My Dream Tank, is it possible?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcvicker

Loony Bin
I have been running a 60 gallon tank for coming up on two years. I got into this not really knowing anything so my tank is a mish mash of stuff I thought was cool. I am probably going to be moving in about a year and have started thinking about my next tank. I have an idea and I am not sure if it is practical so feedback would be much appreciated.

Tank:
120-240 depending on space, prefer a 180. I understand the lighting, skimming, and equipment side but my concern is occupants.

Tank Occupants:
-GBTA and RBTA, a lot of them
-Several Skunk clowns
-a Humu humu trigger (small and then grow into tank)
-majestic angel or similar
-3-7 anthia (depending on the tank size)

I am also considering one colony of millepora, if there is space after the anemone's settle in.

What compatability issues will I run into? How realistic is this bio-load? Will the trigger eat the anemone or millepora, how about angel? I really love the humu humu trigger, but also love the clown anemone relationship. How can I combine these with some pretty schooling fish and avoid problems?
-chris

i've found at least with the fish i've tried, no triggers yet or angels, that you should put in the more passive fish first and let them get established before the more aggressive ones, i had a yellow tang that after being in alone for 2 months killed any new occupants even a gold stripe maroon which are suppose to be pretty fiesty clownfish, though if you're going to do clowns u might consider a more bold one then the skunks cause those are the shyst of all clowns

You'll get all sorts of opinions on this one, one thing to consider is what you want to do with the tank as a whole, I doubt the RBTA's would be bothered by the angel, although there is a good chance the clowns could become trigger food, I'd lean towards a more aggressive and larger clown, maroons would be my choice. Between the Navarchus and the trigger I'd think a good option for success would be a fish only tank with live rock, the angel could be tough on clams, LPS, all kinds of polyps and sponges, probably not too tough on SPS, that being said there are folks that keep these angels in reef systems successfully, but it is a roll of the dice and the odds are against you. Triggers can be real badasses aggression wise towards tankmates, crustaceans are a food source to them, hermits are out, even cleaner shrimp can be at risk. I tend to take the approach of deciding what kind of inverts I want to keep and then select fish appropriate to them, but there is nothing wrong with doing it the other way, picking your favorite fish and then build around that...

mcvicker, i have been looking for gbta. do you have a pic of yours? and are you selling one? i cannot trade you my rbta because you already have one... just wondering.

Cesar

Thanks Jobiwan. Maybe a trigger SPS tank would be the way to go.... Trying to figure out how to combine everything I like with only one tank. Now I can see how people end up with a ton of tanks.

Katchupoy,
my gbta has only split once in over a year and a half. He has since turned dark green and no longer has bubbles. I will keep you in mind if he splits again, but he seems pretty happy just getting big and fat. I have tried stuffing him with food, not feeding for a month, but I can't bring myself to cut him.

-chris

Hey Chris,

Some "creative" aquascaping (ooops, this rock fell on him) may help encourage your GBTA to split - not that I condone beating up on your anemones - I just know that it has prompted a few accidental splits on my RBTA's. Good luck!

Tank Occupants:
-GBTA and RBTA, a lot of them
-Several Skunk clowns
-a Humu humu trigger (small and then grow into tank)
-majestic angel or similar
-3-7 anthia (depending on the tank size)

I am also considering one colony of millepora, if there is space after the anemone's settle in.

What compatability issues will I run into? How realistic is this bio-load? Will the trigger eat the anemone or millepora, how about angel? I really love the humu humu trigger, but also love the clown anemone relationship. How can I combine these with some pretty schooling fish and avoid problems?
-chris

Chris,

Most of what you want is do-able.
And I know a way you can get it all in the same system.

You can do the anemones with the clowns, and the anthias. The angel will take some work, and effort on your part to locate a healthy, eating angel. Even then I would expect some nibbling to go on. Angels are curious, and will sample things just to "see" if they taste good. Many angels are famous for picking at LPS, clams, and/or zooanthids. So keep this in mind. However, the Majestic/Navarchus angel is one of the more reef safe of angels...
a friend of mine has one in his 90 gallon tank. He has two anemones, (BTA and LTA), severasl different types of zooanthids, and a Maxima clam with no issues. I would suggest getting a smaller Navarchus if possible, as they tend to adapt better to captivity.
The only problem I see is the Humu Humu trigger.

They are not safe with crustaceans, snails, urchins, some smaller fish, and as an added bonus, they like to dig. They are best kept in a seperate tank. You can however, plumb that system into the reef tank, thereby making it more stable and using the same skimmer etc. There are reef safe triggers which you might consider as well...

FYI....pet peeve of mine is the mis labeling of Humu triggers.

This is a real Humu humu nuku nuku apua'a triggerfish

Rhinecanthus rectangulus

This is a Picasso Trigger fish, not a Humu humu trigger

Rhinecnthus aculeatus

When I was a kid, my parents were stationed at Hickam AFB in Hawaii. During this time period, the Humu humu was the state fish....
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-01-28-humu_x.htm

Turns out that its not anymore...but the article still backs up my statement. I have absolutely no idea where or why the Picasso was mistaken for the real Humu humu trigger....

So, which one do you have?

Nick

Back