My Aquarium! :) *Lots Of Pics* 10/11/2009

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SmileyFace1995

Just thought id show everyone here my aquarium :)
Well first off i have a 55g, & 75g the 55g was my first aquarium ever, and i decided to make it saltwater, i got it at a garage sale for $55 with stand and hood, i bought a Rena XP3 Filter Rated for 75g/350GPH. I bought 3 damsels & 25lbs of LR from a LPS let them cycle the tank for about 1 1/2 - 2months, then got 2 clownfish from a friend going to college. Then about 4months later, i got the 75g for free from a friend, it came with 2PC fixtures, 2bulbs & 4bulb, a rena Xp3 a protein skimmer and also, 2clownfish,bluetang,yellowtang and quiet a bit of LR. i established that for about 1month than put 2 clownfish in that and put all the corals into my established 55g, left them in there and the lights from the 75g on that, for about 6months.
Yesturday i bought a new fixture for my 55g, its 36" 150watt MH , and 2x 39Watt t5's
Heres Pics i took today! :D
Sorry about quality took with my phone!

Full View Of Tank & New Lights! :)
1011091456.jpg

Little Closer View
1011091456a.jpg

Right Side Of Tank
1011091457.jpg

Middle Of tank
1011091457a.jpg

Left Side Of tank
1011091457b.jpg

Picture of Different Tank 75g. clowny wanted to say hi :)
1011091501.jpg

Another pic of other tank
1011091501a.jpg

Last edited:
Nemo & Namo's Hideout :D
1011091500f.jpg

Pulsing Xenia Well whats left of it :(
1011091500e.jpg

Closeup of Mushroom [Can u help id plz?]
1011091500d.jpg

More Mushrooms :) [Same as in last pic]
1011091500c.jpg

More Mushrooms :) [Can u help id?]
1011091500b.jpg

Even More Mushrooms :) [Can u help id these 2! thanks]
1011091500a.jpg

Hidden Mushroom on LR [ Same as in 1st mushroom pic]
1011091500.jpg

Last edited:
Panorama of 55g & 75g
1011091459a.jpg

Another Panorama of 55g & 75g
1011091459.jpg

Another Panorama of 55g & 75g
1011091458.jpg

Nemo & Namo Sleeping in there home! Without Flash [Mushrooms]
sleepingfish2.jpg

Nemo & Namo Sleeping With Flash
sleepingfish.jpg

Last edited:
I think it is great! A great start! I think the shrooms in the first pic are green hairy mushrooms... I have some of them & they get really BIG!

I think it is great! A great start! I think the shrooms in the first pic are green hairy mushrooms... I have some of them & they get really BIG!

Oh thankyou :) , well you cant really notice, the green until i got my actnic bulbs. :) and i might take better pics with my camera rather than my phone, but i think they didnt turn out too bad.
& does anyone have recomendations on some corals i should get?

In a nut shell, it's saying that your tang should be in at least a 6 ft long tank. That's all.

Good start to the setup :)

oh :( so... i thought alot of people have tangs in 55's, i actually have 2 tangs, a scopus, and blue tang. my yellow tang passed away :( i might put them in my
75g which is 4ft long

Tangs swim miles and miles a day. I had a yellow tang and a naso in my 180g tank and I swear they swam the legnth of that tank at least 1000+ time daily. You might be able to get away with one small tang in a 75g tank, but again, not for very long, they will feel to confined causing stress leading to the death of that fish. You really shouldn't have tangs in tanks under 120g. That's just my opinion, take it or leave it, but that's my experiance.

oh :( so... i thought alot of people have tangs in 55's, i actually have 2 tangs, a scopus, and blue tang. my yellow tang passed away :( i might put them in my
75g which is 4ft long

Yes they do. I myself actully have a 6" rabbit in my 155 and a 3"blue tang, 4"red sea sailfin, and now a 3" purple tang(measuring from nose to end of tail). If lee knew about that he would probably come take all my fish away.

To me they look like they still have plenty of room to swim around. In a few years though (maybe less) i will probably end up upgrading to a larger tank (300gallon) because of the fish if i want to keep them:D i would like to upgrade anyway as this tank is looking small now

Hi! Nice start. The url that fatboy included was from the Marine Fish forum and talks about what size tank are best in certain tanks. You should check out some of the threads in that forum; its really helpful.
As far as corals I would recommend Digitata Montipora. I am a newbie too and have had amazing results with this coral - it is great for us newbies - you'll really like it!

Uhmm i dont get this url?!
It's because you have a blue tang in that tank. I'm the one who posted that original post and have decided not to house one in my 110g.
It's all about the swimming room and if it's not atiquate the fish can get stressed and sick easaly.
If I was you I would trade off the tangs to someone who has the room for them for some corals you might like or other fish more suted to smaller tanks :D

But after deciding not to house one in my 110 I would say the 75 is still not going to do that fish any good.

Tangs swim miles and miles a day. I had a yellow tang and a naso in my 180g tank and I swear they swam the legnth of that tank at least 1000+ time daily. You might be able to get away with one small tang in a 75g tank, but again, not for very long, they will feel to confined causing stress leading to the death of that fish. You really shouldn't have tangs in tanks under 120g. That's just my opinion, take it or leave it, but that's my experiance.

I stare at my tank for hours everyday and none of my fish swim back and forth threw the tank. They all stay at the left side of my tank and might fenture over to the right side everynow and again, but everytime i look at the tank thats where they are.

It all depends on the fish and the person. Like I said, my Tangs swam up and down the tank unless they saw me and then they would stay in the corner until I fed them. I've seen tangs in a 4ft tank look completly happy, but those tanks were also 2 and 3 feet deep. Again, it all depends on the person and what they wanna keep, nobody has control over that.

Hi! Nice start. The url that fatboy included was from the Marine Fish forum and talks about what size tank are best in certain tanks. You should check out some of the threads in that forum; its really helpful.
As far as corals I would recommend Digitata Montipora. I am a newbie too and have had amazing results with this coral - it is great for us newbies - you'll really like it!

Whats the name for Digitata Montipora ... cuz i cant find anything about it, and can where can i find it?

It all depends on the fish and the person. Like I said, my Tangs swam up and down the tank unless they saw me and then they would stay in the corner until I fed them. I've seen tangs in a 4ft tank look completly happy, but those tanks were also 2 and 3 feet deep. Again, it all depends on the person and what they wanna keep, nobody has control over that.

yeah i know my tang seems happy, stays in its corner all day swims around. but idk :(

Back