my next home

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bergovoy

Hey all, from so cal.

I am getting out of the rat race!!!. I am joining the legions of folks that probably move to your neighborhoods and you all complain about.

I have a 15 year old daughter

But, I am not going to be a pita. I am not going to take your jobs, and I probably wont be your neighbor...

I want to find a home out a bit from the city. not totally rural, but definatly not city...

I would like to have a stable with a couple of horses. I would like to be near skiing / snowboarding areas int he winter.

I want to be near the water to fish and boat and...

I want to be near someplace HEALTHY and clean...

I dont mind an older house, / farm... I can build it bigger and better...

And my next home will have a MONSTER tank... my current 180g will not be big enough for the fuge.. I AM TALKING HUGE... and probably several tanks in different parts of the house...

So, access to lfs or suppliers maybe a consideration, but obviously a minor one compared to the other issues.

Anyways, the first step is for me to learn some geography... What city should I be looking in or near...

Anyone else have horses or live out in the boonies and likes it???

Thanks

bill

Bill,
Welcome to Tri-Cities. I look forward to seeing you at a meeting.
Here is home page to Midcolumibia forum so you can see next meeting.

http://mcsac.org/

I welcome the chance to meet you.
Ed Hahn
Kennewick, Wa.

thank you for the welcome, not sure when I will be making the move, all dependant on selling my place, and finding a place...

I would do it tomorrow if I could, but want to find a place that will be suitable, and accomidating for my daughter, and get a half way decent price, knowng the current market, I will take what I can, and buy what I can, should be a wash, except for the overall difference in total cost of the median home in both areas

Any tips for locations or cities to look it would be appreciated

thanks

bill

my tank

Here is some info regarding my tank...

I have a 180g tank, with a 50 gallon sump.

It has a closed loop w/ an oceans motions 4-way. I am using a QuietOne 6000 for my main circulation pump. I have it branched via a manifold to my chiller, UV, and media reactor. (Each 'branch' has it's own gate valve)

I have about 100lbs of Live rock, and about 15lbs of live sand, (it is a bare bottom tank, but I do have some sand to keep some creatures happy/alive)

I am using a 1/4hp chiller, and a 35 watt(I think), Aqua UV sterilizer, and aquaC XP media reactor.

For skimmer I am using the MRC MR2 (dual beckett)skimmer with a Panworld PS150 pump...

I cant understand why anyone would not use the MRC skimmers. They are totally upgradeble, and will be the last skimmer you will ever buy...

Here are some pics...

(I hade a defective PVC elbow when I originally installed it)

and an old fts (when I first set the tank up. It is totally different now, will try to get recent pics later on)

I am always doing something to the tank, and plumbing...

The most recent change was to clean up the piping. And by doing so, I was able to eliminate 7 1" elbows, to just two 1-1/2" wide sweep elbow.

My head pressure dropped almost 7 feet, and the flow increased 400-500 gph... Oh my...

Anyways. I love the mechanics and nuts and bolts, but am still learning the livestock and differences in care and lighting of the different species...

I love this hobby, and am passionate about thebenefits to the wildlife and corals,...

Nice looking set up. I look forward to learning from ya. Most of the people I have met from Cali are energy efficient when it comes to lighting and pumps. I am curious which size of Metal halides you are running. I am betting they are not 400 watters. I was looking for media reactor. I know its in there somewhere.

I am not an expert, especially at livestock and corals...

I know how to assemble pvc. I know how to measure. I understand a little about water mechanics

I understand the relationships / calculations involved in determinining the proper sizes for a fuge/sump/return section

But, I am looking for experts, or even future experts as I would love to learn with someone else as to wht and how to best take care of my pets

BTW, I am gathering this site does not get much traffic...

I am still hoping to get some input on some of the areas so I can pick a place to move to...

I was considering Yakima, as my daughter knows someone from there...

But I am just not sure about anyplace...

I am hoping to live in the typical GREEN overly waters grounds of Washington...

I am tired of living in a desert, and only having two seasons. spring and summer...

I want snow, I want fall... I want country...

I would love what I call the SMALLVILLE farm...

If you ever saw that show, you would see a small country road, (one lane in each direction), and a dirt road with a mail box on the end, that leads to the barn and farm house...

I would LOVE that...

Even if I need to build or rebuild it. I got the time, and the skills and tools to do most of the work...

But I want my closest neighbor to be further away then shouting distance...

PLEASE, some tips or suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated...

Or even another website for me to reachout...

Thanks

Bill

Bill,
I am not sure where your work location will be. Yakima is about 80 miles North of me. I live in Kennewick.

I am thinking possibly Prosser, Benton City, Selah when I think of farming.

I wish you were here now. I need to do more plumbing on my tank. I have to remove my return pump. I have a Reeflo Snapper I am replacing with a Dolphin 2800. I have a 4ft by 4ft cube. I am in the process of rebuilding.

i work wherever I want, whenever I want, (actually, I am retired, due to disability). I had planned onretiring early, but ended up with some severe back and neck issues, and today, have had three surgeries and a half dozen screws, pins, plates, and all kinds of goodies...

So, I truly am free to live where my heart takes me. The only conern is a good school for my daughter, and maybe a good economy or potential for her to find work when it is her time to earn some bread...

I also noticed that the last picture i posted is an older/before pic of before I re piped my system... You can see several pvc elbows that got removed, along with some elbows you cant see...

I have two kids. I follow both kids with soccer and Basketball. There are indoor Arena Football and Hockey locally in Tri-cities. The sports programs are awesome in Tri-cities. I think if you can keep kids active, you keep them out of trouble.

Where ever you decide, I wish you a safe trip.
Washington is a awesome state. You can travel 200 miles any direction and get different types of terrain. I live in desert part of Washington. It use to be a desert, people keep building.

DESERT???

Oh, no... I live in a desert now, I want lush green rain forest like lands...

The problem is I have no clue where to start looking, then when I do find a spot to look , how to look, when to go up there and scout out a place, then, how to sell my place, so I can use that money to buy another place...

ugggh, I am clueless, and i hate that feeling..

Bill,
Please look up a little town called Dayton Washington, or Walla Walla. The water is trapped from Mountains around that area. There are deer, cougar, bear, pheasants, chukar, Grouse. Its a skiing area for snow skiing. You will get a little snow.
I am not sure what you are looking for, but sounded like a nice farming area with room to play.
Its 50-60 miles from Tri-Cities.

Back