My Marine Betta needs diagnosis

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You are a good pet caregiver my friend, well done!

Thanks Mike, but he is not out of the woods completely yet. He's still not eating well. He is up and swimming about more though. Maybe getting more used to the space he's in and feeling less stress.

Lee....I am sick with worry... He hasn't eaten for over a week now and this injury looks like it is becoming a hole. I dont know. I started the maracyn two treatment sunday, which was 7 days into the cupramine treatment. As far as feeding, I've tried mysis, table shrimp, scallops, everything he,s been eating before he got sick. With and without vitamins and garlic suppliment. I've tried guppies. He's not interested in anything. Any more suggestions.

DSC05751.jpg

Remove the copper from the water. Let the antibiotic decrease in concentration (i.e., don't worry about it), just focus on getting the copper out.

Although you've done half the usual treatment, the 7+ days are good enough.

Perform a 50% water change AFTER the copper has been removed, daily.

They rarely help, but some marine vitamin supplements can be added directly to the water. I would try that. Just find one online or at your LFS that has directions for adding the vitamin supplement directly to the tank water.

Keep trying to feed.

Okay, I'll start carbon back up and do a partial water change. He seems to still be pretty strong. He is swimming around and breathing normally. I try feeding every day at least twice a day.
I have some of those vitamin suppliments for adding to the water. What about vitamin C. I have that in powder form for adding to the water too. If it might help any.

Any vitamin meant for marine fishes is okay. Vitamin C is okay, but only if it has been complexed specially for Marine fishes. Most Vitamin C is an acid, of course. Putting into water of higher pH (like marine water is supposed to be) usually alters this Vitamin.

Actually, I have Vita Chem addition for adding to the water. It contains a lot of Vitamin C so, I'm not going to use any of the other, but yes it is for marine fish.
So I did a 50% water change and started running carbon. And I am still supplying him with food hoping he eats.
Thanks for your help. Once the water clears up it will be easier to see what the area looks like. I'll post another pic when I can.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how Lee feels about this, but if the Maracyn II treatment has been thus far ineffective, it may be time to move on to another brand/medication. Nitrofurazone (Hikari BiFuran) possibly?

Nitrofurazone (Hikari BiFuran) possibly?

What!

I'll look around, but if you can point me in the right direction for aquiring this product and info on it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Looks like I should be able to find this at any pond supply store?
I'll research it.

Last edited:
Sick Betta

Just want you to know I have been following the thread for a while now and am pulling for you and the betta. Your level of care and concern for your fish/pet really shows and is admirable. I really hope this has a happy ending. If I am not mistaken i think I have met you before, at the gas station in Bremerton one Saturday about a month ago... Anyways, I am sorry to hear about the fractured ankle. If there is anything in particular you need help with that you cant do because of your ankle, let me know and the wife and I will take the Ferry over this weekend... I am no fish expert, but I can follow directions, lol

Ichthys

Just want you to know I have been following the thread for a while now and am pulling for you and the betta. Your level of care and concern for your fish/pet really shows and is admirable. I really hope this has a happy ending. If I am not mistaken i think I have met you before, at the gas station in Bremerton one Saturday about a month ago... Anyways, I am sorry to hear about the fractured ankle. If there is anything in particular you need help with that you cant do because of your ankle, let me know and the wife and I will take the Ferry over this weekend... I am no fish expert, but I can follow directions, lol

Ichthys

Hey thanks I really appreciate the offer of help. You are welcome to come by anytime and not to do any work. I am managing. I am supposed to be in one of those boots for another 3 weeks, but, I just cant remember where I left it:lol:....With the ferry traffic, it took me 4 hours to get home last friday so no matter what, I am back on the motorcycle thursdays and fridays. Not sitting in that traffic. And yeah, that was me that you met at the gas station. Thanks for the good wishes for Helix.

Hikari BiFuran

I checked a few LFS and no Hikari BiFuran, Barrier Reef has Seachem Kanoplex, Neoplex, and Metronidazole, not sure if any of those would help or are similar to Bifuran. Are you still commuting across the sound daily or are you on leaev because of your ankle? If you are stuck in Hansville, I would be willing to pick up whatever you need at Barrier Reef and bring it over this weekend.

Ichthys

xpost

Lol, we cross posted. So if you are back on the motorcycle, I guess you are getting around ok... offer still stands though, if there is anything I can do let me know.

I checked a few LFS and no Hikari BiFuran, Barrier Reef has Seachem Kanoplex, Neoplex, and Metronidazole, not sure if any of those would help or are similar to Bifuran. Are you still commuting across the sound daily or are you on leaev because of your ankle? If you are stuck in Hansville, I would be willing to pick up whatever you need at Barrier Reef and bring it over this weekend.

Ichthys

Wow again, thanks for the offer to help. What you are offering to do is extremely nice. And very much appreciated. Like I said, you both are more than welcome to come by to visit if your ever in the neighborhood.

What!

I'll look around, but if you can point me in the right direction for aquiring this product and info on it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Looks like I should be able to find this at any pond supply store?
I'll research it.
Yes, it's quite commonly used in the Pond (Koi) world, but is suitable for both FW and SW. I found it at a local store, but it's available online, Link Link 2

I should also mention, Furan 2 (by API, same makers as Maracyn) also contains Nitrofurazone...

Last edited:
Remove the copper from the water. Let the antibiotic decrease in concentration (i.e., don't worry about it), just focus on getting the copper out.

Although you've done half the usual treatment, the 7+ days are good enough.

Perform a 50% water change AFTER the copper has been removed, daily.

They rarely help, but some marine vitamin supplements can be added directly to the water. I would try that. Just find one online or at your LFS that has directions for adding the vitamin supplement directly to the tank water.

Keep trying to feed.

Okay, Lee, the tank is clear of copper, according to a new salifert test kit. And he ate two pieces of mysis last night.
I am going to do a small water change on the main tank and test the water. Do you think hes ready to go back in or is there anything else you suggest?

I would continue with daily water changes of about 50% and put the fish back in when it begins to eat 'normally.'

Back