My new 220 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

landyn2004

New 220gallon tank in process of bein put together.
PictureorVideo007.jpg

PictureorVideo001.jpg

lindsay.jpg

i have about 150lbs of sand so far lookin to add about 100lbs more.

Cool! If you're going with a reef setup you will hear repeatedly here to ditch the wet/dry with the bio-balls because of nitrate issues they are associated with. Some claim that they have kept nitrate free aquariums using a wet/dry, but more a lot more often than not, you hear stories of people being stressed out because of high nitrate levels due to using a wet/dry (I was one of these people one time ago) so keep that in mind. The end product of a wet/dry is nothing but nitrates due to not having any anaerobic zones for denitrification to take place (the process by which nitrtaes are converted to nitrogen gas) so you end up with an accumilation of nitrates overtime. Fish can tolerate a pretty substantial amout of nitrates which is why they are cool for fish only systems, but most corals on the otherhand don't do so well. :)

About the lighting, it all depends on what types of corals you plan to go with. Some require more lighting than others so that will be one of your major deciding factors :)

the bio-balls are comein out soon i'm goin to put live rock in there place and i'm thinkin of fixin the middle up and makein a refuge out of it. It's goin to be a mixed reef.

Cool! Just be sure to put in baffles to where the live rock will be totally submerged because if you leave the live rock in a "wet/dry" environment, then you will basically be defeating the purpose as bio-balls in a sense aren't bad, but the wet/dry enviromnment they are in.... Good luck on the setup!! :)

Looks very good, and it is not that often that you see "doctor fish" surgeon in the trade.

Keep up with the updates and good luck :)

-augustus

I would like to know about the idol as well. I have never seen them successfully kept in an aquarium.

well the idol got beat up from the doc tang after about 3 months of havin them together he was eattin and doin well but i came home from work one day and it was to late to do anything for him.

Back