My BMW X5 saved children's life

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Saltyfish

Banned
On May 13th (wednesday) I took my daughter to school on my way home just leaving the school I was struck by a speeding motorist.

This driver was speeding at the rate of 40 MPH through a 20 MPH school zone. The 1984 Ford was going so fast when the mini van in front of him slowed down to make her turn and wait for children to cross the road he had to dart around her to avoid hitting her.

I was in the middle of my left turn and he struck my car at 40 MPH. My car blocked the 1984 Ford from continuing on and hitting one or more children crossing the road trying to get to school.

Although my car will never be the same to me I was thanked by school officials and parents for saving the life of at least one child.
No serious injuries resulted from this and both myself and the driver of the 1984 Ford walked away.

As you can see my car is pretty bad, the 1984 Ford was total loss. I could not make out the model of the car before they towed it away.

Last edited:
Dude that car is cursed! Im glad no one was hurt but that thing has been nothing but problems for ya. Im sure sorry pal.

Yeah I told my wife maybe this is a sign. If I want to get rid of it now the only thing I can hope for is frame damage. Frame Damage = Total Loss.

Just the damage you can see has an $8,000.00 price tag on it, they are still taking it apart and checking the manual for every small part.

I do not think there is frame damage though, the other side of the car is perfect, the tech said normally they would see some sort of stress on the other side or inside the engine compartment.

All well I can go either way, I just wish I didn't have to make the payment this month until I knew for sure.

I can say you were there at the right time and god was looking out for you and them kids, Glad to here that you and everyone else walked away,

As today is a new business day I followed up with the shop.

The bill total as of today is at $20,000.00 for repairs. This does not include suspension or motor work.

From the looks of it the tech said the block is cracked where the motor mount bolts on. If that is the case the motor would have to be replaced and has a price tag of $8,000 to $10,000.

I called the insurance and they told me they will total the car out if the bill reachs 80% of the appraised value. I just had it appraised three weeks ago and we are getting very close to that 80%, it not over it if the motor needs to be replaced and the suspension work that needs to be done.

There is a positive side to all this, if they total the car out I will be able to replace it a lot faster then they can fix it. I love the car but honestly I can go either way at this point.

I guess the best part was that I was driving the BMW and everyone is safe.

Well the results are in and my BMW is in fact totaled. The cost of the repairs exceeded the value of the car. All well it was fun while it lasted!

I hope the driver speeding in the school zone got a HUGE ticket!!! If my son knew you drove a BMW he would talk your ear off about it. Personally, I'm not into BMW's but I can't drive down the street without him pointing out every single one.

I hope the driver speeding in the school zone got a HUGE ticket!!! If my son knew you drove a BMW he would talk your ear off about it. Personally, I'm not into BMW's but I can't drive down the street without him pointing out every single one.

LOL your hubby and his dad is the one who sold it to me.... When I saw your son I had not bought it yet.

As far as the other driver getting a ticket, No he did not at the point of hte accident because the wonderful WSP did not think he was in a school zone, duh numbnutz what are we standing in front of?

The driver hit me 30 feet BEFORE the next speed limit sign of 35 MPH. The BMW tech said the only way the block would crack in 4 places is if the other car was going at least 40 MPH, that is how they are designed.

Last edited:
and his dad? His dad is in twin falls and not in the car business. I read someone else saying you had problems with the car?

your hubby and / or your son's dad sold me the car.

Yeah when I first got the car I had to take it to the shop and they replace a ton of stuff on it all under warranty.

I'm glad that everyone is safe and that you were sensible enough to drove a 4x4 and not something as small as what his bloke...
DSC09887.jpg

Back