My heater stuck on looking for solutions so this doesn't happen again

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jojo

:mad: Well I am never buying a wonpro titanium heater again. Just about 30 minutes ago I was reaching in my tank to adjust my skimmer and I noticed the water felt unusaully warm so I checked the temp and it was freakin 86degrees and I usaully keep it at 76. I am hoping I don't experience any losses. So I want to prevent that from happening again. Whats the best way to do that? Buy either a medusa or ranco temperature controler? And a different heater? Which heater would yuo recomend? I like to run 2 heaters in case one fails to turn so would I have to buy 2 temperature controllers 1 for each heater? I just want the peace of mind not to have to worry about this again. Thanks in advance for your help.

I think the best bet would be some type of controller. Whether its the Ranco Dual Stage (I believe the dual will handle 2 heaters), a Neptune Controller, or something similar to the Neptune.

Thanks Nikki. Guess I just have to pick a controler now. I see on marinedepot that tunze, medusa, and aqualogic all make controlers as well although the aqualogic looks pretty much the same as ranco. I guess the question is now wich one is the most reliable?

I don't have personal experience with any of the controllers listed, but I'm sure they function well. Another option is the Neptune Aquacontroller Jr. Not as expensive as the bigger Neptune Aquacontrollers, but performs alot of the same functions. I use the Aquacontroller II, after wanting the Jr. for sometime, I ended up going with the II. It has worked great with the heaters on my tank (both Won titanian heaters that don't read accurately on their own :rolleyes: ).

i have had the dual stage controller from ranco (didnt like it)

i have had the reefkeeper controller (keeps temps greatt)

also just got the aquacontroller jr (it is not user frendly but has more feature than the reefkeeper)

I had the same thing happen crashing my tank late last year... I hate those heaters. :(

-Josh-:cool:

one thing i do is have barely enough heater total wattage for the tank. most reefers way over watt their heaters which is ok but when they go bad things can get ugly really quick. the other thing is use 2 or more smaller heaters rather than one larger one and if one "runs away" it wont have that big of an effect. you still have to check everything regularly but the cooking is less likely and will happen more slowly. hope this helps!

chadfarmer - just curious as to what didn't you like about the Ranco. I've heard great things about it. Also, I have to add the Aquacontroller is easy to use once you get your program set-up (at first it was hard for me to follow, but now its easy for me). I did mine on a piece of paper first (i.e. If temp < 78.0 then HTR on, etc), then applied it to the controller. It hasn't failed me...and equipment and I don't always go well together :). I even have it set to shut off the lights if my chiller should fail or something strange happens, and the temps get too high.

i didnt like the ranco because for a little more money you can buy a controller

got the aquacontroller programed wasnt hard was just hard to figure it out-- instructions are very vague

jojo said:
:mad: Well I am never buying a wonpro titanium heater again.

I feel your pain, I came back from a vacation a few weeks ago. Looked at my nanocube; read 94 degrees! :cry: Cooked everything.

While I wasn't using a wonpro titanium heater, are they known for having that issue, or atleast lately? I've never had a problem with them before personally.

I run two thermometers, one above, one in the sump below. I figure one of them has to be right. And if I had a controller, I'd still be paranoid enough to check them---I've been stung too many times by heater thermostats. Sigh.

Gratiot - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Sorry to hear about your nanocube :(.

Here is a discussion that we had previously on heaters and the ranco controllers: Heaters

Back