My fish are Evil

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shallowreef

Yesterday i came home to find the anularis angel that i have been trying to get back up to par died. This was due to the fish in my tank being little bastards and chasing him around and nipping his fins. Now i am extremely worried as to what i'm gonna do when i want to add new fish. I mean the anularis should have gone in the tank with little to no abuse at all seeing as the only thing they really have in common with the other fish is the color. The body shape wasn't even similar to any of the other fish in my tank.

This has really got me worried. What is going to happen to the next fish i get and what abuot my sharks? Whats gonna happen to them? I don't know how i'm gonna acclimate anything new in my tank. What should i do? Should i get rid of the fish that i have and start over? I really don't want to but i want to add new fish.

Heres the fish that i have right now.
12" Pinktail Trigger
4" Niger trigger
5" Blue tang
6" Porkfish
2 Percula Clowns

The ones that did the most damge to my angel were the Pinktail and the Blue tang. The Niger did too but not nearly as bad as the other two. I am so mad and depressed right now that it makes me sick to think about this.

What should i Do?...

Get rid of the fish i Have?...

Stop adding Fish?....

I really need a lot of help on this one.

Thanks

Have you ever had an african chiclid tank? You can try to move all of the rocks aroud while your new fish is acclimating and then add the new fish when you're done. What this does for you is it makes all of your fish think that they are in a new territory. And they will all have to stake claim again, new fish included. Hope that helps! Let us know how it works out.

Thanks steve,

See i thought about doing that but i finally just got my aquascape the way i want it and i would hate to have to rearrange all of my rocks again just for one fish. Plus i'm sure that is going to help my tank rearranging everything once a week.

I appreciate the idea but i'd like to try a ddifferent approach if possible.

What if you set up another tank and put the aggressors in it for a week. Then introduced them back in the display after you acclimated your new fish.

In order for me to catch the aggressor i will have to tear my rockwork apart again so i wanted to avoid that too. But i think i am going to have to face that at one point. I am hoping though that someone will suggest an idea for me to try and save that for last.

well the only two options i can think of are.... get rid of the pinktail and the blue tang... and just replace them with the fish you like, or reaquascape which i still think they'd go after the new fish you get after a while :p... imo.
you could also try to make a little diy and make yourself one of those intro. fish (i don't remember what they're called :lol: :p.... but you put the fish in the little transparent cube tank thingy so the other fishes see the new fish but can't attack him )and see if that works .... just don't get big fishes :D.

Just don't feed the tank a while, the aggressors will come out after getting really hungry, you should catch it by then, If you have a trap! Doesn't work on sixlines though, they can eat without you lol!

Another method may be to overfeed your tank a few days prior to adding the new fish and then keep it overfeed for awhile after adding. Aggression may be reduced by full bellies. If this works, then slowly adjust back to nomal feeding. Be sure to adjust you water changes to aco**** for the additonal bio load.

If redoing the rock work is a last resort, your best bet would be a tank divider. But like everything else, there is no "for sures" other than getting rid of the aggressors.

I thought about stuffing my fish to the gills so that way they would be so full that they would care less.

I really can't use a fish trap due to the size of my fish. I mean my pinktail is a show size fish and i would have to use a 5 gallon bucket as a fish trap.

I was told by a few people that i should build a cage out of egcrate and put the fish in there so that the fish get use to it but i am worried what will happen after i let him out of the cage?

Back