My 90G starphire/rimless cube build thread

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

So I guess it is time to finally get a thread started about this. I've had my 65G up and running for almost three years now and it has been great. I've always drooled over those cool rimless cubes and I finally found a builder (Joel from Waves Marine in Portland) who will build a 30x30x24 starphire tank, which equates to roughly 90G. I got quotes from all over the place but shipping generally negated any good deals so I was happy to find something that is within driving distance to pick up. I put the deposit in almost a month ago and I'm hoping to have the tank in my hands by the end of the month. Here is the list of equipment.

-1/2" starphire glass cube (30Wx30Lx24T) w/external overflow box
-Two Vortech MP40W's for flow (I have one now and love it, I'll buy another one soon).
-Eheim 1260 return pump (currently on my 65G), probably plumbed through two 3/4" returns
-Octopus CR140 calcium reactor (currently on my 65G, thanks Todd!)
-The skimmer is still up in the air but it is looking like an Octopus Pro OPS-250E
-I'll be doing a hanging canopy (matching the stand) that will have a full sized Lumenarc and a 20K Radium running on a Blue Wave HQI Ballast w/adjustable pulley system
-I plan to have something else small in the canopy for dusk/dawn.
-Probably keep my 15G sump to house the skimmer and return pump, add another 5-10G tank for the fuge.
-Keep my current ATO setup

I plan to keep an SPS/LPS dominate system. I sold off all of the LR that had any softies attached so I plan to transfer the rock from my current tank into the new one. I'm also going to do a DIY rock/foam back wall that will have two open spaces for the Vortech's so those will blend in. I plan to order some rock from bulkreefsupply.com to make the wall so the foam/epoxy can cure without killing off any of my current LR. I also want to build some type of cool arch/structure using PVC rods for the main rock in the tank. I want something simple that will leave plenty of sand space and room for growth.

Considering I don't have the tank quite yet, I plan to build the hanging canopy first. I ordered a DIY 2x24W with actinic bulbs from here:
http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=30
I already have an 18" URI Super Actinic R but it is really blue so I thought I would try out their actinics, which are supposedly more of a purple look. I'll have the PC's on Wednesday so I quickly rig them up and see if I like the color better than my VHO (while still being a "pure 420nm actinic"). If I don't like either, I'll get the 2x24W T5 actinics from MarineDepot since I know I like the color of the Giesemann pure actinics.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...w~idProduct~GL2731~idCategory~FILTRTRFT5.html
The canopy may have to be a little larger since the T5's only come in 24" lengths so I want to avoid that if possible.

Once my actinics are figured out I'll start building the canopy as I have the rest of the lighting sitting here. I am always open to suggestions so please chime in if anyone thinks of anything. I'll update as things progress!

This is a member of a local club I'm in with almost the same dimensions as your's. He's a member of RF too but never finished his thread on here. Check it out. You might see something you like.

http://www.cvreefers.org/showthread.php?t=7487

I would like to check out that 65g you got. Do you have a thread on here with picks?

Adam

Adam,
Thanks for that link, I'll go through it and see what I can come up with. Here is the thread from my current tank, though it hasn't been updated in a VERY long time. Just about everything has changed other than the original lighting and stand/canopy.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9679

Here was a picture before I started selling off some of the rock:
fulltank-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that 65g looks great. I would put that rbta in the middle of your new tank. Nah Put a huge colony of pink birdsnest there! Maybe pink and ponape mixed together!

Looks awesome Rick! You gotta put that frogspawn right in the middle of your new tank. It's awesome.

Speaking of the frogspawn, blazzer you fragged that and sold chunks of it off on craigslist, right? I'm pretty darn sure I got 3 heads of it (on it's way to 5 now).

Wow that 65g looks great. I would put that rbta in the middle of your new tank. Nah Put a huge colony of pink birdsnest there! Maybe pink and ponape mixed together!

I sold off one of the RBTA's but I kept the other which will go into the new tank. I sort of cherry picked my favorite stuff from my 65G that I'll transfer over. I'm sure my frogspawn will enjoy some more room.

Speaking of the frogspawn, blazzer you fragged that and sold chunks of it off on craigslist, right? I'm pretty darn sure I got 3 heads of it (on it's way to 5 now).

Yep, that was probably me. I'm glad to hear it is doing well for you. If it is anything like my experience, you will be one your way to 100+ heads before you know it :) I probably fragged 25-30 heads from it and it still looks the same size, lol.

I was able to make a little progress today. I didn't like the PC actinics that I got so I will be using my URI Super Actinic R. The good thing is the bulb w/end caps is less than 19" so I can keep the canopy nice and compact. The final dimensions are something like 20"x21"x10.5". I understand the bulb will block a little bit of the light the way I have it setup but I didn't want the bulb to hang below the canopy and light up the whole room. I figure the lumenarc will still put out enough light. I'll finish up the wiring tomorrow and hopefully paint the inside, and then start the trim and stain work by this weekend.

IMG_6123-Edit.jpg

Here is my current canopy which I also built, I will be using the same trim design.
Canopy.jpg

Everything is moving right along. I have the canopy all framed, trimmed, and mostly stained. I also have the wiring all squared away for the canopy as well. I'm still wondering if I should add some vents in the top to allow some of the heat to escape. Does anyone have a link to some nice vent covers? I don't think fans will be necessary though but I'm open to opinions. Also, I heard from Joel and my glass has come in and he is working on it. He said I am still on track to pick it up on the 25th so we'll see how things go. I'll be down in Vancouver for a wedding on the 24th so I'm hoping to snag the tank while I'm down there. I'll update with some pictures of the canopy once its all finished.

Last edited:
Here is a quick update. I finally finished up the canopy and got everything stained/wired. Here is a quick shot of the canopy:
IMG_6178-Edit.jpg

IMG_6176-Edit.jpg

I heard back from Joel and the tank is getting build right now and we are still on schedule for the 25th. Also, I decided on the skimmer. I ordered up a Warner Marine AS-200 from Jon and that will be delivered on Thursday. I considered everything from an MSX/Octo Extreme, Octopus Pro 250, and even BK or an ATB small cone. I thought the WM AS-200 gave the best performance for the price. I'm sure that will skim the heck out of this new tank just fine. More updates once I pick the tank up.

Great work on the canopy! I've seen pics of those WM skimmers and the stuff they pull out is crazy!

I've really heard nothing but good things about the WM skimmer. I wanted something that would be plug and play since I don't want to have to tweak, trim, etc, to get good skimmate.

Construction looks top notch as well.
How much more was the WM with the Eheim?
I read that there was no noticeable difference between the Sedra and the Eheim models.

Construction looks top notch as well.
How much more was the WM with the Eheim?
I read that there was no noticeable difference between the Sedra and the Eheim models.

I think the Eheim is like a $300 upgrade or something, which I didn't feel is worth it. Everything I've read through says the Sedra pulls 1000 lph without any mods, which is more than the Eheim, and up to 1400 lph with mesh. I mean, this is only a 90G tank and the AS-200 is complete overkill as is, lol.

Back