My 90gallon Build!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I sometimes wish I could afford to buy High End equipment for my livestock. Sometime life deals people different hands to play.
I find myself having to get by with my DIY stuff. I try to keep it practical and sufficient for the job it needs to perform.
I am always looking for a good deal like NomercyMike had to offer. I would have liked to get one of his sumps, but being I am unemployed I cant even afford the gas to get there too pick it up. Maybe I could figure out how to build one cheaper!!
I'm not saying I have all this MONeY in the world to buy what I want because I struggle to!!! And I never posted anything that would ever put down or disrespect anyone that post was not to SHOW OFF theses skimmers it was to ask for other refers opinions for my 90G build because I can't make my mind up and maybe people have some other input on which skimmer they think i should use!!! Please YOUR opinions?? But if there is something you really need for your system and I have extra of I would most definitely let u borrow or pass it on to you to help your livestock thrive!!! That's why we reefers need to help each other out to have a successful reef or FOWLR system!!! So if that post affended you I REALLY Appologize!!! Thanks peppi and good luck on your reefing!!!

I sometimes wish I could afford to buy High End equipment for my livestock. Sometime life deals people different hands to play.
I find myself having to get by with my DIY stuff. I try to keep it practical and sufficient for the job it needs to perform.
I am always looking for a good deal like NomercyMike had to offer. I would have liked to get one of his sumps, but being I am unemployed I cant even afford the gas to get there too pick it up. Maybe I could figure out how to build one cheaper!!
And I have a 25g (the sump I'm using now for my 90g fish tank that I would like to pass to you if you really need it???? That is the only way to STOP TAKING from our OCEANS!!! We reefers are NEED to help each other if really needed!!!! And that is the hand that The Lord gave me to play so let me kno what you really need and I may have it my #253-232-9909 sorry guys on changing the thread!!! Thanks for looking and following will post pics today on my 55gsump build for my 90g BOW!!!

If you look at my old post all that was made by me all electrical,reflectors,sumps,at one point skimmers (using home depot acrylic)doing a bunch of research on dimensions for high end skimmers and attempt to make them lol, but this time around I have a very great job and this time around I'm trying to go all out for my 90g BOW!!! And I will need you guys to help me along the way because I know all systems are different and I know this build will be a good and hopefully successful one. Thanks for following!!!

Both skimmers are good. the etts has the disadvantage of being harder to take apart and clean and requiring larger pumps to run but, downdraft skimmer have great contact time and really breakdown protiens. The thing that stands out for me though is you have the electrical ballast installed right there between the pump and skimmer....thats asking for a shocking experience! and the etss looks like its running a little wet. I would raise it up a bit so its about a foot higher...at least high enough for the outlet to be higher than the sump ( I belive this fact should be in the instructions)

your rockwork looks awesome but the shelves are a little too high for my taste as they will shade too much below them, but thats a personal preference.

I noticed you have the entires sump area lit up, again for my tastes thats a maintainance problem with growing algea everywhere.

what do you run in the canister filter? I see people use them for carbon etc, but they are just a detritus trap and nitrate factory if not constantly cleaned.

can't wait to this come along!!!

Both skimmers are good. the etts has the disadvantage of being harder to take apart and clean and requiring larger pumps to run but, downdraft skimmer have great contact time and really breakdown protiens. The thing that stands out for me though is you have the electrical ballast installed right there between the pump and skimmer....thats asking for a shocking experience! and the etss looks like its running a little wet. I would raise it up a bit so its about a foot higher...at least high enough for the outlet to be higher than the sump ( I belive this fact should be in the instructions)

your rockwork looks awesome but the shelves are a little too high for my taste as they will shade too much below them, but thats a personal preference.

I noticed you have the entires sump area lit up, again for my tastes thats a maintainance problem with growing algea everywhere.

what do you run in the canister filter? I see people use them for carbon etc, but they are just a detritus trap and nitrate factory if not constantly cleaned.

can't wait to this come along!!!
Thanks for that important info on that ELECTRIFYING BIG mistake I made due to tryin to rush and set my Equiptment up!!! Wish I new how to give u a point KPIOTROWSKI!!! Hahahaa it will removed today!!! And the canister has boi media with a seachem bag of Carbon just till my tank becomes Equalibrium then I will remove and add my fully cured rock into my system wait a couple of weeks and then start adding more livestock more gradually!!! And for the sump area I only have a 30" or so Flourecense fixture ("the Super Actinics are coming out thank to KPIOTROWSKI!!! Hahahaaa banks for tagging along and I will post pics on my 55sump build!!! Thanks for looking and your very hELPFUL INPUT!!!

So here it is my 55g all cleaned up an ready for baffles to be put in!!! And I now made my kind up on using the ATI bubble master because it will fit perfectly in the 55g sump and still have room for me to put a section of rubble coral pieces,chato,2" of what's left of my pink Bimini/pink Fiji aragonite sand, and very porouse bigger pieces of rock for my pods!!!! Let me know what you think of my plan for the sump???? Thanks for following!!!

So here it is my 55g all cleaned up an ready for baffles to be put in!!! And I now made my kind up on using the ATI bubble master because it will fit perfectly in the 55g sump and still have room for me to put a section of rubble coral pieces,chato,2" of what's left of my pink Bimini/pink Fiji aragonite sand, and very porouse bigger pieces of rock for my pods!!!! Let me know what you think of my plan for the sump???? Thanks for following!!!
55g all cleans ready for baffles!!!
E06532D1-ABB4-42BC-AE01-5C450D3E8E01-130-00000002B7E80B71.jpg

Left over sand!!
7452355B-0C88-47BA-B8BB-757FD63435B0-130-00000004DF1F8421.jpg

Tell you what we think? Honestly, with a name like "#1Reefkeepr"? You are setting the bar pretty high man! got to give us more than a craigslist special old 55g glass.

I am happy for you that you are so enthusiastic about this hobby. keep it up! thats the kind of passion it takes!

Tell you what we think? Honestly, with a name like "#1Reefkeepr"? You are setting the bar pretty high man! got to give us more than a craigslist special old 55g glass.

I am happy for you that you are so enthusiastic about this hobby. keep it up! thats the kind of passion it takes!
Thanks for the compliment Kpiotrowski lol here are the pics of my sump build but still need two-three more baffles where the GREEN lines are!! The green paper (chato) under the clear box with holes is to contain CHATO!!!
D2B4E4E3-E6C3-4000-87A1-109F17D8D99B-130-000000289B7121DE.jpg

sock holder will drill for bulk head fitting for inlet!!!
79776968-74CA-4630-9D53-2A8FE3B59FCD-130-00000028A189004E.jpg

let me kno what you think???

And I chose that name because it seemed like a cool name I'm not comparing myself to anybody or sayin I'm the best reefer out there!!! Just found a cool user name that no one had yet!!!

And I chose that name because it seemed like a cool name I'm not comparing myself to anybody or sayin I'm the best reefer out there!!! Just found a cool user name that no one had yet!!!
5F3A4B54-01A6-44C2-A36E-AF7842BE716E-130-00000028A993BF70.jpg

Sorry it took so long o post pics I had to save some money to get the supplies!!!

Will the overflow dump into chamber on the right (through the filter sock), then return pump in the middle?

I would've put the return pump on the far left but I'm still in the planning process on other opinions???? Heres another pic so u won't have to scroll!!!
5F3A4B54-01A6-44C2-A36E-AF7842BE716E-130-00000028A993BF70.jpg

I'm in the process of building a new sump in a 29. It will have the overflow drop into the chamber on the left (which also hold my skimmer), then 3 baffles to the refugium area, then a single baffle to my return area. Here's that my current 20l sump looks like. This is just the way I learned how to set up a sump. There are many, many different opinions on the subject and I in no way claim to be an expert. :)

My thought is "dirtiest" water into the skimmer, then refugium, then back into the dt.
attachment.php

*The filter sock is temporary to pull out the dust from the new sand. The tank is in the process of being set up.

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    50.8 KB
Last edited:
I'm in the process of building a new sump in a 29. It will have the overflow drop into the chamber on the left (which also hold my skimmer), then 3 baffles to the refugium area, then a single baffle to my return area. Here's that my current 20l sump looks like. This is just the way I learned how to set up a sump. There are many, many different opinions on the subject and I in no way claim to be an expert. :)

My thought is "dirtiest" water into the skimmer, then refugium, then back into the dt.
attachment.php

*The filter sock is temporary to pull out the dust from the new sand. The tank is in the process of being set up.
But I am taking in consideration that this skimmer is over rated for this system and if I do put the inlet where my skimmer is it "MAY" Skimm too much of the nutrients that my Chato,coral etc. need??? (IMO I would think so???) causing my corals to not get enough "Nutrients" they need!!! This is soon to be a reef in the next 2-6 months after I complete the Equiptment!!! So by me putting the skimmer on the left should give My chato and corals the nutrients they need before that skimmer can Skimm!!! ????

Nice sump setup and I like that skimmer stand you made I may use that idea!!! If needed to raise my skimmer!!!

But I am taking in consideration that this skimmer is over rated for this system and if I do put the inlet where my skimmer is it "MAY" Skimm too much of the nutrients that my Chato,coral etc. need??? (IMO I would think so???) causing my corals to not get enough "Nutrients" they need!!! This is soon to be a reef in the next 2-6 months after I complete the Equiptment!!! So by me putting the skimmer on the left should give My chato and corals the nutrients they need before that skimmer can Skimm!!! ????

there is some truth to that as far as if you want tons of pods in your cheato.....but its still moslty backwards compared to how most approach this hobby. Your cheato is a backup so to speak. if your sytem is so nutrient devoid that it won't grow then that would be a good thing. what type of corals are you planning....sounds like a softy tank right?

Back