My ASM Skimmer Pump just died

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I took my sump out yesterday to replace the outlet behind the tank after putting it back in the Sedra ksp-5000 pump wont do anything. No noise no movement of the impeller. nothing. Anyone have an extra one or a suggestion to get it going? I took out the impeller and plugged it into another outlet.

I can't find one in town, so I am out a week or so to order one. Bad timing as new lights caused some die off and my tank is cycling right now. really need a skimmer. Thanks . .

Try soaking the impeller in vinegar over night. Sometimes ceramic shaft will build up with Calcium and wont give you problems until you shut off the pump. Id almost bet that is your issue. If not, I have a CPR back pak with an airstone mod you can borrow until you get the problem taken care of.

I have given up on it and ordered a new one. The shaft is perfect, the impeller spins freely. Nothing happens when it is plugged in. I think something happened to a connection inside. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jim, Clean the plug and wiggle the prongs a bit. Then away from any water, plug it into an outlet and wiggle the wire including near the plug and near the pump while it is plugged in. Perhaps the wire broke inside the cord.

It spins freely on the shaft, but plugging it in has no effect at all. I think moving it caused a break in the connection. Frustrating part is it takes two weeks and a hundred bucks to get a new one. No one stocks them. I ordered one from Champion Lighting. I think the are the importer. They are definitely the cheapest. Everyone wants two weeks.

Back