my lucky day?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

sortof an odd story but thought it would be neat to post:

So apparently I forgot to send in my electricity payment and yesterday the power was shut off (with out notice) I should mention that my family and I were all out enjoying our day together from 8am till 5pm. when we got home was when we noticed. it was shut off at 10:20 am so had been off for over 6.5 hrs! my large frag tank and sump are in my garage and the water was 60 degrees! but thats not the worst part, the top 2-3 inches of my acro frags were all out of the water!!! for over 6 hrs in my 40 degree garage!

the good news is as of today everything is polyped up and looks great!

LOL who would have thought the corals would have survived 6.5hrs in the air at 40degrees?

must have been my lucky day!!!

Matt

I wouldn't count your eggs just yet, wait it out a few days first, just a word of caution!

The power company needs to give you notice before shutting off your power. If they did not, they could potentially be held liable for any losses. I would call them up and raise heck.

I am glad that everything looks okay.

Gary

WOW
I would pay a pretty penny to see the look on your face when you saw those acros and the temp in yor tank!
Thank god it all sounds OK
I would be soooo mad at the POWER company!

I would still be cautious. I think you should be okay but just watch carefully.

I wouldn't count your eggs just yet, wait it out a few days first, just a word of caution!

I would still be cautious. I think you should be okay but just watch carefully.

Yeah as I said in the original post, so far so good...

We will have to see, so far my corals have always surprised me as to how tuff they are.

One time last summer I did some major fragging in a 29gallon rubbermaid tote in my back yard on our concrete patio. i left the tote outside with 1'' water left in it for over 24 hrs I went out to clean up my mess and realized I left a 2'' frag in their. the water was hot to my touch (it was like 90 outside) the coral still had its tissue so i thought what the heck i will put it back in my tank and what do you know polyped right up and grew out!!

FWIW; In the wild deep blue sea corals are subjected to low tides for hrs upon hrs in the hot tropical sun, this is just part of nature...

Matt

Yup tides do expose corals for many hours even but the temp doesn't normally drop lower also LOL. Good news that they did perk up right away, how lucky can you be! :)

I remember one time I had reaquascaped my tank and thought I was done putting all the corals back in. I left the house for about 8 hrs to take care of some things. I came back home to look at my tank and I saw a tupperware with a few frags in it only half way submerged in water. I was like Holy crap how did I forget them. I threw them back in the tank and they are now doing great. Its funny that some SPS can stay out of water for so long and recover from it but then in your tank if your water chem goes out of wack and they lose tissue and die almost overnight.

Its funny that some SPS can stay out of water for so long and recover from it but then in your tank if your water chem goes out of wack and they lose tissue and die almost overnight.

that is because the out of water (low tide) is nature and water chemestry out of wack is not, they have evolved to survive the low tides but water chemestry is a whole other ball game.

Matt

Back