My Captive Sea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MYCAPTIVESEA

Hello,
My Name Is Frank. I'm A Newbie. This Is My 75 Gal Set Up Wetdry, Protien Skimmer, Mag 350 Canister W/ammo/carb Chips, Rio 2100, 802 Powerhead, No Name Powerhead, 192watts Pc, 160watts Flo, 3 Lighting Timers, Moon Lights, Home Made Hood W/2 Fans,80lbs Lr Tank Temp 79f. Occupants Foxface, Yellow Cromis, 2 Green Comes, Mandirin, Dimond Goby, Other Goby, Cat Fish, Blue Tang, Clown, Bubble Coral, Yellow Star Polps, Seabee Anem, A Native Anm I Picked Up, Open Brain, Zenia, 3 Emerald Crabs, Countless Hemits And Snails, Cucumber. I Just Lost A Rusty Angle, A Domino, A Few NiTes Sleep And A Few Day Work Due To Hurricane Katrina But I Got Off Very Easy Concidering What Happend In The Gulf States Thank God.
The Tank Is Now At 4.5 Months I Need To Take New Pics. This Seems To Be A Very Nice And Informitive Site I'm Glad I Found You. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello Frank, looks like I get to be the 1st to welcome you to Reef Frontiers. This is the friendliest forum on the web in my opinion. Looks like your tank is doing well. Use all the knowledge here and it may really help the success of the tank.
Again Welcome!!

I believe that ammocarb is only useful in fresh water. i.e., It only absorbs ammonia in fresh water; the ions in saltwater displace the ammonia.

You may be better off just using straight carbon.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers.

Welcome to Reeffrontiers. Glad you are here. Dpaynter gave you good advice the ammo-carb is for freshwater only. It also screws with the alk balance in saltwater. Please keep coming back. This is a great place. Steve

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. You will definitely learn a lot here. I don't know if my tank inhabitants would stand a chance of living without the help I get from this forum.

Welcome, glad you are here! The tank looks great! I read that you have a wet/dry and a mag 350. I have a custom wet/dry and mag 350 also, but only because I'm going Fish only (FO). If you decide to go with some corals etc. you will see a lot of people here trying to convince you to get rid of the wet/dry and get yourself a refugium or something of that nature...Listen to them (LOL) I went with just Live rock and fish the first time around with a wet/dry and couldn't handle the algae. Wet/dry's are nitrate factories which can lead to excessive hair growth if not taken care of. Your tank is still young and you might not notice any yet and hopefully you'll be lucky and not get any at all, but just keep in mind that it can happen. (I'm not trying to scare you or anything...I just don't want you to get frustrated like I did). I don't know if your budget will allow it, but some sort of phosphate remover will be a good thing to add to your wish list. Something like 2 little fishies phosban reactor which is really cheap, will help in keeping nuicance algae down as phosphates fuel algae also. Hope all goes well and you enjoy your stay here...It truely is a wonderful place with wonderful people.

Welcome to the friendliest place on the web. I hope you keep coming back and posting your progress. Nice set up too. You said 4.5 months so is that how long you have been in fish keeping or did you start out like most of us with freshwater tanks? Welcome again.

yes i started with fresh water in the same 75g tank i had a nice suet up virtualy maintanance free. but it was time to do the real deal so here i am.
today ( payday ) i added a leather finger ( before i got home to mama ) looks great.

Back