My 20 gallon tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I down sized my 40 gallon to a 20 gallon to try and cut down on power useage.
Using 2x70watt JBJ K-2 Viper de 14k and 1x55 watt pc.
A single power head in the tank and a small return pump from my sump.
When I took down my 40 gallon tank, I moved all my zoanthids to my 240 gallon tank, but I found I missed the smaller tank with just zoanthids. I missed being able to sit and look at the zoanthids up close. They just semed so insignificate in the 240.
So I had this 20 gallon setup I bought from Rick (Blazer88) that I was using as a q-tank, so it was already setup and running.
I did have to trade off a few zoa colonies to finance the lights, but I saved some nice stuff.
Here are a few pictures of the tank, stand, sump, and some of the zoanthids.:D

Last edited:
Drool!!
Those are some beautiful pictures finn.
You sure have a nice collection of zoo’s there.

Wow Martin!!!! That's really nice man!! Your tanks always look great! You could just close you eyes and dump in rocks and it would still look great:p

Thanks Krish, it's fairly new.
I really glad I did this. I missed, sitting in the room I have our computers and being able to look at the zoanthids.
It's something to do when the servers are slow.lol

Wow that second batch of photo’s are really stunning finn. Great camera skills!
I have to admit, zoanthids are one of my favorite corals. The color variations are amazing. Slowly but surely I’d like to acquire my own collection. So far I only have some orange ones and brown colored ones. One thing that I’m not sure of is if they’re okay to keep with LPS’s. I can understand the not touching one another and sweeper tentacles rules of it but I’m unsure of the chemical warfare aspect of the two.

i still like those "mohawk" palys, the sparkly ones=) u have great stuff! (and awesome camerataking skillz)

Thanks guys.
Haole, most of the LPS sweeper tentacles will wipe out the zoanthids, but as long as you keep the zoanthids out of reach, they will get along. And you can crowd zoanthids together. The main thing you have to watch out with zoanthids is, one color, ( usually the drab color) will over run another.

Just out of curiosity, where did you acquire most of your zoanthids from?
Your lfs’s or online? And if online, what places would you recommend?

Just out of curiosity, where did you acquire most of your zoanthids from?
Your lfs’s or online? And if online, what places would you recommend?

Most of the ones I have in my tank right now are from local stores, like Barrier Reef, Indoor Reef, and Saltwater City.
Trades and buys from people hear on RF.
In the past I've found some great pieces from liveaquaria, aquadesignz, and the fragfarmer.
So it's just a matter of being in the right spot at the right time and being willing to pay, whatever it is they are asking for.
There was a small colony of pe types at Blue Serria a few months back that I thought was too much and didn't buy it. I've regretted that ever since.

Thanks for the list of sources finn.
Good luck with this new setup of yours, it really looks nice!

Things are looking great Martin! I'm glad that tank went into good hands. Great job.

You know, it worked out very well, tank and stand.
I picked up the sump from skimmerwhisper, that fit in the stand perfectly and he donated a cool little skimmer.

AWWWWWWWSOME!!!!
Marty, your zoas take one's breath away. Tank set-up is quite nce too.
If you ever get tired of them, I know someone willing to adopt.

Power bill a bit lower now?
Mike

Should knock about $25-$30 a month off.
I'm going to try some 20k bulbs and eliminate the 55 watt actinic.

Martin that is absolutly stunning!!!!
that is the best looking livestock I have ever seen in a 20 nano....

Matt

It's all I have left from my 40 gallon. I really had to do some downsizing.
When I told my wife I wanted a zoanthid tank again, I promised that I would not add any to the credit cards, so I sold a big chuck of my stuff to finace the lights.
But I save some frags and a couple colonies.
Hopefully it will be crowded again with a 6-7 months.:)

Back