my zoa's are sick

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

+1 on brushing off algae and put in a more flow....
i havent done freshwater dips in zoas....cause it will do lots stress on them
i had this green brown algae happened to my kedds reds mini colony and been close for like a month...i just brush it off with toothbrush and put it in a good flow then after awhile it open up and like nothing happened..of course i dipped it with lugol's and melafix....
now i use tmpcc for dipping too...

It is soooo tough to try a diagnose zoanthid problems.
There several things that could go wrong with them, fungal, bacterial, preditor, and enviromental issues.
Another so called cure for bacterial problem is Furan-2 dips. A fungus cure use to be a hydrogen peroxide dip.
So figuring out where to start is tough

haaay (sigh)yes on that finn...i dont know if magnesium plays some role on zoas too but when i had issue in my tank having low mag,it affects mainly my lps but it affect my zoas too..as long as all parameters are in check then zoas will do good....
plus after i start dosing VITAMIN C all my zoas are always open....

i just use tmpcc for dips...or after fragging...
i received akunochi's 1 polyp frag of assassin's paly(flaming pprpe)...and can u imagine i spot nudi eggs????:shock:i scrape it right away with razor of course very gently and dipped it for 5 mins with tmpcc...

i just use tmpcc for dips...or after fragging...
i received akunochi's 1 polyp frag of assassin's paly(flaming pprpe)...and can u imagine i spot nudi eggs????:shock:i scrape it right away with razor of course very gently and dipped it for 5 mins with tmpcc...

If you spotted nudi eggs, then that would be his problem. nudi's most likely.

I tried the vitamin c thing for about 5 months and saw no improvement and saw no difference when I stopped.
So I'm not convinced.
But if it helps....... more power to it.

so my I just checked my water and all is good, I have a 150w 20k reeflux Hqi
tank has been set up for about 6mnths ( actually the water and rock is from my other 2yr old tank ). so the eggs are snails so thats good. it has been 2 days since I did the iodine dip so I will keep a close eye on them and if they dont get better I will try one of the many good suggestions that you guys gave me.

Thanks to all of you I really appreciate all the good info.

Huh

Is anybody concerned with the air/gas forming in the substrate?

If it was me I'd stir that stuff up a bit and take a whiff...I might be barkin' up the wrong tree...but I'd still get a dowel/plexi rod in there & poke around a bit.

If you spotted nudi eggs, then that would be his problem. nudi's most likely..

it was from unique corals group buy...i think akunochi is having problem before he got the frag:)

i use brightwell's vit c...im not sure if its really working...or because my magnesium is on check now...my alk is a bit high though..do zoas like high alk?

so my I just checked my water and all is good, I have a 150w 20k reeflux Hqi
tank has been set up for about 6mnths ( actually the water and rock is from my other 2yr old tank ). so the eggs are snails so thats good. it has been 2 days since I did the iodine dip so I will keep a close eye on them and if they dont get better I will try one of the many good suggestions that you guys gave me.

Thanks to all of you I really appreciate all the good info.

keep us updated..:)
as long as its not melting(bacterial,fungus) then theres a lot of hope:)

Yep I was having problems prior. The Assassin paly is open wide as can be in out "magic" nano tank.

Is anybody concerned with the air/gas forming in the substrate?

If it was me I'd stir that stuff up a bit and take a whiff...I might be barkin' up the wrong tree...but I'd still get a dowel/plexi rod in there & poke around a bit.

I thought it looked clean. But I also thought there was a mixture of different substrates, like oyster shell on top and not sure waht the dark areas were, just thought it was more of a different mix.

it was from unique corals group buy...i think akunochi is having problem before he got the frag:)

i use brightwell's vit c...im not sure if its really working...or because my magnesium is on check now...my alk is a bit high though..do zoas like high alk?

Not high alk, just normal.
I think the things I saw that refered to alk, was because of low alk.
The Vit c dosing was a different one. A buffered dry power. There is a big thread on Reef Central.

try giving them liquid food on them
or maybe they got burned
3 things i told you here which is most common

yup, i have the same problem. do a iodINE dip(dilute a few drops in a cup of water and put in the frag for like 4-5 minutes) It will kill most every algae. as for the eggs, I dont think snails lay eggs, they are asexual.

I can't comment on the dipping part, though I CAN say that I'd listen to Finn as far as zoa's go. He has been keeping them for a long time quite successfully. I do know that snails lay eggs, and many of them will reproduce quite happily in our aquariums...

Best of luck with the zoa's!

Cheers, Josh

DSCN1065.jpg

Those white things on the glass are from nerite snails. It's either eggs or snail poop. They're really hard to scrap off the glass and is the reason I'd never get nerite snails again. You can see the nerite snail right to the right of them.

I saw someone else mention that their cleaner shrimp was laying eggs on their zoanthids. Cleaner shimp don't "lay" their eggs anywhere. They carry them until they're ready to hatch and then they release them at night. I've seen my fire shrimp do that and had hundreds of baby shrimp swimming around my tank. Fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp are in the same genus (Lysmata), so their breeding behavior is the same.

so I need to pull those little guys out then cause it is getting crazy.
so I picked up some lugol's and did another dip and it has been 2 days and I can already see that the algae/bacteria is dying off. so at this point I think all will be better. Thank you all for your help.
Those white things on the glass are from nerite snails. It's either eggs or snail poop. They're really hard to scrap off the glass and is the reason I'd never get nerite snails again. You can see the nerite snail right to the right of them.

I saw someone else mention that their cleaner shrimp was laying eggs on their zoanthids. Cleaner shimp don't "lay" their eggs anywhere. They carry them until they're ready to hatch and then they release them at night. I've seen my fire shrimp do that and had hundreds of baby shrimp swimming around my tank. Fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp are in the same genus (Lysmata), so their breeding behavior is the same.

Back