My 6 foot Air skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

smjtkj

Well, after following the threads for several months and piecing the parts together I finally got it done! I have been gathering parts for a few months now and finally got my skimmer together. It stands right at 6 foot tall with the skimmer cup. I used 10.5 inch acrylic tubing for the mixing chamber body. I put a set of flanges about 20 inches up from the bottom to have access to the 6 aquatic eco fine pore three inch stones. I was able to buy the 2 pieces of tubing on ebay for 70.00 with shipping! The material for the flanges I bought as drop pieces from a local glass place for 6.00. The biggest investment was the cone riser with the twist lock I got from SPAZZ. That was like 120.00 with shipping. The nylon screws for the flange set I built was about 6.00. And last the whitewater L19 I got on ebay for 138.00 with shipping. Seeing that baby skim for the first time, PRICELESS! I am running a Hailea V 60 pump on it right now. It is under powered but is still skimming pretty well. It has been running since yesterday. Here are some pics!
Mike
DSCN1766.jpg

064c087f.jpg

756ae522.jpg

Nice skimmer! I think you've done a great job assembling it! Yeah, if you haven't seen Todd's yet (disturbedreefer), check his out. Another beast of a skimmer! Great job again Mike...Thanks for sharing.

Looking great Mike. Definately looks like it needs some more air though, you want that mixing chamber to be more white.

Good build for sure!!

Mike

Thanks Mike! Your skimmer was the inspiration. Yeah I was hoping to get away with the less expensive Hailea V 60, but no dice. I think it would be ok for a shorter skimmer. Well, I got the LT19 in. It was a defective pump. Now I am waiting to get another one in. I think it has a torn diaphram. Boy these Whitewater pumps are NOISY! I have it in a tank room and it sounds like a commercial air compressor running. Well not quite, but it is not pleasant. I paid for the difference between this pump and an ALITA pump. So when it comes in I hope the result is peace and quiet! Here are a couple of pics of 2 days of skimmate still using the undersized Hailea V 60 pump.
DSCN1775.jpg

DSCN1776.jpg

I put the air input from the LT 19 outside and then covered it with a shop vac filter (remember you got to filter the air coming in) and it made it a little better. Still not a quite pump though.

MIke

From my understanding the ALITA pumps run about 37 DB. Thats pretty darn quiet.

To get the max life out of your airstones (and pump internals for that matter). You cany buy a HEPA replacemtent filter that looks like a car air filter. Sandwich this guy between two discs of acrylic (or well painted plywood) and hold it together with a single tie rod (nutand bolt with rubber washers) in the center (or several around the outside peremiter). Tap a hole in the center and connect your air hose to it. This HEPA filter will last a LONG time. You can also wrap the outside edge (where the air gets sucked in) with shop-vac or other pre-filter material or cloth. This can be changed or cleaned as needed, and will extend the life of the HEPA filter greatly.

Yeah Mike, I tried to vent it out of the room. We just could not get past the noise. Hopefully the alita will be the ticket.
Thanks,
Mike

Please let me know how the alita is. I am ordering mine (for my 5' CC skimmer)

You can get HEPA filters online in many shapes and sizes. My suggestion is however based on the replacement style that fit the HONEYWELL and similar HEPA filters sold at HD and LOWES. It will run you $30-$50 but will be of great benefit to your airstones and pump (and tank). They look very similar to the old style round airfilters that fit most cars over the last 50 years. A round pleated filter with rubber gaskets around the perimeters.

Bean

smjtkj said:
Thanks Todd! Yeah I followed your thread on both sites. Glad to hear that it is still doing well.
Doing very well and I'm running one of the Alita pumps as well. I think you will be pleased with the Alita.

I am concerend about noise with the pump more than performance. If it's not nearly silent, then I can't use it.

Bean, I will keep you posted on th noise and performance level. Man I am bummed. UPS was scheduled to deliver the Alita today but never showed up. I saw on the UPS site that it is rescheduled to the 23rd. No reason....
just frickin rescheduled.

I dunno whats worse... sittin at the door at 4:00 Pm every day panting like a dog in heat on a hot day, waiting for the UPS man... or knowing the date the stuff is going to arrive and checking up online every day... only to find that at least the "panting dog in heat" method leaves you with an element of suprise at the end of the day when he does not show up!

Bean

Man I woke up this morning with a spring in my step knowing this pump would be here! What a complete drag......Then the sorry SOBs are gonna make me wait til Monday.
Mike

When I killed my lt I went with an alita also a 100. It is totally quite for me I cant hear it all in the fish room.

Mike

Well that is more good news on the Alita pumps. Now if I could just get my hands on the dog gone thing to find out for myself how great these pumps are!
Mike

Back