My 300 Gallon sps tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

-10ish with the wind factor! I can almost hear teeth chattering in the tank, lol. That pictures look great! Stay warm my friend.

Hey :) :)
She is getting the "BIG FISH TUDE", but as long as I give them something to nibble on 2 times a day, she seems to leave most stuff alone.
Staying warm is a priority, it is about 10 degrees out there, I am staying in today ;)

She gets too feisty just put a jar of tater sauce where she can see it, she'll stop,,,,,,J/K...

Damn that's cold, we've only gotten a light frost so far this year, just enough to piss off my angel trumpets, it wasn't forecasted or they would have been put away. It is what it is:)

I will be honest, I seriously thought of trying to get the Angel out of there this summer, but having raised her from a little one, I could not do it...................LOL.
She nips at stuff, I know she nips at stuff, and if it makes her happy, then so be it ya know!!
3 degrees at 5:45AM, I love Montana :) :)

If I had a great looking fish like that angel, it would be tough to have to remove it.

Guess I won't complain about our temps in the 20's. lol

I miss Montana. Worked there a few times, always in the winter.

If I had a great looking fish like that angel, it would be tough to have to remove it.

Guess I won't complain about our temps in the 20's. lol

I miss Montana. Worked there a few times, always in the winter.

I worked outside for 37 years, there is nothing really redeeming about cold temps!!!

I don't have the heart to move that fish out, I really don't. I think I am getting a 27 gallon cube from a friend and I will be able to have some of the corals I really want to have Marty. If I hook it into the existing system, there will not be a worry about water quality, or even curing "fresh" rock. I am not going with dead rock for this, that is just wrong!!!

I will not start a new thread because it will be part of the system, so keep an eye out in the next 5-6 months or so ;)

Awesome. How long has it been since you started up a new tank?

Maybe some zoanthids your new tank?

You know about the cold weather I'm sure.
But I have to say I can dress for cold, not much you can do when it hits a 100 and you still have to wear long sleeve shirts and bibs.

Last time I worked back there it was in Laurel. Some of the morning temps( start time) were below -20 and some were -30.
Oh that damn wind.

You can dress for cold to a certain point, and then it is just too darn cold!!! That part of Montana is pretty relentless as far as wind goes.

Not real sure what is goin in the new tank, but since me and zoas don't get along, I am not sure that I want to risk it.

I will be honest, I seriously thought of trying to get the Angel out of there this summer, but having raised her from a little one, I could not do it...................LOL.
She nips at stuff, I know she nips at stuff, and if it makes her happy, then so be it ya know!!
3 degrees at 5:45AM, I love Montana :) :)

I've watched, I know the feeling, I know its not been as long as you've been working this program, but I've got some really cool cichlids that can/and are a pita, still couldn't do without them.

Besides, the way you grow stuff, I doubt she can keep up:):):)

Actually, I think I just got the growth thing with LEDs figured out this April. Only took me 15 months :eek:

I'm going to have to figure it out here pretty soon. It's time to build a new set of lights.

hi Carla, looks like the 300 is doing good (as of Nov 7th). read a bunch of wining about the cold. yea, it's cold here too, -9 now and thankfully the wind is still. that's rare and it should kick up soon. glad to be inside but have to go out soon and start cutting up the two elk and deer we got this weekend. glad season is over, I'm tired of butchering.
as far as fish go, my tank had a major casualty recently. my 28" black arowana jumped, I found him the next morning stuck to the carpet..... I tried to put him back in but when the bichir started eating it's eye we decided it was a lost cause. still stuck with the little 210 so I guess it isn't to bad to decrease the bioload but I miss the fish. to bad he was such a freak!!!
sorry I didn't make it up there this fall, football (state A champs) and hunting have left little time for other things..

hi Carla, looks like the 300 is doing good (as of Nov 7th). read a bunch of wining about the cold. yea, it's cold here too, -9 now and thankfully the wind is still. that's rare and it should kick up soon. glad to be inside but have to go out soon and start cutting up the two elk and deer we got this weekend. glad season is over, I'm tired of butchering.
as far as fish go, my tank had a major casualty recently. my 28" black arowana jumped, I found him the next morning stuck to the carpet..... I tried to put him back in but when the bichir started eating it's eye we decided it was a lost cause. still stuck with the little 210 so I guess it isn't to bad to decrease the bioload but I miss the fish. to bad he was such a freak!!!
sorry I didn't make it up there this fall, football (state A champs) and hunting have left little time for other things..

Man, I think I am going hunting with Rob next year for elk! My arowana jumped too once but we were able to get him back in the tank, just lost a few plates of armor. The FW tank used to be next to the window and would get a direct hit from car headlights from time-to-time late at night. Also had alligator gar jump a few times... just wipe the lint off and toss him back in the tank. :) I'm glad that the SW fish don't try to jump too often!

I guess I should do some catching up here since Devon went thru all the threads yesterday and was checking for updates.................LOL.
Rob, sorry to hear about the Arowana, that really sucks, but when they go carpet creeping there just isn't much we can do. The trees are still there waiting for you and Julie, hopefully they will still be there whenever you can come up...............lol.

I went out and did some Christmas shopping for myself here last week and bought a Canon 7D Markll and a 24-105mm f4L IS USM lens, so I had to play around with it a bit this weekend, and these are what I came up with, hope you all enjoy the pics:
DX2A0169_zps859c6336.jpg

DX2A0168_zps559a7b7a.jpg

DX2A0164_zps29b95854.jpg

DX2A0162_zps88aa9818.jpg

DX2A0161_zps0b663754.jpg

DX2A0145_zpsfc1f5c19.jpg

DX2A0144_zps9d78421e.jpg

DX2A0140_zpse331c6ef.jpg

DX2A0139_zps12600443.jpg

DX2A0131_zpsee9b5748.jpg

Back