My 20 Gallon Long......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very simple setup the intake is just the basic strainer that comes with the hang on back filter. The overflow/return is just a u-tube that you can buy at some fish stores for hang on back overflows.

Thanks Loke this tank has been down for quite awhile now, it may get resurrected sooner or later. I was very happy with this setup until one of the giant turbo snails i had blocked the u-tube siphon and caused the refuge tank to overflow a few gallons. Only real failsafe with that system is to make sure the intake strainer is as close to the surface as possible so that if something does happen it won't drain your tank onto the floor :D

Very simple setup the intake is just the basic strainer that comes with the hang on back filter. The overflow/return is just a u-tube that you can buy at some fish stores for hang on back overflows.

Thanks Loke this tank has been down for quite awhile now, it may get resurrected sooner or later. I was very happy with this setup until one of the giant turbo snails i had blocked the u-tube siphon and caused the refuge tank to overflow a few gallons. Only real failsafe with that system is to make sure the intake strainer is as close to the surface as possible so that if something does happen it won't drain your tank onto the floor :D

i got a hang on filter but i dont know how to connect the water from the main tank to the hang on filter?

I used clear vinyl tubing to extend the tube from the filter you basically have to cut the old tube to get it to work. I wish i still had the setup around so i could take a couple pics for ya. I used a cheap walmart brand hang on back filter since it was cheap and i didn't mind cutting up the intake tube :) Eventually i ended up switching out the filter for a 250GPH skilter filter which i again chopped up the intake tube and made some clear tubing fit. You could also use a powerhead, you could place the powerhead in the fuge and connect tubing to it's intake and run it to your display.

hey'i got a canister filter.should i put the output of the filter to a refugium then transfer it to the main tank with a powerhead??

Back