My 90gallon Build!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Thats how many where in the last post alone, I bet your loud in person hahaha jk couldn't help myself. That is a sweet fish BTW.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Thats how many where in the last post alone, I bet your loud in person hahaha jk couldn't help myself. That is a sweet fish BTW.
Nope actually quite but those !!!!! Is a habit from textin because I'm using my phone!!! Hahahaa no offense!!!

i recommend putting it in the corner of an Exteroir wall because that's where your beems are strongest!!! If it is going to have a sump!! Because over time your floor will bow!! And your best bet to MAKE SURE it can hold is ask for your BLUE PRINTS and you can calculate the MAX weight in your upstairs bedroom!!! Make sure that where you put your system it is leveled if not you can buy some styrofoam and put it under your tank and it will evenly distribute your tank to being level as long as your stand isn't 1-2" off of being leveled!!! Because believe it or not your second floor is not exactly leveled like your foundation!!!!

The "Floor Joists" are no stronger in the corner than they are at the center of a "Load Bearing" wall. As long as the tank is up against the load bearing wall and the floor joist run perpendicular to the tank your floor will not sag.
If your tank is 1/2'' out of level, a piece of foam will NOT correct the problem!
I my experience I have found that the foundation is more likely to be out of level than the 2nd floor.

We are trying to give solid information for people seeking advice here. Please if you volunteer info make sure you your facts are correct.
I dont want to sound rude, and wish not to make it sound like I know it all.

I would like to suggest that you do some testing on you 2 sump pump/s flow theory before you bring it all on line. Then have to tear it down and redo it.

If you need to level the tank, what I used was the composit shims from home depot. I leveled my 180 with them as I was filling it.
Foam is good for placing between an acrylic tank and the stand, but for under the stand, its not going to help any. You will do good with the plywood under the stand though. It will help, but is probably not needed. It will give you someplace to set things to hold wet stuff or when you splash water over the edge doing water changes it will help keep the carpet from getting too wet.

Are the sumps acrylic or glass? How far apart were you planning on placing them? I'd like to help you out with what you are planning. The two pump idea really concerns me. You could control the output on them with a gate valve to try to match the flow, but if one of those pumps gets the slightest bit of debri in it, it will change the output.

The "Floor Joists" are no stronger in the corner than they are at the center of a "Load Bearing" wall. As long as the tank is up against the load bearing wall and the floor joist run perpendicular to the tank your floor will not sag.
If your tank is 1/2'' out of level, a piece of foam will NOT correct the problem!
I my experience I have found that the foundation is more likely to be out of level than the 2nd floor.

We are trying to give solid information for people seeking advice here. Please if you volunteer info make sure you your facts are correct.
I dont want to sound rude, and wish not to make it sound like I know it all.

I would like to suggest that you do some testing on you 2 sump pump/s flow theory before you bring it all on line. Then have to tear it down and redo it.
I disagree with you about the floor joist Not being stronger in the Corner then it is in the center of the load Bering wall Is wrong?? Please explain why you THINK this???? I am only giving advise to what I would recommend because everybody's home is built differently and different woods for construction!! By telling TSPRAKE that it will hold could be a lie on our part I just recommended what I thought and please TSPRAKE don't install your tank untill you KNOW for sure your second floor can hold the weight!!! This is just precaution I am recomending you do??? And as for peepee This sump is something I've never done but tried it out, as for me bringing this FLOW THEORY online was to hopefully get help from others who are willing to help rather then have it all figured out by myself!! So this experiment is what I just wanted to do and if this pump thing doesn't work then I can simply use an overflow back to Display with bulk head a QUIK an easy fix!( I'm just experimenting buddy RELAX hahahahahahaaaa!!! TSPRAKE DON'T install your system think about it???........ the Corners in your home has a three points of contact with the MAIN beams,going parallel and horizontally and if you put your tank in the center you only have TWO going Horizontally unless there is another CENTER MIAN BEAM going across and you can see that beam one the first floor of your home if you look at the Cieling??? If you don't see AGAIN Please refer to your Blueprints!!! Just Saying!

Ohh sorry for changing the thread once more I just wanted to refer to that comment about the foam this is what I use and I never said 1-2" or even a half an inch I ment 1/8 of inch or less! This is what I use
830E81F5-5E20-400A-89CB-52AF3DC5082B-1382-00000114E38BF111.jpg

E168C7D7-4361-4B71-AE4C-7CFBD1D25BD6-1382-00000114E0BD9183.jpg

35582A2D-2603-4C37-8F79-582581E26FCD-1382-00000114DDECF3CB.jpg

this stuff is a good insulator and 1/8 of inch or less level (you may need to put a little weight if off leveled but just set the leveler on tank when filling!!! Just a suggestion!!! Sorry for major change of thread but u asked for help and I'm giving My opinion!!! Hope that helps!!!

I disagree with you about the floor joist Not being stronger in the Corner then it is in the center of the load Bering wall Is wrong?? Please explain why you THINK this???? I am only giving advise to what I would recommend because everybody's home is built differently and different woods for construction!! By telling TSPRAKE that it will hold could be a lie on our part I just recommended what I thought and please TSPRAKE don't install your tank untill you KNOW for sure your second floor can hold the weight!!! This is just precaution I am recomending you do??? And as for peepee This sump is something I've never done but tried it out, as for me bringing this FLOW THEORY online was to hopefully get help from others who are willing to help rather then have it all figured out by myself!! So this experiment is what I just wanted to do and if this pump thing doesn't work then I can simply use an overflow back to Display with bulk head a QUIK an easy fix!( I'm just experimenting buddy RELAX hahahahahahaaaa!!! TSPRAKE DON'T install your system think about it???........ the Corners in your home has a three points of contact with the MAIN beams,going parallel and horizontally and if you put your tank in the center you only have TWO going Horizontally unless there is another CENTER MIAN BEAM going across and you can see that beam one the first floor of your home if you look at the Cieling??? If you don't see AGAIN Please refer to your Blueprints!!! Just Saying!

Just curious on how many houses you have framed?????
Everybodys home is not built different in many many ways. There are codes that builders need to abide by. The joist that starts in the corner of a second floor framing system is 16'' away from the rim joist that is buried under the wall. So the joist that are in the center of the load bearing wall Will carry the same load as the joist running parallel to the load bearing wall.
Dude I was building homes before your Mom and Dad decided to start a family. I would be glad to hear about your 3 point theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for your sump you are on the right track by asking how to, when you dont know or you are not sure. I have been down that road many times. The road I decided to take was the accumulation of advice I received from the experienced reefers who have failed at that particular subject.

Ohh sorry for changing the thread once more I just wanted to refer to that comment about the foam this is what I use and I never said 1-2" or even a half an inch I ment 1/8 of inch or less! This is what I use
830E81F5-5E20-400A-89CB-52AF3DC5082B-1382-00000114E38BF111.jpg

E168C7D7-4361-4B71-AE4C-7CFBD1D25BD6-1382-00000114E0BD9183.jpg

35582A2D-2603-4C37-8F79-582581E26FCD-1382-00000114DDECF3CB.jpg

this stuff is a good insulator and 1/8 of inch or less level (you may need to put a little weight if off leveled but just set the leveler on tank when filling!!! Just a suggestion!!! Sorry for major change of thread but u asked for help and I'm giving My opinion!!! Hope that helps!!!

See there, Thats the difference between you and I . I wouldnt set my tank on a stand that wasnt level.

I gotta disagree with you there KPItrowski because in that center chamber I will have lots of flow!!! And I will be stirring that sand bed to release any toxic gasses!!

most actually clean their sumps of debri, not add a trap for it. You told me your previous tank failed due to overstocking which means high bioload right? I was trying to suggest how you can run your tank cleaner and not encourage a build up of junk...not to mention high maintaince which most try to avoid designing a high maintance system.

bare bottom in the sump with cheato will grow you tons of pods, I would still skim it before it runs through the cheato aslo. You seem pretty set in your ways though....and that will cause people to stop offering advice, at which point you can do it your way.

A 90 gal tank does not weigh that much. An AGA with solid wood stand and approx 100lbs of rock and approx 90 gals of water, allowing for a sump and displacement from the rock, the tank will weigh just under 900lbs. It averages 150lbs per sq ft and 12.5lbs per sq in. That is equivilent to 6 150lb people. Would you have 6 150lb people stand in a 4'x18" space on your up stairs floor? Get 6 150lb people up there and have them jump up and down.

Just curious on how many houses you have framed?????
Everybodys home is not built different in many many ways. There are codes that builders need to abide by. The joist that starts in the corner of a second floor framing system is 16'' away from the rim joist that is buried under the wall. So the joist that are in the center of the load bearing wall Will carry the same load as the joist running parallel to the load bearing wall.
Dude I was building homes before your Mom and Dad decided to start a family. I would be glad to hear about your 3 point theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for your sump you are on the right track by asking how to, when you dont know or you are not sure. I have been down that road many times. The road I decided to take was the accumulation of advice I received from the experienced reefers who have failed at that particular subject.
There is a way using exterior pumps with gate valves as IPISCES said I just need the money to do it so my build is on hold but rock will be curing in the sump, sorry for the wait but will send pics later!! Thanks for following.

There is a way using exterior pumps with gate valves as IPISCES said I just need the money to do it so my build is on hold but rock will be curing in the sump, sorry for the wait but will send pics later!! Thanks for following.

Dont forget this part of the statement I made "but if one of those pumps gets the slightest bit of debri in it, it will change the output."
Any change in output is going to cause one of the sumps to fill and the other to empty faster that the other and if you have to spend the money for gate valves, I would rather spend the money on bulkheads. I have some I will give you if you decide to go the route of bulheads and pvc. I probably have some of that too.

Off subject but Im just recomending to do as I suggested because it would suck if something "MAY" go wrong. Hope you make take precautions!!!

I also dont think you can adjust the gate valves even enough to keep two clear pumps in tune with each other. Especially if one has a different headloss from the other.

Dont forget this part of the statement I made "but if one of those pumps gets the slightest bit of debri in it, it will change the output."
Any change in output is going to cause one of the sumps to fill and the other to empty faster that the other and if you have to spend the money for gate valves, I would rather spend the money on bulkheads. I have some I will give you if you decide to go the route of bulheads and pvc. I probably have some of that too.
Thanks a lot and I am taking that into consideration that any debris or a failed pump!!! Hahahahaaaa Man honestly this is a headache but I've never tried it and just wanted to add more volume for my soon to be reef so my livestock can be happy!!!

so here is a way you can connect 2 sumps together without bulkheads or uniseals, not the ideal but will work. put both sumps side by side, make several U tubes out of 3/4 pvc, similar to a J tube used in HOB overflow boxes. One end of the U tube get place in sump a, the other in sump b, both about an inch off the bottom. depending on your return pump gph I would use 2-3 U tubes, fill both sumps half way with water and use a power head to create a syphon through the U tubes between the sumps. as long as the syphon never breaks they will work pretty reliable. I did this below a 55g once and used two 10g tanks for the sump because thats all that would fit in the stand, one sump recieved water from the DT, and the other return it.

I would just elevate the first tank and put an overflow box on it to feed the next. Or drill the two tanks at the same point across from each other and tie them together with bulk heads and a coupling.

I would just elevate the first tank and put an overflow box on it to feed the next. Or drill the two tanks at the same point across from each other and tie them together with bulk heads and a coupling.
Yes all these are ideas are perfect but I have to keep trying and figure out how to do this in the most efficient and effective way!!! My system needs this Refugium in the future!! But sump build is on hold till I figure this out????? KPTROWSKI I kinda like that idea but I have to figure a more reliable way but I think I'm going to do some tests with that right after work!!!
But I added some fully cured pieces to my Display!!! Hope you guys like???
86FF6E9D-ADD3-47A6-9C8E-299B204117BF-1586-0000014C7360E0EF.jpg
the aqua scape isn't done yet.
Amd here is pic of wat I'm working with behind my system??? Maybe you can get a good idea??? Sorry about the pic I will take better ones after work!!!
8E2BDBD6-C3CB-4C60-B545-C4D4CB0A3FE3-1586-0000014C78665151.jpg

The most reliable way is to attached the 2 sumps via bulkheads and pipe...but I thought you didn't want to do that.

Back