My new Rebel XT pictures...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm picking the easy things to photograph first I am still working on getting decent pics of the fish, they keep coming out with some blur.

how about at feeding time? may be they want a little something for a picture.

Ok, here's the dumbest question ever....How do I shoot in RAW?? I've only used JPEG.. Don't throw live rocks at me, please!

I think you can only do it in the M, Av, and Tv modes. Once in that mode, just hit the menu button and you will see it under the quality or something like that (I don't have my camera in front of me). I normally shoot in RAW + JPEG option. I don't think you can shoot RAW in the 'auto' modes, such as macro, night, sports, etc. But I would probably have to actually open the manual and check...but that's crazy talk :)

Gotcha, I'll check out the camera later on. Thanks for the tips, and again, your pictures look incredible!

Imagine what you could do if you actually READ the I.Manual......:lol:

So...What is the best way to get rid of a camera you have now to buy one of these things?? :rolleyes: Very nice pictures man...You sure are getting the hang of it pretty quickly! Thanks for sharing your pics with us:)

Hi Rick.

I am just curious, what ISO setting are you using to take those fish shots?

Best,
Ilham

I generally use the lowest ISO as possible. The Rebel XT is very good about noise so I could probably go up to 400 and still get great results. Those clown pics in the other thread were taken at ISO 100.

Great pictures!! Here is a stupid question. How the heck do I keep the internal flash from going off with the XT? I just got one this week and have not had to much time to play with it yet (kids) It seems to take some great pictures but I can't get any decent coral pictures (color wise) because the flash keeps going off.:lol:

Brian

Yeah Nick. I am very new to the SLR world so it is probably something simple.

Brian

I just keep the flash closed and it doesn't pop up. And those first pictures I posted with this are pretty bad looking back at them, lol.

Thats kinda what I've though since there is no mention of disabling it in the manual. I wonder if something is wrong with mine because everytime I press the shutter half way the dang flash pops up and always fires. It is really annoying. I haven't tried pushing it back down after it pops up but that would be really annoying to have to do that everytime.

Thanks
Brian

What mode are you in? I believe if you are in the "creative" (aka non-auto) it shouldn't flip up. And I'll post a few more pics in a little bit :)

Here are a few:

IMG_2570_DxO_raw2.jpg

IMG_2565_DxO_raw2.jpg

IMG_2582_DxO_raw2.jpg

IMG_2181_DxO_raw2.jpg

Those are some really awesome shots!! I went through the canon online tutorial today and realized what I was doing and you are exactly right. It is a pretty awesome tutorial even if you don't own the camera. BTW what lens are you using to take those pics. 100mm macro?

Thanks
Brian

Yep, all of these were taken with the 100mm macro, though I've gotten some great shots with the kit lens or the 50mm F/1.8 lens. And here's another one from today:

IMG_2918_DxO_raw.jpg

Last edited:
Back