My new generator arrived this morning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yeah I need to stop by. I also need to have a few people over to kick off both the new tanks in the house. I have just been working from 6am to 10PM everyday for pretty much 3 months straight getting ready for Afghanistan.

Danm 16hr days!!!! I will stick to my 8hr days. When you leaving for Afgahn? I have a buddy that will be going there too.

HAHAHAHA I'm moving some of my SPS into the 270g as I'm typing this (well not when I'm typing:D). They look tiny in there!! Seth you should come by and check them out. I would invite you Charlie but you live like on the moon or something like that:lol::lol::lol:. You know you are always welcome here when ever you decide to leave the moon.

Lookin pretty close to the moon today roscoe, gettin like you guys, no sun, all rain!!!! Must be that global warming al gore thing.

Danm 16hr days!!!! I will stick to my 8hr days. When you leaving for Afgahn? I have a buddy that will be going there too.

Yeah at a minimum...I'm pretty sure that My family has forgotten who I am. I leave a week before xmas this year roughly.

I am not sure, but I think that setting up a natural gas powered generator would require an inspection to satisfy the county or the state.

It would be nice to have a NG (or dual fuel) generator hooked up to a sub-panel that was capable of powering the house for long periods of time.

I am not sure, but I think that setting up a natural gas powered generator would require an inspection to satisfy the county or the state.

It would be nice to have a NG (or dual fuel) generator hooked up to a sub-panel that was capable of powering the house for long periods of time.

PSSSSHHHHH yeah like I wanna be legal about it....

I'm not sure when I had my house built they said that they will install the NG outlet for things such as a NG generator they never said anything about needing an inspection if i so choose to do so.

I'm not sure when I had my house built they said that they will install the NG outlet for things such as a NG generator they never said anything about needing a permit if i so choose to do so.

You don't need that....trust me.

Hey Gary,
Great question. I told my husband before we even started the tank that I wouldn't do it without a backup system. We get a lot of wind here in Whatcom County and often lose power.

We had an electrician install a Siemens 10 KW auto start start Natural gas generator. Overkill I know but its worth it.

Since installing the generator and subsequent 250 g DT I have a new nano so I have that on the loop too. Plus the kitchen!

Jill

Jill

To have a whole house generation system set up you have to have an automatic transfer switch that changes the power feed from the main line to your generator line. You can actually feed your house from a small generator a couple of different ways. If you generator has 220V outlets on it then build a cord to go from that to your dryer plug in and plug the generator into the wall. Then be SURE to shut off your MAIN breaker in the panel box of your house, you are now back feeding your entire house with the generator. Depending on how big of generator you have you should be able to run some of your tank and possibly the refrigerator. You can do the same thing by plugging into a regular wall outlet but you won't be able to run as many things. You have to be sure that you turn the MAIN breaker off in the panel or you could backfeed the main power line and KILL SOMEONE working on it!!

setting up a natural gas powered generator would require an inspection to satisfy the county or the state

Sansdwhitson is also on track.... I used to have a 6.5kw with extension cables.... gave it to a pal on here :)
Put in a 17kw whole-house ng a few years ago. Got a pretty great deal from Costco (shameless plug) on 4 for myself and buddies :)
Wired it myself and Salmonslayer & I ran the gas line.
Inspector said I did a great job, so me's good with it!

Now I don't have to worry about the power if I happen to be someplace like Anchorage (true story).

Current price at Costco for a 10kw wholehouse w/panel $1999.99
Price for a portable 7kw w/electric start is $999.99

definitely not a "simple" install hooking up to the house grid. Requires permitting and an automatic transfer switch so you don't backfeed. Backfeeding = Death to linemen and is taken VERY seriously.

Nice job gary.... welcome to the honda family....

I have the same.. and pay'd the same on ebay... was used all of about 45 min prior to me. got that off ebay...

that little unit rocks... it powers all my tanks at full power lights heaters, exc exc...

u can get a 2nd one and connect them together and alomst power some small things in your house...

In the future i plan on geting a carrier house setup... that auto switchs.
much nicer to have a unit that starts itselfs and powers a few speical outlets...

the honda Eu's are truely top notch

There is a substantial price increase between the EU2000iA and the EU3000 series of generators. I like that in the future I can add a second EU2000iA (or EU2000 iA Companion) to increase available power as you just mentioned.

I considered all the posts I have read over the years about people losing their reefs to a power outage. I have way too much time, energy, money and passion invested in my tanks to continue without a backup power source.

Last Saturday, I bought a 100' outdoor 12/3 extension cord from Costco for $26. I already have another 70 footer on hand. I may give the generator a test run this weekend.

Gary

when you do the test... make sure you simulate maxium power consumptions..

the heaters on, the lights fireing up... that way you will know your setup will work when needed...

granted i havent had to use my new honda for my tank yet... but i know one day i will

I have a 12,000W Auto-standby natural gas generator..it powers my 375g tank and all devices that are attached to the tank as well as most of the house...well worth the money knowing that if the power is lost while I am at work, I dont have to worry about the tank.

I have a 12,000W Auto-standby natural gas generator..it powers my 375g tank and all devices that are attached to the tank as well as most of the house...well worth the money knowing that if the power is lost while I am at work, I dont have to worry about the tank.

What brand do you have? I would like to install one not just for my tank but for the entire house.

Costco has a sweet deal on a 10K with auto cut over box for 2000.00. If you run it with NG you will have a little less power output. Just FYI...

Back