My Clam Opening?!?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Saltyfish

Banned
Barry,

Wondering why my clam never really opens more then the picture below.
Just curious to see if this is normal, I see everyone else's clam that open wide or do a butterfly affect etc. Mine is always like this unless something in the tank gets close to it then it closes.

90Gallon48.jpg

It appears to be opened fine to me but sometimes some water movement will prevent it to open fully.

i did do some research. like water parameters supplements and the general simple stuff. read a couple things on here and read up on what they said bout em at saltwater fish and liveaquaria. im just new to em

like the guy who posted this i was wondering if this is the normal opening for my crocea?

i did do some research. like water parameters supplements and the general simple stuff. read a couple things on here and read up on what they said bout em at saltwater fish and liveaquaria. im just new to em

its close to a power head but the flow is pointing down and behind it with a flow deverter and there is the outlet from my fluval fx5 by it to but that also points behind it. so how would i get the lil bugger to release off the rock if i wanted to move him. that is if you think its not opening up cause of to much water flow

I only want one more but I am not sure which one I want. I know I will have to put it in the rocks but that is about all I know.

No more dersa and giga is totally out until I get the 630 going.

ok ok I got another one, didnt mean to but .....

I was at a shop yesterday and they could not get this clam to open up right. They said they have had it for about 6 months and everything was fine until last week. They swore it was dead, they had it on the bottom of the tank for a long time and when it closed up they moved it right under the MH lamp to try and get it to open. The clam was too tightly close to be dead so I offered $10.00 for it. They took the deal and I got this clam. I let it float in my sump for a good 4 hours and what do you know it started to come out. So I moved it into my tank and waited.

This picture was taken 30 minutes after it was in my tank
90Gallon49.jpg

It was open again today just as in the picture.

Good deal:) Great looking Crocea. Get a rock burried under it in the sand so it can attach to it.

They had a fish in there that was nipping at it I would bet.

And I'll add that hammer is a beauty as well!

I am not sure but it opens that far everyday now. Maybe it is making up for lost time.

it is nice having two different clams in the tank. I can really see the growth in the deresa now.

I am running my CA a litte high for the first few months to kick start the frags growth a little bit. I read about it on a board and it seems to be right. Everything is really doing great and starting to grow or split

I have been testing the newly mixed water and I use Instant Ocean. the Ca is running about 470 to 480 in it. I never knew it was this high in fresh mixed.

Back