My 280 Gallon Build!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey, Sorry it has taken so long to update this... I have been battling Micro-bubbles ever since I started the tank... I just got done redo'ing the plumbing for the 6th(!!) time... So it better be fixed cause I can't stand all these stupid micro bubbles! I just have to wait for the silicon to dry then I can give everyone an update on if I still have micro bubbles or not.

I will also try to snap a few updated pictures of the rock work and everything soon!

Thanks Erik

WAHOOOO!!! I no longer have micro bubbles in the tank!! YES! I have been battling them for so long you have no idea how good it feels to not have them anymore!

So to celebrate, Dan and I bought a nice big Male Naso Tang and some polyps from ARSA to go with our female that is being moved into the 300 Gallon! I just have to catch our female out of the 180 and then we will be going to get the male so that they are introduced at the same time.

New pictures later tonight! Promise!

Thanks Erik

Pictures!! Sorry for the blurry-ness... The pictures didnt turn out very well..

Close up:
fish025.jpg

A picture further away:
fish026.jpg

No pictures of the fish yet. I took these before I started adding them so I dont stress them out by the flash....

Thanks Erik

Looking good. Better get that nice male naso to eat that pesky algea. My new one is eating stuff the other tangs turn thier noses up to. Gotta love a Naso.

The pair of Naso's have already started eating it! I also added a sweet 5" Powder Blue Tang that is helping them out!

Hopefully this week all our angels come in. We are getting an Imperator, Blue Face, Asfur, 2 Potters, and 2 Lemon Peels... Then we just have a few more fish to add and were done!

Thanks Erik

We added a 5" Powder Blue Tang the other day and today we picked up a Red Sea Regal Angel!! Finally added our sand sifting gobies too! Also picked up an orange angler but we put him in another tank until he gets bigger and we decide for sure what tank to put him in...

Here is what we still have left to add to the 300 gallon:
- 1 Imperator Angel
- 1 Asfur Angel
- 2 Lemon Peel Angels
- 2 Potters Angels
- 1 Golden Puffer and/or 1 Mappa Puffer
- 2 Blue Tangs (Currently in our 180 gallon, just giving them a bigger tank)
- 1 Sohal Tang ( Currently in our 180 gallon, just giving it a bigger tank)
- 4 Anthias of some kind (Maybe)
- 2 (pair) of True Percs or A grade Picassos...
-------- Fish list is not final Yet, still thinking about some other possibilities...

Pictures to come soon!

Thanks Erik

My 300 Gallon is finally fully stocked! Wahoo! Here is my stock list:
- 1 Golden Puffer
- 2 (Pair) of Naso Tangs
- 1 Powder Blue Tang
- 2 Blue Tangs
- 1 Sohal Tang
- 1 Red Sea Regal Angel
- 1 Imperator Angel
- 2 Lemon Peel Angels
- 2 Potters Angels
- 4 Bartlets Anthias
- 4 Sandsifting Gobies

Here are some pictures of the tank.

--- Picture of the tank with fish in it:
IMG_1671.jpg

--- Bartlet Anthias (one picture in the bucket while acclamating and one crapy picture of them in the tank)
IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

--- Golden Puffer:
IMG_1677.jpg

--- Powder Blue Tang:
IMG_1670.jpg

--- Pair of Lemon Peels and a Potters Angel and Regal in background:
IMG_1685.jpg

--- Lemon Peel and a Potters Angel:
IMG_1675.jpg

--- Lemon Peel and the Red Sea Regal Angel:
IMG_1676.jpg

--- Golden Puffer and Naso Pair:
IMG_1678.jpg

--- Golden Puffer and Powder Blue Tang:
IMG_1679.jpg

*** All these pictures were taken before we moved our Sohal and 2 Blue Tangs from our 180 gallon into this tank. I will get more pics soon with them in the tank!

Thanks Erik

Last edited:
Here is a picture that shows my tank with all my fish added:
IMG_1702.jpg

Here was my final stock list:
- 1 Golden Puffer
- 2 (Pair) of Naso Tangs
- 1 Powder Blue Tang
- 2 Blue Tangs
- 1 Sohal Tang
- 1 Red Sea Regal Angel
- 1 Imperator Angel
- 2 Lemon Peel Angels
- 2 Potters Angels
- 4 Bartlets Anthias
- 4 Sandsifting Gobies

Thanks Erik

Woah... The flash made the puffer look really odd because there is some algae on the front of the tank turned the same color under the flash....

Thanks Erik

We were happy to help you guys with the stocking process.
The regal and the golden puffer.......... perfect.
Seaweed is coming next week, I'll get you 50 sheets for now and then we will start a thread for the 2 pallet shipment arriving monday :eek:.

Let us know if you need any more fish.
Hows the Mystery wrasse?

Rob - ARSA

I didnt even notice the puffer in the pic. Very good looking tank now. The fish are exactly what it needed. :p MY baby Naso has adjusted very well and has fit into her niche of the hierarchy of tank life. I'll try to get over in the next few weeks. Things are busy between work, family, and a custom build Im doing for someone.

ARedSeaAquarium: Couldn't thank you guys enough!! Everything looks amazing!!! Mystery Wrasse is doing awesome also!! :)

trido: Ya, I have been super busy with work because some of my employees got fired and I am having to take there work... Working 6 days a week is not fun at all... Just PM me when you want to come over, I would love to go see how your tank is coming along also!

Thanks Erik

Not yet... I have decided to make it into a reef tank now though... Everytime I try a fish only, things go down hill. But when I do a reef, everything does great..... So I figured I am going to make this into my dream SPS tank since my other tanks are mainly softies and some LPS. Already picked up a sweet Calcium Reactor. Just need to find 1 more 250 watt Metal Halide retro fixture and I will be good to go.

I am redoing my lights on this and my 180 gallon.. I have 3 250 watt MH on my 180 that are retro and I have the 3 MH on the 300 that are in a fixture.. So the fixture is going to be going on my 180 gallon and the retros (plus another retro that I am buying) are going to be going on the 300 gallon..

All in all the 300 gallon will have 4 250 watt MH and 4 110 watt VHO's.

Thanks Erik

Oh wow, that is going to be awesome. Let me know where you get your 250 retro kit. I need a reflector, socket and a couple of 250 SE bulbs maybe we can order together and get free shipping. That is going to be one hell of an sps tank.

Back