My tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fairly new here at RF, just thought id share some pics and info about my tanks. One is a mixed DSB 225, the other is a sps only BB 90.

Last year i consolidated several systems and built what I believe are two very solid systems. My goal in both was zero piping or powerheads visible in the tanks as well as sweet random flow. Both tanks utilize OM-8 ways with Hammerhead pumps. My 90 i had custom built with a external coast to coast overflow. I never have to siphon any detritus out of this BB tank.....every bit of it gets to the overflow and to the sump/skimmer.

Both tanks utilize a acrylic rod rocklift design I came up with which are nearly invisible, does not impede flow under the reef, does not create dead spots and with the sharp teeth i grind into the top of the rods, the stick to your reef like glue making the most stable reef platform you could imagine.

Here is the acrylic rocklifts i make for tanks with sandbeds

ebayrocklift.jpg

Heres the same acrylic rocklifts BB style

starboardspraybarsin.jpg

My 225 plumbing

225plumbingback-1.jpg

90 plumbing

8way-90.jpg

225 FTS
225fulll.jpg

90 FTS
90full.jpg

side225.jpg

tanklefft.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everybody :)

Nice set-ups. Makes me want to reconcider sand.

Don

There is only sand in one of them.......and when it comes time to replace the sand in the other.........it will be BB as well ;)

I set the 225 DSB tank up first as it is what I knew how to do...the BB 90 was an personal experiment to see what BB is all about. the sand now ticks me off ... lol

Last edited:
Well I changed my bulbs to 10k xm's apout a month ago. Couldnt be happier. Thought i would post a few more pics.

225tankleft.jpg

225center-1.jpg

225tankright.jpg

90lleft.jpg

90right.jpg

bbn.jpg

DSC_3049.jpg

pptips-1.jpg

ptip.jpg

stag-1.jpg

Also...heres a little video i shot showing some cool OM 8-way love. I simply drop the water level down a couple of inches so a few of the 8 ports can catch some air bubbles....showing some water movement :)

well...hadnt posted here in a while...I had a little accident over the 4th of july holiday. Killed pretty much everything in both tanks besides one lonely tomini tang in the 90 and 3 fish, the zoanthids and a couple of candy canes in the 225.

here is a picture of what the 225 looked like right before the crash......and a lovely pic of the carnage afterwards........

full225.jpg

deathall.jpg

BUT,,,,Ive completely restocked with a forest of frags and full speed ahead...im still tweaking the aquascape of the 90 so will add some pics of it in the weeks to come......

Here is apic of the new improved aquascape 225

full225.jpg

side225-2.jpg

side225.jpg

rainbowmonti.jpg

DSC_5017.jpg

DSC_4968.jpg

DSC_4943.jpg

DSC_4937.jpg

DSC_4944.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my....what happened exactly???

I'm glad you are still in this game. I think everybody, at some point in this hobby, has at least gone through one tank crash. It makes us stronger, I think.

Best,
Ilham

Wow, what a disaster, glad to see you are bouncing back. I know this may be tough, but what do you think happened. I saw your post about overdosing iron, I am curious, are you on a well for your water supply?

What happened long story short is I was on vacation during thsat heat wave during the 4th of july.......the house AC was turned off by a housesitter, my chillers couldnt handle ambient room temps in excess of 110 degrees and BOTH tanks cooked killing everything but a few fish and the zoanthids pretty much.

Charlie,as far as the iron issue.........no, not related in anyway.......... i just had a new Euroreef modded pump rust up BAD and was curious. Nothing was hurt per se.......i just wanted to know more. I am on a well, but it is one with less than 50 tds to begin with AND i use RO/DI.

What happened long story short is I was on vacation during thsat heat wave during the 4th of july.......the house AC was turned off by a housesitter, my chillers couldnt handle ambient room temps in excess of 110 degrees and BOTH tanks cooked killing everything but a few fish and the zoanthids pretty much.

Charlie,as far as the iron issue.........no, not related in anyway.......... i just had a new Euroreef modded pump rust up BAD and was curious. Nothing was hurt per se.......i just wanted to know more. I am on a well, but it is one with less than 50 tds to begin with AND i use RO/DI.
\

Unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid question, why did they turn off the AC???

\

Unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid question, why did they turn off the AC???

Because I took for granted that my tanks would run themselves, and neglected to tell him(my father ;) ), that the house AC was one of the most crucial things that had to be running and that he should glance at one of the 3 digital readouts that display the tanks temps at all times. :rolleyes: He thought he was doing me a favor by saving some electricity.

My fault, not his

When i got home I caught a glance of the glowing white skeletons through the front window and knew it was bad before i even opened the door. For the last 24-48 hours I was gone the 90 was 100 degrees, and the 225 was 94, so my chillers were trying.

Last edited:
Well, like I said before, it is good to see that you are back in the saddle. Don't you just hate it when things are your own fault???? I have run out of boots trying to kick my own *** before.

Good luck to you, and please keep us updated with some little frag type pics. It is so much fun to watch them grow tho, isn't it??

I love your acrylic rock lift... i have been thinking of that idea for a while now... very good idea.

Back