my bulbs are all white

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sgwill122

I am having a terrible time getting blue out of my MH bulbs, I have tried a 250W radium, reeflux 12k and 20K and a hamilton 14K. All the bulbs are very white, the radium and 14K are the bluest but just barely. I have tried all the bulbs on a icecap ballast, a generic magnetic and most recently on a coralvue dimmable eballast with no change between the ballasts. Most of the bulbs fire up for the first few seconds very blue like I want but within a minute or two turn white. Anybody have any suggestions or similar problems, the bulbs are all several months old now but have really never been blue.

Are you keeping the bulbs cool with a fan? They will burn whiter if they're hotter.

No fan. I would think it would take longer than a couple minutes for heat to become a problem but stranger things have happened I am sure.

Does anybody have a old 250W SE 20K bulb they think is pretty blue I could try to see if it is the bulb or my setup. Getting tired of buying new bulbs.

I have a radium bulb with about 8 months on it. Was VERY blue in my tank. I am little far from you and don't get up to Everett much.So let me know

Tacoma is a little far, thanks for the offer. Hopefully someone a little more local will have something.

XM bulbs seem to be very blue and they just came out with a new 15K bulb that gets twice the PAR. I just read about it on Sanjay's site

Are you sure your not running 220 to your ballasts? :lol:

Seems quite odd.

Are you sure your not running 220 to your ballasts? :lol:

Seems quite odd.

I agree it is odd or to me quite perplexing. It would be funny if I did that although I am sure it is 110. Maybe my expectations are too high, I want my 20K's to look something close to what actinics provide but I am definitely not even close.

XM bulbs seem to be very blue and they just came out with a new 15K bulb that gets twice the PAR. I just read about it on Sanjay's site

I am very hesitant to buy another bulb without seeing proof that it will produce blue.

I have a 250 xm you can check out only thing I am in federal way I also have a radium running on my nano tank if you want to see that. 20k take a few days to break into the blue state. atleast both my raduims and xm bulbs did.

There was a site and someone might know what I am talking about, it compared the different bulbs side by side.

Sorry I lost the link when the computer crashed last year.

If a 250watt 20k Radium isn't blue enough for you, why don't you add some VHO actinics?
I always thought Radiums were about as blue as you could get.

Hey Steve what is your supplemental/actinic lighting. I can't recall standard or VHO + length, I may have a extra 36" VHO AquaBrite 3000 bulb to try. I think they are a better blue than URI 'Super Actinic' bulbs even more so in the std T12. I would think in combination with your 14K or 20K you'd get the 'BLUES'. I thought your lighting was pretty nice and gave a good pop to your Blue Acros but the Pavona frag I got from you is definately more fluorescent green under my lighting. You could always walk over and take a look to see.

Todd

I know they are rare, but have you looked into a 50K bulb?

FWIW, I have a two pairs of VHO endcaps and 72" bulbs for dirt cheap if your interested. You would need a ballast.

My opinion...and I have spent a great deal of money on 250watt DE HQI bulbs is that the most blue is from XM.....I also like a Blue look..Now with this...I have only used one balast to compare these...I am not sure if it makes a difference...Just my 2 cents!!

I agree with you shane XM 20k is the bluest bulb I've ever used. It is a dark blue color rather than bright blue color that I'm getting from the radiums.

Back