my hairy toadstool

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlin06

MARLIN
my hairy toadstool hasnt been itself lately.it usually has all of its feeders out.the past week it hasnt had any out.it appears to be trying to put them out but it doesnt look good.i tested my water and it looks good.HELP:cry:

It's not uncommon for Toadstools to go through regular periods where the polyps don't extend and the surface looks somewhat "waxy." During this period, they're sloughing off their outter layer of flesh to rid themselves of built up detritus. I've had them take up to 10 days to do this. Mine go through this every couple of months or so. Have you tried blowing it off with a turkey baster to make sure there's no build up on it? I've also had one of my toadstools go through what you're describing and it took me awhile to figure out that a hermit crab would regularly perch on top of it. I moved the hermit crab off of it a few times, then banished it to another tank...lol.

If your toadstool is indeed sloughing off it's skin, make sure and watch it. When it does slough off, if the waste floats around and lands on other corals, it can be detrimental to them.

Well, you know it's good and clean then. Have you made any changes in your tank lately? Changes to chemistry, lighting, flow, tank inhabitants, added rock or anything else? Any new corals or fish?

Could be that it's going through that "self cleaning" process and it's just taking time. How long have you had this toadstool in your tank? You mention that it's been behaving this way for the past week. How long, prior to that, was it behaving normal? Consider a few weeks before this behavior started when answering the question about any changes to it's environment.

So does the sleeper goby carry around the sand and dump it on the toadstool? My goby will do that. My toadstool no longer reacts to it much, but it used to retract and curl up until the sand was shed off. I used to use the turkey baster to help it shed the sand. But like I said the toadstool no longer seems bothered by the sand that is dumped on it, it sheds it off overnight when it is normally retracted and just lets the sand sit there during the day.

my leathers "shed" from time to time.. its like you described,

sometimes a little power head shot to blow off the stuff... helps..

it will come back.. leathers are kinda hardy

Nothing to worrie about. Happens just about every month on mine. Some times it can go 2 weeks and then come out. It's just growing and its needs to clear its old skin.
Do even stress on it.
;)
LOL "Kinda Hardy" is like saying Marroon Clown's are Kinda mean!! I think your Leather will be fine. Other than some of the fancy Fiji Leathers, for the most part, they're as burning2nd said and kinda hardy.

as long as your sure your water stats are good.. and everything else is ok...

aka voltage, or cheimcals you should be fine.

Glad I found this thread, my toadstool is all purplish and hasnt extended it's polyps for 2 days. Guess I'll wait it out.....

Back