My Nano Reef Idea.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gehidore

wik, pioneerwest madman
I am supposed to be getting in a mantis shrimp from a lady who bought it without being told it would make a snack of her fishes.

I have wanted to set up a nano style reef for some time and now have the time/money(I think) to do it.

I was thinking of using a 6G Eclipse system with 5 or 10lb live rock crushed coral/sand bed and a few inverts with my mantis shrimp. (no fish)

What else should I be thinking about?

With some new info:

6G Eclipse (with biowheel)
10lb Live rock
Medium Sand bed
Depending on the shrimp (smasher/spearer) I'll either have or not have inverts...
Maybe a little caulerpa.

Do you know the approx. size of the mantis? I see you aren't sure what type it is. Just some random thoughts....I would do a titanium heater. I've read where the glass heaters can be broken....the mantis sometimes don't like the little light that comes on. Some make a PVC covering for glass heaters. Some hobbyists place PVC "tunnel" that is T shaped for the mantis to den build in.

Here is a great website: The Lurker's Guide to Stomatopods, and this is the Stomatopod Care and Rearing section.

Good tip Nikki...very good thinking...

I'd avoid macros in the tank...likley they will quickly infest the LR, and you won't be able to add herbivores to keep them in check. You could harvest it manually, but that means you have to stick your hand in that 6 gal. tank on a regular basis...they don't call the mantis shrimp the "thumb splitter" for no reason... :D

MikeS

NaH2O said:
Do you know the approx. size of the mantis? I see you aren't sure what type it is. Just some random thoughts....I would do a titanium heater. I've read where the glass heaters can be broken....the mantis sometimes don't like the little light that comes on. Some make a PVC covering for glass heaters. Some hobbyists place PVC "tunnel" that is T shaped for the mantis to den build in.

Here is a great website: The Lurker's Guide to Stomatopods, and this is the Stomatopod Care and Rearing section.

Thanks for the tips, I've been looking at that site for the past few days... I really like the idea of a mantis more and more :D

MikeS said:
I'd avoid macros in the tank...likley they will quickly infest the LR, and you won't be able to add herbivores to keep them in check. You could harvest it manually, but that means you have to stick your hand in that 6 gal. tank on a regular basis...they don't call the mantis shrimp the "thumb splitter" for no reason... :D

Good point. I was hoping to introduce some of the baby turbo's I have in my main reef tank... but I guess that depends on the type/size of my mantis, if I ever get it.

Mantis clubber types are also known to break thin glass :eek:

They are awesome creatures :)

- Elmo

hey,
i was just wondering what size this mantis is. a 6g might be a little small. they grow fast and can eat a lot. as you know the more food you put into an aquarium the more waste you put in as well. this means more water changes, more hands in the tank, more chance of geting your thumb cut off. if you go with a larger set up you will be able to monitor water quality better (changes in chemistry will be easier to control) and wont have to worry about upgrading your tank size as soon due to the mantis out growing the tank. just some more thoughts to help you out!
-aly

Aly625 said:
hey,
i was just wondering what size this mantis is. a 6g might be a little small. they grow fast and can eat a lot. as you know the more food you put into an aquarium the more waste you put in as well. this means more water changes, more hands in the tank, more chance of geting your thumb cut off. if you go with a larger set up you will be able to monitor water quality better (changes in chemistry will be easier to control) and wont have to worry about upgrading your tank size as soon due to the mantis out growing the tank. just some more thoughts to help you out!
-aly

It turned out to be a baby peacock (2 inches) and they managed to crush it :(.

I shall post pictures of the nano reef that misty has started at work though, it's crazy cool.

Amazing animal that is considered a pest for obvious reasons but in the right set up will be a great pet. GREAT IDEA!

Back