My 72 Gallon Bowfront Reef Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Probably a good idea. Is that eel still behaving? I know my buddies Snowflake made a good size damsel disappear in his FO tank last year.

eel is still behaving. no fish have gone missing yet. one of the clownfish died but i havent figured out why yet. flushed him last week.

recently had a hair algae investation go out of control. got a slug that is currently making short work of it....

Post #300! (Update+Pics)

Well, this being my 300th post I figured I would update my tank thread.

So since the last pictures were uploaded, I have had to start battling both Aiptasia as well as Hair Algae.

For the Aiptasia I bought a Copperband Butterfly Fish, though he doesn't seem too interested in the Aiptasia :mad: Oh well...I have setup Berghia tanks which I will use to breed Berghia in order to kill off all the Aiptasia.

For the hair Algae I have bought a Sea Hare which seems to be eating the Hair Algae, though there is a ton of it and it will be awhile before it can make too much of a noticeable difference.

Current livestock:

1 Maroon Clownfish
1 Copperband Butterfly Fish
2 Engineer Gobies

1 Sea Hare
1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Snowflake Moray Eel

I will also have a nano tank very soon to which I can move my corals...those that have survived :doubt:

And finally some pictures :D

COPPERBAND BUTTERFLY FISH

fishh.jpg

fishh4.jpg

fishh6.jpg

MAROON CLOWNFISH

fishh3.jpg

ENGINEER GOBY (1 of 2)

fishh5.jpg

FULL TANK SHOT

fishh2.jpg

So any compliments or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks for looking!

Oh and i decided that every 100 posts now I am going to upload a video to youtube of the tank. They will be uploaded to www.youtube.com/ultimatereeftanks awesome username right? :lol:

Last edited:
Yes! I just got an EShopps PSK-100H HOB Protein Skimmer! Thanks to iroll253 for the great deal ;)

I'll post some pictures of the whole sump later

Wow the water quality in the tank is amazing now...I will see if I can't take a couple of pictures later tonight (with camera instead of cell this time haha). Also I made the decision to kill all the live rock and then seed it...There is just way too much aiptasia and hair algae.

As an update I am getting a 270 gallon reef tank in my basement...woohoo! Since the 72 gallon tank does not have lights yet I might just go and leave this as a FOWLR, since I will have a much bigger reef tank :D Besides, then I can buy all those cool puffer fish and other fish that aren't reef safe that I have always wanted...

Post #400

Hey, so here is an info update. In post pictures in a bit in a new post, and I'll add a video to the youtube here in a bit.

Also, I have added a nano tank to my collection. There is currently a yellow damsel in there cycling it. There will be a link in my signature soon, once I create a thread for it...speaking of which, would that belong in the nano tanks forum or the members showcase forum?

So now to the 72 gallon...I have a new skimmer on it, which has really helped. Also, I decided to kill off most of the rocks, as there was nothing on them other then hair algae and aiptasia. So now the Aiptasia seems to be mostly gone, there is still some work on the hair algae.

No fish have left or been added since my last update. Except I have no seen the camel shrimp, which I had previously suspected was gone (I dont get it, you tell me how the thing has survived a year in a tank with the snowflake eel)

Pic's in a bit :)

Well I killed the rocks which were just COVERED in hair algae and aiptasia. I actually havent noticed any aiptasia (yet) and hair algae is now down to a MUCH more managable stage. I have actually been killing off the rock for about 1 1/2 weeks, so just earlier today I decided to add all but about 21 lbs back in. The tank looks a lot better in my opinion, with a little less rock and a little more open space.

Next fish? Maybe a tang or an Anthia.

By the way, is it just me, or does someone else find it odd that we live in a society where pizza arrives at your house before the police?

Last edited:
YEAH! I now have a t-5 setup with 440 watts of light! I guess now this is actually a reef tank :lol: I also picked up a ton of zoa's from lui, so this has been an exciting day.

Anyone want pics???

Back