My pump is too loud!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I have a Mag-5 for my return pump and it is just too darn loud. Its been running for about a year now, is there anything I can do to quiet it down? Would a good cleaning make a difference or is that just the way the Mag pumps are? Are they any other brands that run quieter? Its harshing the melllow vide of my tank.

You may need to put something under the pump. I put two foam pads under my skimmer pump and now it's quiet. But now I need to buy more foam and put it under my return pump too. Finn mentioned silicone pads to put under there, you may want to contact him.

I agree that Mage are noisey but i wouldnt ditch it though but if you do ditch it ill take it:D

IMO mags push the gph they say they are suspose to but mine are also noisey, and yes a cleaning or may be moving around or wiggling the pump or like some one else mentioned placing foam under the pump will all have some kind of positive reation I'm sure

If you have the foam filter on the end that it comes with it shouldn't be to dirty or dirty enough to wear it gets loud but if it started out quite and progressed in noise through out the year then thats probably a shear indicater it needs a good scrub

Make sure you put it back to get her correctly also or it'll get even louder

Thanks for all the input, This is an in-sump pump under water, are you saying putting foam or silicone in the water?
That sounds like an easy fix, and yes at times it does rattle on the side of the sump, then its really loud.

I used these to put under my sedra 9000 in sump skimmer pump. It really reduced the pump vibrations that seemed to almost echo inside my stand.

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/lamsharhotsp.html

But I'd do like a couple people recommended and change out that mag pump. They are usually a very loud pump no matter what you do.

I bought a couple for the pump and siliconed 2 of them together, making a double layer.

I have a quiet one, it is anything but quiet, and I don't believe it is pushing anywhere near what it said it would either.

Hey Finn, thanks for the tip. I went to "That Kitchen Shop" in the mall and got two of those things. The ones I got were ribbed so they messed with each other. I put them under the mag 5 and it is alot quieter. Not super quiet but much much better. Well worth the 20 bucks for those pads.

i have a mag 18 and a mag 9.5 runnin on my 220 gallon and they are very quiet i dont ever hear anything unless i need to add water.

"Meshed"...they meshed with each other, not messed..... dang I wish this thing had a spell check...that's embarassing..

Back