My 90g braceless framless build!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IM thinking a school of lyretail anthias, school of chromis and a powder blue tang...maybe a midas blenny!!! its tough planning it out though, any suggestions?

looking good my friend what kinds of fish are you going to have in that baby???

Very sweet! Can't help you with the fish... although I think a mated pair of gold striped maroons would really like living in the tank ;)

thanks, I really like the way it turned out! I bought the mermeaid from a shop on the central coast that imports all of their product from bali, its about a 1/2" thick so I just glued it to the hood and stained it.

That tank is turning out to be real nice!!! I like the mermaid on your canopy did you have that engraved on there?

I may give clowns a shot one more time but I think I have pretty much given up on clowns all together :( I tried a few perculas back in the day when my 40g reef was in full bloom and I had no luck. They always ended up swimming around for a few weeks with their endtrails hanging out and then I would loose them. I even tried a few different shops to make sure that I wasnt just geetting bad specimens. So I finally tried a white stripe maroon and he made it. He was an awesome looking fish(tons of bllack), and it only took him like a week to find my rbta. The bad thing was he decicded that he loved the rbta som much that he had to chew off the tentacles one by one untill the entire thing shrivled up and went under a rock to die....so I guess you can say Im a liuttle bitter when it comes to clowns :) lol

Very sweet! Can't help you with the fish... although I think a mated pair of gold striped maroons would really like living in the tank ;)

alright guys, I still dont have a sump but I did get my ca reactor in the mail a few days ago :) I staged all the equipment in the stand to see how its going to work out and I think if I go with a 24" sump Ill have room for all of it! heres a pic, tell me what you guys think about weather or not I need more room for maintanace and such!!!

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

Quick thought, do not forget to change that outlet behind the tank to a GFCI if thats what you plan to use for power.

logiktest tahnks for the input, I am def planning on running a few gfci's on a few outlets behind the stand!!!

well its been a while since the last update! Things are moving pretty slowly right now, I have been messing with my favorite part(lighting). I now have a single l3 and 2xl3 mini's, I dont know what to do though...the single large reflector covers the tank nicely however the pair of minis covers it even nicer!!! with a single 250 10k i can run two vhos and have a nice balanced color. with two 250 10k bulbs I afraid the mh will overpower the vho so if I do the double mh then I will def want to run 4 vho bulbs for balance!!! dont really want to do 12 or 14k bulbs as they look too blue for my liking...I have now tried hamilton and reeflux and the standard coralvue all in 10k and think so far I like the look of the hamilton the best! I still need to have a go at the xm's before I decide

looks great so far!

I think your sump setup will be fine, you might try to leave room for a phosban reactor as well, maybe you can hang it above the return pump though. Remember an auto top-off as well, I don't know how I lived so long without mine. I take it you're going to run a 90 off the return pump for the intake, correct?

Are you planning on using any powerheads?

Maybe give us an overhead drawing of under your stand if you like.

what do you guys think of this design? I will still be adding a filter sock and rack for the ph and temp probes but this is moslty what it will ook like...any suggestion for changes before I order it?
new.jpg

Make the third baffle about a half inch shorter than the first to allow easier water flow out of the baffle section. You don't want to back the flow up so much that the water overtops the middle baffle.

some more pics of the setup

sump being planned out
Picture091-1.jpg

Picture092.jpg

first try at making overflow teeth
Picture097.jpg

second try :) still not so good
Picture098.jpg

finally decided to make a guide
Picture093.jpg

Picture090-1.jpg

end result :)
Picture099.jpg

oh yeah, the lights are done! went with two hamilton 10k's and 4x39w t5's powered by a ic660
heres a shot
Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Last edited:
thanks, the teeth were cut with a router. All I did was drill holes 1/4" apart and move the guide outward for each tooth! pretty easy, at least easier than I thought it would be :)

for my baffles I went to the local plastic shop and ha them cut the dims that I needed. Purchased some weldon 4 and a applicator and went to work!!! heres some more shots of the sump progress

Picture019.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture016.jpg

before glueing anything into the sump I wanted to try some more acrylic work for practice so I decided to try making a horizontal overflow!!! I think it came out pretty nice

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Last edited:
probably sand and rock this coming friday...then I probably wont add a fish for about one and a half to two months...just a clean up crew! anyone have any great fish suggestions?

Back