my diy fish food recipe

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

Just mixed up my first batch and my fish went crazy for it so I thought I'd share the recipe. I put some raw squid, octopus, shrimp, scallops, clams, mysis and seaweed in the blender with garlic guard (not sure if this is good for them but they sure love it), Zoe, and selcon. Then I flattened it in ziploc bags and froze it. Took about 10 mins out of my day. I'll always make my own fish food in the future. Any comments to improve my recipe or technique would be great! Thanks to Ipisces, Rea17, and 1guydude for past help on this topic

I have a minor suggestion. When I'm going to be away for a bit, I always have the tank sitter feed pellets rather than frozen, because its easier to measure, and because I've had one person tell me 'it looks like so much more food'... which tends to make the sitter happy as they always want to feed. I've also used an auto feeder for the same purpose.
So, when I do mine, after having blended and before I freeze, I mix some NLS pellets in. It just keeps the fish 'familiar' with pellets as food.

That's a good idea for my next batch. I always like to have whoever watches my tank feed pellets and flakes as well, its just easier. Do you leave your auto feeder on the tank all the time or only when you go out of town? I've always assumed I couldn't use one due to salt creep??

Auto feeder harkens waaaaay back to the freshwater days. Haven't used one on my salt tanks..

When we make up a batch we go and get a bunch of the small 1/4 oz condiment cups with lids on them and put a scoop of food in each cup then freeze them. It takes a little more time and a little more room in the freezer but we have perfectly portioned servings that a tank sitter can easily use and no mess when feeding.

I keep those plastic cube trays that mysis/brine comes in, and I refill them with the new food mush from the blender.

You can find 'tiny' ice cube trays at dollar stores on occasion, and party stores usually stock them..

You can find 'tiny' ice cube trays at dollar stores on occasion, and party stores usually stock them..

Yeah I thought about that as well, just haven't spent time looking for any. But I was thinking more about those soft silicon type trays instead of the hard plastic ones. I remember back in the old days of ice tray and what a PITA they were getting ice cubes out, can imagine that fish snot would stick in those trays even worse than ice.

Yeah I thought about that as well, just haven't spent time looking for any. But I was thinking more about those soft silicon type trays instead of the hard plastic ones. I remember back in the old days of ice tray and what a PITA they were getting ice cubes out, can imagine that fish snot would stick in those trays even worse than ice.

pam

its really just 'sprayable' vegetable oil when it all comes down to it, very little actually does anything but stick to the plastic, and what does hit the food rinses off or gets skimmed out. if you get the thicker ice cube trays it really isn't necessary, on some of the thin one though, it makes it easier. I used it for a while before I got trays that worked well without.
You could always use fish oil (selcon or just the fish oil caplets from the health and nutrition aisle) to 'coat' they tray and get the same effect, if you are having problems and worry about using Pam.

Great advice guys. I've actually looked for the smaller ice cube trays at a few grocery stores with no luck. I'll definitely check the dollar store

Back