My home made moonlights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I got a little bored after work today, so I said I'd make some moon lights for my cube. I got some 1 inch acrylic, stripped it into little rectangular pieces, used a table saw to cut a groove down the center for the wire from the blue Viper L.E.D's to sit in and the rest is self explanitory. Here are a few pictures:)

And the last few. The timer is set to turn the led's on 30 mins before the halides go off and turn off about 7:30 am when I open my blinds:)

Last edited:
Nice project Krish, one thing though I think that it was Dana Riddle (from the Waikiki Aquarium) that in last year's MACNA gave a conference and talked about moonlights not being as good as we think for our tanks, since they don't allow for zoox to go in rest mode. I might be wrong and most likely somebody can correct me on Dana's coments. IMO a little time won't hurt but I'm not sure about all night long though. Anyways it looks great ;)

Like the moonlights man, that is a cool DIY project, remind me to put that on my list of things I want for me tank:)

Nice project Krish, one thing though I think that it was Dana Riddle (from the Waikiki Aquarium) that in last year's MACNA gave a conference and talked about moonlights not being as good as we think for our tanks, since they don't allow for zoox to go in rest mode. I might be wrong and most likely somebody can correct me on Dana's coments. IMO a little time won't hurt but I'm not sure about all night long though. Anyways it looks great

Yeah, I wondered if my fish would be able to sleep with them on. I had just one connected and my wife says, add another one!(LOL) I'll see how it goes though. I really only put them there for me to look at when the lights go out, to see something different and not for any other reason. Infact, I actually took them off of the timer and will only use them when I'm in the mood.:)

Like the moonlights man, that is a cool DIY project, remind me to put that on my list of things I want for me tank

LOL...Thanks! Very cool cheap addition to the tank. I love the shimmer that comes off of those led's! The fish must think they're in a disco:p

those look retarded krish!!!!!! just kidding ....that's a good idea and a good way to kill time:)

those look retarded krish!!!!!! just kidding ....that's a good idea and a good way to kill time

Thanks man! I had all the stuff just laying around so i figured I'd try it. Very neat look and the thing about it was, it was taken in the day. I turned off all of the lights and closed the blinds, but it still wasn't completely dark in the room, thus the reason the full tank shot was slightly to the side. If it was taken straight on, you'd see the reflection of the light coming through the blinds. I plugged them in after it got completely dark an it looked even better!:)

Krish, those are some pretty cool leds are they automotive / 12v? Do you have a link or source? I wouldnt worry about the negative effects to sps they should be entirely the wrong wave length to effect corals in any way.

Don

Hey Krish where can a person find bright blue LED's like that?

We carry them for our Viper alarms. The blue led's come standard with certain Viper models (eg 350HV) but you can also get it as a seperate item. We keep them in stock all the time in blue, red and white.

Krish, those are some pretty cool leds are they automotive / 12v? Do you have a link or source? I wouldnt worry about the negative effects to sps they should be entirely the wrong wave length to effect corals in any way.

Don

Hey Don! Yeah, they are basically automotive. They are used with the Viper alarms and run off of 3 volts. I have them powered up with only 1.5 volts. You should be able to buy them at any authorized viper dealer (Directed Electronics.:))

ahh dood that's way to awesome ........i'm jelous !!!

Don't be Gabbs! You have a toothbrush in your filter:p

lol !!! so now i guess you just need the big dice for the front of the tank and your car i mean your tank will have been pimped :lol: .

"Pimp My Tank".. Is that a new show coming to MTV? Whatever happened to MTV playing Videos? OOPS Wrong thread. Nevermind.... :)

Back