My Fish "Wish" list

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Leopard Wrasses

Hi Becky I have 2 tanks with Leopard Wrasses in them I got them after talking with Kevin Po on what he used for protecting his clams. Mine are very peaceful in my tanks I have 3 in my 75 tank and just one in my 150. I started to see if i could get a pair of the Leopard Wrasses to mate up and watch one of the bigger females change into a Male This is what i have read about them. You will need a sand bed for them If you don't want to put in a sand bed you can do this by pitting in a bowl of sand they will dive into it just before the lights go off at night . Most of the time they will only be out 6-9 hours per day I have seen them take small snails and crush them with their beak type mouth. If you can get thru the adjustment of them in your tank and you Feed your Tangs Nori the Leopard Wrasses will come up and constantly peek at it all day long I have learned it is best to start them on Mysis frozen shrimp then gradually get them to eat Nutrifin solid food . Mine will eat just about anything that is put in the tank but this process usually tanks 2 months to get there. In the begging they are very shy and skittish but after awhile they wont bolt so much when your in the tank cleaning or adjusting corals & such I like watching them go over my acroporas and if their is anything moving on it BANG they peck it off If you want to have more than one you must put them all in at the same time If you want any more help or hints Becky let me know. I am no expert but I have been able to keep them alive once you get them to settle down in the tank That first 2 weeks is really tough...Jeff

Beckmola24 said:
A little off topic... I needed to vent because I feel so bad for those baby blues.... Back to my main thoughts now ;) I just finished reading article about Leopard Wrasses aka Macropharyngodon bipartits. They seem gorgeous and Terry Seigel mentions this about one of his Leopards... ("It is feeding very well now on flake food and frozen plankton") So it doesn't wholly rely on pods for its diet. This fish has striking coloration and appears to be very peaceful. Does anyone here have experience with these wrasses?

Attachments

• leopard wrasse4.jpg
    leopard wrasse4.jpg
    64.9 KB
Nikki, Just curious as to why I couldn't keep a Mystery Wrasse and a Leopard if I provid the tank with enough pods. The Mystery at my LFS isn't even in a proper tank and it eats mysis extremely well (the tank has no sand or rocks) It's been there for about 2 months or more now and looks great... Anyways Jeff, did you get your leopards from your LFS or online? I found the article Nikki posted to be very informative. I love reading about fish :) Anyways I am planning on a 1" to 2" substrate in the tank and I would love the challenge of keeping a leopard. I would place him in the tank once I know the pods have taken off. I am seriously thinking about getting the Eco Systems refugium and getting some pods online to fill it with. If I ensure the tank has a nice establishment before putting the fish in I think I'd be ok (correct me if I'm wrong) I am also going to let the tank run for several months without putting anything but janitors in there.... I really am trying to have patience with the tank. I want to do things right. Sorry for the long post... I am really getting into my studies of fish :)

Oh One more thing. Jeff, which type of Leopards do you have and have you found some easier/harder to care for than others???

Becky - if you look at the compatibility chart in the article I linked it says some wrasses may coexist, while others may not. I'm unsure as to how aggressive the Mystery wrasse is. I would make sure your tank meets both of their needs prior to introduction......and let your tank really mature. That way they aren't fighting over food and territory. Trying to catch one after establishing itself may be difficult as well, if things aren't going well. It's awesome you are doing so much research prior to purchase. Your tank will thank you for it.

Here's another couple of articles: Pseudocheilinus ocellatus

...Four, Six, Eight, Who Do We Appreciate? Wrasses! Wrasses! The Genus Pseudocheilinus

If I do wind up going with the Leopard and the Mystery wrasse together, I will deffinately put the Leopard in first since it seems to be a more passive fish than the Mystery. I've attached a post I made under the Bartlett's thread, but a lot of people like to stick with the General forum so I'll post it here... ;)
I am looking into the Bartlett's Anthias since it is fairly hardy and a beautiful fish (and due to the good timing of Nikki's FOTW :)) I would really like the challenge of keeping such a beautiful fish. I was thinking about maybe putting a male with two females.
I've noticed a vast difference in coloration of the bartlett pictures I've seen. My LFS has a bunch right now and they are a very pale pink and yellow. Can their true bright colors be obtained by improving their diets or will they stay pale?? I've attached a picture from MarineDepot Live of a Bartlett's Anthias. Notice how extremely bright this one is... Could it be that they only get this colorful when the males are mating?

Becky - LOL - I put up a post on the FOTW thread. I think diet plays a role (according to Scott Michael), but comfort/stress may also play a role. Once the fish are more comfortable in their environment AND eating a better diet - the coloration may turn more vibrant.

LOL I read both ;) I think I'll try those golen pearls. I have heard good things about them also. Before I left Seattle, I had created quite a slop of homemade fish food that my clarkii and blenny LOVED so I will be doing that again sometime soon. I've also heard that cyclopeeze can greatly improve the coloration of fish who are paled due to improper feeding. So if I get these Anthias, when should they be introduced to the tank? I woud like to try 3. I know I need to put the Leopard in before I get the mystery, but I'm still not sure when to add the blue tang and the Percula pair. Oh the Copperband and basslet too. Can't leave them out :) thanks for bearing with me through this thread. I've learned a lot of helpful information.

which type of Leopards do you have

Good Morning Becky I have tried Both My first one for my 150 came from Kevins store in Spokane I live about 3 hours away so i went and got it from her first The drive was to much stress for her . My second attenpt and this one worked was i ordered from live aquairia and put it in and the is the one thats in my 150 today. It is a Macropharyngodon. meleagris and its on the first picture i posted in my prior post. They tend to be more aggresive than the Macropharyngodon ornatus which has a more Reddish color tint to It They come from Indonesia from what I have been told From the LFS In Richland and that is were i got all three at the same time that was a 30 min drive from the Store to the tank I highly recomend if you go the LFS route you work with the LFS to not even acclimate the Leopard from shipment take it right from the airline box right to your tank.. Some will Disagree with me on this But I have put alot of work to propagate this very elusive and hard to raise fish i have to tell you the first 7 days are to most critical I intoduce my Leopards before any Tangs the tangs in the begging would bug them and stress them to much= bering in the sand when ever frightend. Becky don't be alarmed if you do get them and they dive in the sand and dont come out i have had them take up to 7 days before they come out :shock:
As for the Eco Systems refugium I have one and thAt is the best bug factory there is!!!! I have seeded it With Copods from Kevins store and i added this spring a tune up bottle from http://www.oceanpods.com/ It is expensive but wow worth every penny get with Dr. Adelaide Rhodes and she will get you set up It took my new 75 tank 2-3 weeks After adding 1 bottle from Ocean pods and you will be in very good shape. Now To prepare for the Leopard or leopards You will need a fish that will eat prepared foods like a clowns or Bi colored Blenny thats what i used and these Wrasses will watch the Blenny eat mysid shrimp they will take bits and spit it out manny time soon enough they will be eating it :) Then start changing them over to a Prepared food like Nutrifin or what ever is your favorite brand As for the Nori if you put it in they watch the tangs eat it and in no time they will be pecking it as well. One final note the Macropharyngodon ornatus Is the more gental of the two species that i have I would recomend it If you can get it They are twice as hard to get and command a Higher prive I had to pay 40$ for mine HTH...Jeff

Enclosed is some more shots :)

Beckmola24 said:
Jeff, did you get your leopards from your LFS or online? I found the article Nikki posted to be very informative. I love reading about fish :) Anyways I am planning on a 1" to 2" substrate in the tank and I would love the challenge of keeping a leopard. I would place him in the tank once I know the pods have taken off. I am seriously thinking about getting the Eco Systems refugium and getting some pods online to fill it with. If I ensure the tank has a nice establishment before putting the fish in I think I'd be ok (correct me if I'm wrong) I am also going to let the tank run for several months without putting anything but janitors in there.... I really am trying to have patience with the tank. I want to do things right. Sorry for the long post... I am really getting into my studies of fish :)

Oh One more thing. Jeff, which type of Leopards do you have and have you found some easier/harder to care for than others???

Attachments

• leopard wrasse.JPG
    leopard wrasse.JPG
    65.9 KB
Wow That is awesome information Jeff and yes it helps a lot. The one that I was eyeing is a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartits) from LiveAquaria. Do you keep it with any other wrasses?? If so I'm assuming this guy needs to go in before other wrasses. Also do you know where I might be able to get ahold of a Macropharyngodon ornatus?? Can't seem to find one online. That's interesting how they can watch another fish (ie blenny) to learn to accept mysis. I have a small bi-color blenny that I could introduce first into the tank after it has cycled. Do you use the miracle mud with the eco refugium??? Also, do you have any macro in your fuge? You have been super helpful!

Macropharyngodon bipartits

I haven't seen this gal up for sale before I have seen pictures but not to buy as for the Macropharyngodon ornatus?? Red Ornate Leopard I was only able to buy that from my LFS in Richland, Wa And again they were bringing them in from Indonesia I have tried with LiveAquaria. for the Leopards with no luck but with these and other wrasses It seems seasonal on when you can get them.
Your Bi-colored Blen will do the trick and if you have a custom fish mix use it and they will watch the Blen and soon follow eating! :p Yes i have the miracle mud with the eco refugium i really like the light kit that come with it and I have mine stocked with Chetco, Halymenia floresia, Red grape caularipa and some maidens hair i will post some of the newer shots of when i set it up.. Jeff
Good luck with the Wrasse if you go with It another helpfull person who has Leopards is Red eye reef. I belive he got his from Kevin's store but Iam not sure..Jeff

Beckmola24 said:
Wow That is awesome information Jeff and yes it helps a lot. The one that I was eyeing is a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartits) from LiveAquaria. Do you keep it with any other wrasses?? If so I'm assuming this guy needs to go in before other wrasses. Also do you know where I might be able to get ahold of a Macropharyngodon ornatus?? Can't seem to find one online. That's interesting how they can watch another fish (ie blenny) to learn to accept mysis. I have a small bi-color blenny that I could introduce first into the tank after it has cycled. Do you use the miracle mud with the eco refugium??? Also, do you have any macro in your fuge? You have been super helpful!

Last edited:
I just got back from my fish store and saw the cutest Longnose Hawkfish there. I asked the guy working there and he said they're generally peaceful and will only eat very small fish (ie small gobies, blennies, and shrimp) Anyone here have a longnose hawkfish?? I've read a few articles about them and they appear to be pretty hardy and realatively peaceful.

Anything on the Longnose Hawkfish? I looked it up, and the only detriment I saw to adding the little guy was that he eats really small fish and shrimp so if I don't put those in my tank I'm assuming I'll be fine?? Anyone with experience with these guys?

I don't have personal experience with the Longnose, but other than the eating of small shrimp or fish they seem alright. Scott Michael's book (the 2nd one in the Reef Fish series) does indicate that some Longnose Hawkfish may attack fish with elongated bodies, such as firefish and dart gobies.

Sounds good. If I do add a Hawkfish, I'll wait until the very end when most of the fish are already established. Unfortunately I cannot find my Scott Michaels book... It was misplaced during our move and is in some undisclosed box...
Another question... I went to my LFS yesterday and they had some anthias that looked similar to Bartletts but had no name. They didn't have the elongated overhanging snout that bartletts characteristicly have. They were pretty, but the owner said they might be some type of crossbreed anthias. Is that possible?? Wouldn't that make them a little more hardy or is it the opposite??
Lastly, could I put a yellow tang with this group???

Last edited:
What is the current wish list of fish...w/o the yellow tang?

Nick

Here is The Current list I've been working on.... I am going to buy a large enough skimmer to accompany a higher bio-load, but this really isn't too high because most of the fish listed only grow to 3 or 4 inches. Do y'all think a yellow tang would go with these guys?

Some species of Fairy Wrasse (can't decide) maybe the Yellowstreak Fairy Wrasse-Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus OR Labout's Fairy Wrasse -Cirrhilabrus laboutei...
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse -Paracheilinus carpenteri
Mystery Wrasse -Psuedochellinus ocellatus
Bartlett's Anthias (3) - Pseudanthias bartlettorum
True Percula Clownfish (pair) -Amphiprion percula
Blue Tang -Paracanthurus hepatus
Swissguard Basslet -Liopropoma rubre
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse -Macropharyngodon bipartits

I've decided to hold off on the copperband becasue I want to keep clams.

I would say no to the Yellow tang based on the number of fish you have already picked out for this...whether you realize this or not, you're already gonna be crowded in there. 11 fish in this tank is going to be plenty busy...especially since you want 3 bartlett anthias, a flasher wrasse, a fairy wrasse, and a blue tang....those fish require alot of swimming room and frequent feedings...so you're skimmer should be able to handle a very large load....I would seriously reccomend doubling the skimmer size on this...IE skimmer is rated for a 200+ gallon system.
I would suggest cutting the leopard wrasse, one or two of the barlett's, and choose between either the fairy wrasse or the flasher wrasse.
Yes there are people who keep many more fish in a tank than is reccomended...but I really advise against it unless you have ALOT of experiance under your belt. Less fish in your system as a beginner gives you more room for error, and allows you more lee way.

Nick

I think you will have compatibility problems with the bartlett anthias, it will chase similar fish of its size. Also wrasses will chase similar wrasses, in body & color that is. I have five fish in my 100g tank & it is maxed even with a bigger skimmer. A yellow tang is territorial, the bigger they get the greedier they get, so go small if you do, I guess this is a rule for most fish big fish eat first, excluding damsels, my clown is going to get his share lol

Swiss Guard basslets are very cool fish but just a note: they are a deep water fish, may not take well to brighter lighting and are fairly shy so you may not see it often. They are also usually pretty expensive. In spite of all of that, I've always wanted to try one if I had the right mix of fish (ie, non-aggressive), they're beautiful.

Swiss Guard basslets

They are so Neat to look at! I have always wanted to get one since i started my tank. :) I have had 2 Chalk Basslets and they were very enjoyable to watch The only problem with them is they Jumped alot And I lost one to carpet surfing :(

Alice said:
Swiss Guard basslets are very cool fish but just a note: they are a deep water fish, may not take well to brighter lighting and are fairly shy so you may not see it often. They are also usually pretty expensive. In spite of all of that, I've always wanted to try one if I had the right mix of fish (ie, non-aggressive), they're beautiful.

Back