My 660 ballast blew up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

Anyone have a icecap 660 laying around or for sale? I have a new tank ready to go, but the stand isn't here yet. It should be here with in two weeks.

Wow, what a coincidence. I am having the same problem with my ballast. My local fish store in Portland has several new ones but I was advised to consider rewiring to a workhorse as Icecap has gone out of business.

Here's the thread in my local forum.

lighting.... What would you do???

I emailed Chris at CoralVue about repair options on a 660 we have and also asked about if a comparable product to the 430/660 was coming from CoralVue and this is what I got...

"We plan to offer our own version of the 660 ballast later this week, they will be 100% compatible with the existing Icecap ballasts and harnesses currently in the field."

Sounds good to me...

Wow, what a coincidence. I am having the same problem with my ballast. My local fish store in Portland has several new ones but I was advised to consider rewiring to a workhorse as Icecap has gone out of business.

Here's the thread in my local forum.

lighting.... What would you do???

I have a pair of 660's that were rebuilt 14 years ago and still work.
If you can get new ones at a reasonable price, you should get them. They are great ballasts.

I have a pair of 660's that were rebuilt 14 years ago and still work.
If you can get new ones at a reasonable price, you should get them. They are great ballasts.

What's a reasonable price? My LFS was selling the new ones for 100 dollars.

What's a reasonable price? My LFS was selling the new ones for 100 dollars.

I don't want to rate a brick and mortar stores price with all the internet shops around.
I can say that I've been very happy with IceCap ballasts for many years.

I've seen a few used ones going for $65 to $75, so a brand new one for $100 doesn't seem bad.

I just picked up 3 used IceCap 250watt mh ballasts, not because I need them atm, but ...................just in case.

Thanks, I thought long and hard about buying a new one, but decided use two of my three 250W MH's. I got word that my stand won't be ready till the end of the month now, so I figured this will be the best option until I can set the new tank up. Hey have any of you guys noticed that looking at your tank with MH hurts your eyes. I'm not looking at the bulbs, but I can't spend 10 minutes looking at the tank before my eyes feel really bad. Any thoughts? How do you feed with these thing running, use sun glasses?

Unrelated/related subject

I have a Current 48" 2 by 250 MH light system, about 3 years old. Since they are no longer made, needed to know what brand/kind of ballast and where to get spare parts

thanks in advance.

tom

Back