My fingers are swollen

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

So I was cleaning my live rock last night after two of my finger hurt.... Today it got a little worse, they are swollen and a little discolored.... Anyone have this happen or know what is from? Should I get it looked at?

Sometimes bristleworm loose some of their spikes on the rock and they will swell your hand if they get into your skin..you can barely see them they are so tiny...

I'd suggest taking a mild antihistamine, such as Benedryl. Did you have any open sores on your hands? It could be the result of a bristleworm, or even bacteria that's present in the water.

Several possibilities include:
Mycobacterium marinum infections, which would require antibiotics
Palytoxin
Parasitic problems
Vibrio
etc.

Here's a great article that should be read by all hobbyists!!! Might convince more to wear gloves.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0215/p885.html

Also read: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Wound.htm
and, http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/index.php

Last edited:
I would go see a doctor if you have health insurances, better safe than sorry.. Seen people get really bad infections and allergic reactions from touching different corals and bristle warms.

I second the Benadryl recommendation posted earlier. Working with wet live rock can cause problems. It's very easy to scrape or puncture your skin on the rock. Once that happens, the same bacteria that are so beneficial to life in the tank can create problems for us. If you see a scrape or puncture, is there any discharge? Do you have any color moving along the veins in your hands or arms? Are you running a fever? If any of these are true you should get to the doctor. If not, watch the area carefully and if it doesn't improve or any of these signs come up get to the doctor.

In the future, I'd recommend gloves for working with live rock in the tank. When working with rock outside the tank, regular water changes, or doing mild cleanup I don't worry about the gloves, but if I'm moving rock, stirring the sand, or doing any other digging in there I use my shoulder length gloves. I don't remember the brand but they're orange and blue and are thick enough to prevent punctures but still give enough dexterity to allow me to work. You should get a pair.

Mike

I would second the Go see a doctor. You never know and it is true that it is better to be overly cautious than dead or loose a finger or ??? :)

Lesson learned...gloves for sure. Unfortunately the swelling has gotten worse... I can't make a fist anymore.... not painful and I feel fine but I'm guessing I have to go to the doctor.... there is no way I can get there today... unless thing start turning serious colors.... so we well see tomorrow.

I'd go to an urgent care clinic...

If your hand is swollen and you can't make a fist, I'd say that's pretty serious. Serious enough for the E.R. probably. I'd recommend you take some water with sand with you to the hospital so they can test it to see what kind of bacterial infection you have so they can perscribe the proper meds/antibiotics to help get you feeling better.

I'd second the go to urgent care or the ER. Don't mess around with it if the swelling has gotten worse.

Yeah, if it's getting worse you need to be seen by a doctor. You can work to prevent infection but once it's taken hold you need to get treatment.

Fortunately almost all Drs are familiar with allergic reactions to unknown biological substances. Should have gone right away as often oral Diphenhydramine (benedryl) isn't strong enough

i get this all the time when messing with liverock. my hands or fingers swell and are sore but goes away in about 24 hrs. he might have had the same type of reaction. Of course most DR's wont no how to treat it. I too beleive its from bristle worms or the sharp spikes on some rock that get stuck in the skin. Hopefully he is ok.

How about some recommendations for gloves that won't puncture? Everything I've tried won't stand up to messing aroung with live rock, and I ALWAYS come away from a tank overhaul with swollen hands and large blisters under the skin. I often have trouble with the last joint on my middle finger, left hand, when I've been messing in the tank with gloves on. Tank is all softys, no zoas either.

When I do use gloves I've always used the medical latex gloves or the latex gloves like the mechanics use. I used to get them from work all the time (free).

Try Costco as they have a 2 pack of gloves that hold up well and are poder free too. They're around 15.00 for the 2 pack. Otherwise check at your local NAPA Auto Parts for some either black or blue nitrile gloves, they're about 10.00 a box there.

Hope this helps,
Alex

Oh and it sounds like something else might be going on with the finger, maybe a starting of a trigger finger or something of the sort.

Back