my horrible night, and a moment of silence.... *sniff*

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Handegard

Two is better!
I came home from hanging out with my co-workers playing games at Wes's house, and my house felt like a blast furnace, the doorknob was hot to the touch.

I rushed in looking for fire, only to find none. Perplexed, I realized the furnace was on full blast, due to a accident earlier in the day.

My female rats are both dead, my 4 boys look like they'll make it.

Our poor, sweet, runt hamster has left, may she finally rest in peace.

My sweet birdie Jabber was laying on his side, and I quickly decided he was dead, only to have him make a last ditch effort at life, which has been sucsessfull so far, he's back on his perch. Her bird, Jade, is all ok. I think death came for her and she told him to screw himself. Yeah, she's normal.

Both our Gueinea pigs, Sundea and Brownie were almost dead. We got help and it looks grim. They are probably brain dead. One tries to walk, but doesn't seem to be able to move his back legs. The other we're not sure about, he moves around a bit, but it seems like reflex.

My 46g bow, which has just live rock, was hot to the touch. The 50g fish tanks and 20g reef were both over 90. I thought my 2.5g micro-reef was done for, because it was so hot and somehow the airstone had come unplugged. I iced all the tanks, and got them down 78-80. I was scared to dump cold water in because I figured theheat was enough stress, let alone the chlorine and the drop in salinity.

The reptiles are all good, in fact, the leapord gecko's were more active than I've ever seen them, which tells me they need a hotter light. The iguana was fine, the crayfish seems imortal anyway, and the fresh tank is at 82 now. Kitty saw no ill effect.

This all happened over the course of 5 hours. It started when Laura hit her head, and I rushed down the hall to see why she yelled. I snagged my shirt on the thermostat, but was focused on her pain, and forgot about it.

The thermostat was actually broken, and even though the house was over 100 degrees, the furnace was STILL going full blast untill I hit the main breaker.I just hope everyone who is still with us is here in the morning.

I may not have spoken to god in a few years, but I pray tonight that he's with my guinea pigs.

Wow! Sorry this happened. Keep us posted on how everyone does. Was any livestock in the fish tanks lost?

The update it, no livestock losse's in the fish tanks so far.

Amazingly, the barnecle blenny and his roomates are all alive in the 2.5g tanks, even though the airstone had come off, and there was no bubbles in the water, and no filtration to oxegize the water....

The guinea pigs however, didn't survive the night. I can hear from the desk though, that Jabber my birdie made it....

This breaks my heart to hear... A little wierd to read because we share allot of common pets. Holly and I have Guinea Pigs, Parakeets, Gerbils, Finches, 3 dogs and my reef tank.

I am so sorry.. We lost our Guinea pig Princess last Sunday unexpectedly. Her last breath was while in the warmth of my chest nestled in my fleece vest.. An autopsy showed she had a birth defect where her intestines were closing over time until they shut-off entirely. She died at age three after being a wonderfull mommy to 4 and wife to Pugy our dad guinea. We even witnessed her give birth which is a very rare treat.

I empathize deeply with your situation and will pray for all your lil kidos..

jlehigh,

These guinea pigs were only less than a year, the newest in our family. I can obviously know what you felt with your piggy leaving you. I'm actually kind of glad they didn't pass on while laura was caring for them, it would have shattered her heart more so than it was.

I honestly think this may be my last guinea pig. I'm only 20, but these were my 14th and 15th guinea pigs, and they are just too damn endering for how short a lifespan they have.

My birdie jabber is a parakeet as well, we adopted him from Petco when he started picking on other birds. I was heartbroken when I saw him laying there.

I understand but loving them so much is kinda the point ;) Going through it 15times would be really hard though... we hope to see a full 5-8 years out of the rest..

Ahh poor jabber... lots of extra millet and he'll forget all about it :)

Thats tough luck handegard, I know the kids are the toughest hit by those kinds of losses. Keep thier chins up

MIke

Fortunetly, no kids here. Hurt my s/o like hell though. I tried to look at the positive side all night by thinking about what was left and how bad it could have been.

My list of pets now:

Office:
4x boy rats

Bathroom:
1x crayfish

Kitchen:
2.5g micro-reef
20g nan-reef
46g tank with single snail
3x leapord geckos
2x toads

Livingroom:
50g fish only
1x Jabber (my parakeet)
1x Jade (her big bird)

Bedroom:
10g fresh tank
1x veiled chameleon

Free range:
1x fat cat
1x iguana

I tottaly know the feelin Handeyard, when i was like 6 i turned my heater up to high in my first tank, came home and all the fishies was floatin, ive never forgot that mistake, i know how you feel man, as stated above, at least no kids or old people who cant run fast werent hurt!

Man that sux :( I'm sorry it happened. You will get back up and things will be better.

- Elmo

Back