my zoa's are sick

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wjguy

Mandarin
some of my zoa's are not doing so hot. some of them on several different colonies are closed up and looks like some sort of algea is eating them, I dont have a camera to take pics. and I also have a ton of these tiny egg looking things all over my rocks and back glass, they look like tiny little fried eggs ( all white with a yellow yoke colored center. ) any help would be great. this is a new occurance and the only thing that I have changed is the addition of a remora protien skimmer.

can u take out the colonies and brush off with new toothbrush the ones with algae...then give it a lugols dip or tmpcc...

I did an iodine dip and a fresh water dip today waiting on results but I will try and brush them off as well.

Thank you

hi,is the eggs look like this?
i just caught my cleaner shrimp laying eggs on one of my zoa frag...
heres the best pic i can take..my tank is really full of coralline...
and my yellow coris wrasse and tailspot blenny are eating the eggs....

DSCN1062-1.jpg

DSCN1058-1.jpg

DSCN1065.jpg

I've had those in several tanks over the years. I'm almost certain they're snail eggs definately never effected my zoas

The eggs are snail eggs. cerith??

Not going to bother zoanthids.
I would refrain from doing any more freshwater dips, unless you see zoanthid eating nudibranchs or sea-spiders.
That will only cause more stress on the zoanthids.
How old is your tank?
What kind of flow?
What kind of tests do you do and what results?

My zoas look similar.
Here's my stats:

180 gal
7600ish GPH flow
3 months old

Tests:

Salinity 1.024-1.025
temp 78*F
PH 8.4
Ammonia: <5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <10
Alk 9.5
Cal: 430
Po4: 0

Zoas are located on the lowest rocks in my tank
medium flow (lowest area I can find)
lighting is 3 20K 250W bulbs

I'm just now recovering from some sort of Diatom/nitrate bloom/

Like finn had asked, hows your water, and how old is the tank?

I may be wrong but it seems to me zoas dont like less than stellar h20 peramiters. When setting up tanks in the past I have rushed to add zoa's. They always seem to bleach out, close up, collect a browish red algae and shrink away to nothing.

I'm growing them well now but on a established system. I really avoided zoas entirely for a couple years becuase I didnt feel they were much of a beggingers coral as I had been told many times before.

yup, i have the same problem. do a iodINE dip(dilute a few drops in a cup of water and put in the frag for like 4-5 minutes) It will kill most every algae. as for the eggs, I dont think snails lay eggs, they are asexual.

I dont know brotha. I wasnt trying to put anybody else down, just speaking from my experience... I think finn is the best guy to ask. I still want to see, but have not got to see, which I hear is wonderful..... (hint hint hint) finn tank, and I hear he's the zoo master.

So it could just be my tank being too young in my case?

So it could just be my tank being too young in my case?

I agree with BCT182, age of the tank, seems to be a factor as I'm going through a similar problem with some of my zoanthids.
I just setup my zoanthid tank and rushed to get stuff in it. Or rushed to get the stuff out of the another tank with a small problem.
Also low alk seems to be another area we ignore in softy/zoanthid tanks.

Oh, btw those are probally snail eggs.
They do lay eggs.

Every once in a while I get a colony that goes down like that and eventually algae will cover it. Sometimes just a really soft brush, like a worn out tooth brush used gently, then put in a area of more flow than they had.
Also people I know swear by the product ReVive Coral Cleaner from Two Little Fishes. Stuff smells like pinesol.
If you decide to do any more dips, which ReVive is or a Lugols dip DON'T do it in freshwater, unless you know for a fact that you have a zoanthid preditor.

Back