My new 180 G

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snobanker

Well I picked up my new 180 G IAP tank and it's sitting in my living room all wrapped up in it's plastic wrap :D I've been PM'ing Mike (mojoreef) on some plumbing design thoughts and I guess I'll post now to see what everyone thinks. Anyone who has read the post about Nikki's tank will recognize my obviously copied plan.

A few changes are (per Mike's suggestion) that I've added 4 additional output bulkheads due to the fact that my tank is 24" longer. Mike suggested a pump larger than the Ampmaster 3000, but I'm not sure what to use yet. I'm also going with the motorized ball valve.

As in Nikki's plan the CL pipe will be 1 1/2" with the outputs reduced to 3/4" for locline fittings. The input from the tank to the pump will be 1 1/2" as well.

Any and all input/opinions/ heckling ect are welcome. :D

Last edited:
Wow Stan - looks great! You will really like the set-up. Are you taking the sump return over the top and dropping it in? What pump are you going to use for that purpose? There is also a wiring diagram on here, too: MBV to Remote Timer Wiring Diagram

Thanks all... :D Nikki, I'm not sure how I want to return the sump yet. I may go through the back near the top, but I haven't decided. Thanks for the diagram too.

Mike, the drawing is without dimensions as of yet...I wasn't sure how far up to have them. I had considered putting everything at equal spacing ie ;1/3's. But I have a feeling from your question that I may need a better idea. :D. Oh and would an ampmaster 3600 be a big enough pump for the CL? By the chart it appears that at 4.7 feet of head it would push 3600 GPM which would give me 20x turnover of 180 g's of water. Since I could actually make it closer (by raising the pump) than 4.7 ft of head and the tank wont actually have 180 g's of water I would think this would put me just over the 20x turnover. Is my thinking correct??

For the price of a MBV, you could get an Oceans Motions device.

More outputs makes for a more random water flow, plus you support a small company that is developing new products for us. :)

I've not used one yet, but have plans to put one in when I get a new tank put together.

I like the Sequence pumps better than the AM's- The 4600 is a nice pump, small and quiet.

Zeph

Back