My choices for macro lenses

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
Here are the two lenses i've narrowed my search down to (though i don't want to completely limit it to these two, they seemed to be a balance between cost and quality)
First the Tamron 90mm F/2.8 DI SP AF Macro 1:1 Lens
here's the link to tamron's site
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp
one thing that is great about this beyond the photography parts is that it has a 6 year warrenty

Second the
Here's the link to the Sigma 105/2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3253&navigator=5
not sure about any warrenty on this, though a 5 year warrenty is availible for $22

differences, the tamron has more diaphram blades (9:8) which should make the images sharper from what i've read
the sigma has 2 more elements, 11 elements 10 groups compared to 9:10 respectively, not sure what these elements are
the sigma is 15mm longer but the minimum focusing distance is a couple inches further
the cost difference is $10 with the sigma being cheaper, though with the warrenty it will cost a bit more, they're both with free shipping
weight difference is the tamron is 2 oz's lighter, doesn't seem like much of a difference to me, let me know what you think

IMO when your spending $800.00 smakers or close to, $10.00 bucks is not a a problem. Talk to Blazer. He's the man ;)

who said anything about $800 and yes $10 is rather irrelevant in making my choice, ya he is quite the photographer finding reviews of both lenses from the same place has been quite difficult for me

From what I read, the Tamron is not an internal-focusing lens. That means the front element will extend while focusing which is a real pain as I frequently press the lens right up on the glass. That alone is reason not to get the Tamron. The Sigma comes highly regarded in terms of optics but tends to focus slower (when compared to the Canon 100mm). I think has the HSM (hyper-sonic motor) for fast focusing and is internally focusing. I would pick the Sigma.

The sigma has an extending portion when focusing as well. I would pass on both and find a used 105 nikkor on ebay for the same price.

i dunno if i can find one on ebay for same price, the nikon's all seem to go for at least $100 more, and that's used and no warrenty by the looks of it, i was looking at more lenses and the tokina 105mm lens is an internal focuser but it doesn't seem to produce quite as good an image

Beakerbob uses a 90mm tamron, and I think that his images are some of the most amazing that I have ever seen. I would not worry so much about the internal focusing, even the mighty nikkor 105 has a extending focus mechanism.

hmm, ya, i'm trying to decide how important the internal focusing is, cause there's the sigma 150mm for about $200 more and it has internal focusing and the hsm making quicker focusing, but that's kinda more than i want to spend i think, also
the tokina lens 100mm macro lens has internal focusing, but the review says the image isn't as good, and it seems to be an overall less popular lens, so there must be reasons people like the tamron and the sigma
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/181/cat/34
btw this site above, ww.slrgear.com has reviews on all the lenses i've been talking about and many others too, great site, my favorite i've found for reviews

lol disposable that reminded me of something, i'm going to hawaii mid-late june sometime and i want to take pictures underwater, can u rent dig slr's or something with underwater cases, cause i know they're extremely expensive

The Sigma 150mm is a great lens. The problem is that lens has a ton of reach, meaning you would have to stand across the room if you want a typical fish shot. I reach for my Canon 60mm F/2.8 macro when I want general tank shots, I keep the Sigma 150mm for when I want some real close-up shots. Good question about the underwater case, I'm not sure about that. I'll be in Maui during July and will have my camera gear with me,I doubt it will be going anywhere close to the water though :)

ya, underwater cases, good ones at least, i think are like $1000 or somewhere around there, way too much for one trip but if i could rent something it'd be a ton of fun, right now i'm thinking the tamron 90mm i think though, the 150mm sigma's just too much cost for me, sigma 105mm hasn't been ruled out yet though, and about the ebay thing, it's kinda nice to have the tamron 6 year warrenty

no, i didn't know that u even could, how does that work? though i'd like to own personally cause i take photos at least once a week plus whatever aquarium stuff i do, but i'm still curious about this renting thing

Think of it as try before you buy. I haven't rented from them in a few months but I think renting lenses runs about $15.00. Put the lens to the test and see if it will do what you want. Since there is no do over for wedding photography the hubby and I will rent a few extra lenses for the day of the event as backup. The rental staff has been incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Actually all the staff at Glazers has been great and they sometimes have some nice stuff used.
http://www.glazerscamera.com/

Kenmore cameras in Kenmore, WA is another great store with a knowledgeable staff. We buy our stuff in person there and they often charge about the same as a reputable online dealer. If it seems cheap it may be graymarket and have no US warranty. Check their used department as well.
http://www.kcamera.com/main/cameras.htm

Best luck making your buying decision.

ya, i've checked the manufactures the places i'm looking, for the sigma and tamron they're both USA, and i found the sigma actually has a 4 year warrenty

Back