

I have a 6 gallon acrylic box that I was going to use as an ATO reservoir on my nano--but now I'm thinking "gravity-fed fuge" instead! :D
I would have never dreamed up a simple U-tube and HOB setup like that would be possible--that's Awesome!

Nothing special, put it under water and cupped both ends to form a seal then got the ends in their correct tanks and good to go. Siphon should stay perfect long as you don't have much air bubbles in your setup that could accumulate at the top of the U tube. With this current setup i can change about 7 or 8 gallons before it gets close to breaking the siphon. I also do all the water changes from the fuge as to not disturb the display, and in that instance the U-tube reverses it's role hehe.

Now sporting SPS and Xenia thanks to Returnofsid :)
SDC10822.jpg

SDC10823.jpg

SDC10824.jpg

SDC10827.jpg

SDC10830.jpg

SDC10838.jpg

FTS.
FTS.jpg

Thanks for looking! the montipora digitata is coloring up more every day. I had glued it sorta oppasite as it was sitting in Michaels tank i had brown side up lol. It's turning bright orange on this side now.

Is there any issues with the HOB filter mod after a power outage not coming back on and functioning correctly?

Cheers,
Alex

Haven't had any power outtages yet, but i've unplugged it many times and it always starts right up. As long as water stays in the hob to prime it. Since both display and fuge always stay at the same water level there is no risk of hob back siphoning and running out of water when the power is off.

What kind of lights are you running? Looks kind of like pcs maybe?

Cheers,
Alex

Back