My 90gallon Build!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

there is some truth to that as far as if you want tons of pods in your cheato.....but its still moslty backwards compared to how most approach this hobby. Your cheato is a backup so to speak. if your sytem is so nutrient devoid that it won't grow then that would be a good thing. what type of corals are you planning....sounds like a softy tank right?
As for now it will be a LPS,softies,Shrooms,Zoa,Acans,Sea fans,some sponges,till about a year from now then I will do SPS I have to be patient for SPS's and you are correct I have my chato there as a natural Skimmer!!! Would like lots of pods!!! For natural food!!!

Here it is!!! That triangle section will have 2" of sand with rubble rock,the center will have Porous rocks,under the clear acrylic box will go my chato to control growth!!!
Hope you all like I know it's different but I will post and record the health of water,livestock, and Plant
60906437-5940-450F-AC67-98923A149947-130-0000009303B9DC74.jpg

So you are going to have 2 sumps? One placed above the other? What is in the bottom sump? Which sump will the return pump pull out of? How are you going to balance the return pump with both of the sumps? And how are you going to balance the skimmer pump to the top sump.

Is the triangle piece of acrylic removable? How are you going to get in there to clean the sand?

So you are going to have 2 sumps? One placed above the other? What is in the bottom sump? Which sump will the return pump pull out of? How are you going to balance the return pump with both of the sumps? And how are you going to balance the skimmer pump to the top sump.

Is the triangle piece of acrylic removable? How are you going to get in there to clean the sand?
Yes two sumps, I pulled out some old pumps (both are exactly the same) I'm taking water from sump under system and returning the water back to the sump under the system (still in the works) both sumps about leveled with each other but 55g will be behind tank, (will post pics today of it in action), and for the return it will be returned back into Display by the sump under the display, and the return pump from the 55g to the 25g under the display is only a 450gph pump with head loss and the pump that's goin to be pumping the water from the 25g to the 55g is pumping at 500-550gph with head loss, keeping the water volume coming so that the last chamber with the skimmer shouldn't change I'm hoping if calculations is correct!!! And that triangle that will have sand/and coral pieces is just for pod breeding (not removable) and as for cleaning I would only stir the sand and it won't be too deep so it shouldn't be a nitrate trap!!!!

Yes two sumps, I pulled out some old pumps (both are exactly the same) I'm taking water from sump under system and returning the water back to the sump under the system (still in the works) both sumps about leveled with each other but 55g will be behind tank, (will post pics today of it in action), and for the return it will be returned back into Display by the sump under the display, and the return pump from the 55g to the 25g under the display is only a 450gph pump with head loss and the pump that's goin to be pumping the water from the 25g to the 55g is pumping at 500-550gph with head loss, keeping the water volume coming so that the last chamber with the skimmer shouldn't change I'm hoping if calculations is correct!!! And that triangle that will have sand/and coral pieces is just for pod breeding (not removable) and as for cleaning I would only stir the sand and it won't be too deep so it shouldn't be a nitrate trap!!!![/QUOTE]
Still don't know how exactly it's going to go but I'm in the process now so I will post pics after it all setup!!! Thanks for following everybody!!!

I'm not getting the stir the sand thing. Is it going to be a DSB? ( deep sand bed)

aslo, are your trying to pump water from one sump to another....and then pump it back with a matched pump? not understanding that one also.

I'm not getting the stir the sand thing. Is it going to be a DSB? ( deep sand bed)

aslo, are your trying to pump water from one sump to another....and then pump it back with a matched pump? not understanding that one also.
Not too deep was thinking 1.5-2" of sand then rubble rock on top!( but I ment I would need to stir the sand every once in a while!!!
and as for the pumps I'm figuring that out rite now for installation!!!

Yes two sumps, I pulled out some old pumps (both are exactly the same) I'm taking water from sump under system and returning the water back to the sump under the system (still in the works) both sumps about leveled with each other but 55g will be behind tank, (will post pics today of it in action), and for the return it will be returned back into Display by the sump under the display, and the return pump from the 55g to the 25g under the display is only a 450gph pump with head loss and the pump that's goin to be pumping the water from the 25g to the 55g is pumping at 500-550gph with head loss, keeping the water volume coming so that the last chamber with the skimmer shouldn't change I'm hoping if calculations is correct!!! And that triangle that will have sand/and coral pieces is just for pod breeding (not removable) and as for cleaning I would only stir the sand and it won't be too deep so it shouldn't be a nitrate trap!!!!
Still don't know how exactly it's going to go but I'm in the process now so I will post pics after it all setup!!! Thanks for following everybody!!![/QUOTE]

Two pumps of the same exact size, make, and model will not be equal in the amount of water they pump! If they were off by just 1/2 cup of water per hour, it wouldnt take long before water was either on your floor, or the pump section would run dry.

Interesting theory, but I think there may be some bugs to work out.
Think "Gravity"

I agree with peppie. the two pump set up is a disaster waiting to happen and it wont take long either.
Best thing to do is connect the two sumps by bulkheads and pvc pipe.

i need a little advice,

i hate to jump on your feed but as your running a same gallon tank as me maybe you can help.. , im buying a 90 gallon tank, and having it in my bedroom up stairs the tank it self is 30 inches long with cabinet aswell, i will then be standing it on a pine board that distributes the weight over the floor by an additional 15 inches each side, the floor of my bedroom is made up of standard floor boards and 2 x 4 beam work, the tank will be sitting against a solid wall, so they tank is going to be spread over 4 possibly 5 beams, where they are bolted to the wall... does this sound safe enough, will my floor withstand the weight?

i hate to jump on your feed but as your running a same gallon tank as me maybe you can help.. , im buying a 90 gallon tank, and having it in my bedroom up stairs the tank it self is 30 inches long with cabinet aswell, i will then be standing it on a pine board that distributes the weight over the floor by an additional 15 inches each side, the floor of my bedroom is made up of standard floor boards and 2 x 4 beam work, the tank will be sitting against a solid wall, so they tank is going to be spread over 4 possibly 5 beams, where they are bolted to the wall... does this sound safe enough, will my floor withstand the weight?

Yes it will hold the weight

Yes it will hold the weight
i recommend putting it in the corner of an Exteroir wall because that's where your beems are strongest!!! If it is going to have a sump!! Because over time your floor will bow!! And your best bet to MAKE SURE it can hold is ask for your BLUE PRINTS and you can calculate the MAX weight in your upstairs bedroom!!! Make sure that where you put your system it is leveled if not you can buy some styrofoam and put it under your tank and it will evenly distribute your tank to being level as long as your stand isn't 1-2" off of being leveled!!! Because believe it or not your second floor is not exactly leveled like your foundation!!!!

imo a layer of sand followed by rock rubble in your sump is just a detritus trap and nitrate factory.
I gotta disagree with you there KPItrowski because in that center chamber I will have lots of flow!!! And I will be stirring that sand bed to release any toxic gasses!!

I agree with peppie. the two pump set up is a disaster waiting to happen and it wont take long either.
Best thing to do is connect the two sumps by bulkheads and pvc pipe.
Yes I know it is a risk but its what I have to work with and I believe I can figure this out???? Hahahaa hopefully I can figure this out??? Wish I could connect the two sumps using bulk heads but money is tight after buying all this stuff!!!

Back