My first purchase

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Knowledgeborn07

I bought a lawnmower blenny and a royal gramma. The royal gramma seems to be hiding out somewhere in the rocks. Ever since I put him in the tank he has been hiding. The lawn mower blenny seems to love the heater. He stays in the corner next to it most of the time. Is this normal? And could he have eaten my gramma or is the gramma prolly hiding?

Your Gramma is most likely just hiding. They do that a lot. Your Lawnmower Blenny eats algae and vegetation. Make sure you have a good supply of algae in your tank. Some of them are pretty hard to get to feed processed foods. I've got one that won't eat anything other than algae so I have a 10 gallon tank with live rock in it that I use to grow pods. I have it near a window so it does grow algae. Every once in awhile, I'll move an algae covered rock from that tank to the tank with the Blenny. He cleans it up and I rotate another rock in for him.

theres definatly some algae in the tank, he just seems to not venture very far from the heater which is in the corner. I have seen him eat, I just wondered if they generally stay in a dedicated spot?

As suggested, Royal grammas do tend to stay close to hiding spots or hide quite a bit. Even in the wild I always notice them staying just outside of a ledge or hole so they can shoot in when they feel threatened. Nothing to worrty about IMO. As for the blenny...Couldn't say. Congrats on the purchases though! Hope they work out well for you:)

Hadn't had a lawn-mower before--but most of the blennys I've seen DO like to park themselves in a hole w/just their head sitting out....
(their long, narrow bodies are perfect for sliding into small spaces)

But since he's hanging around a heater...I'll also ask the obvious question: what's the tank temp?

Back