My Zoo's aren't opening

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I know I have seen this thread before but I couldn't find it.
I have some really nice zoo's. They are not bothered by any parasites (that I have been able to detect) but they have been opening less and less. They were next to some xenia and some hammerhead...I moved them yesterday. This morning no change. My tank has been running HOT 84F!!!! I have been using frozen bottles of water and a shorter light period to help keep the temp down :(. Haven't found a fan that will work with my canopy.

My other zoo's are growing like crazy!
Any ideas? Oh and there is sponge growing on the piece of rock that the unhappy zoo's live on.

thanks for responding. no change yet. I didn't expect much since I moved them up 5" closer to my lights. But they are in a better flow area so I am just going to wait now.

I will try to get some pic. posted in the next day or two.

Last edited:
Yea, I spend alot of time moving my zoa's around. I finally was able to place my Rde's in a spot where they all open up.

Hi Herefishyfishy. I don't know sad to say. Is that KH? that would be around 8.3 ppm,
Am still looking for a test kit for calcium. I have b-ionic was using that for awhile...but it was pointed out to me that dosing without testing is dumb. I am dumb enough already. I have been looking around locally for a calc/alk test. Probably will have to order off the internet Salifert. That's a big chunk of change for me...
So for now just the reg. water changes with the reg. water and testing for N03.
"sigh"

Most local fish stores should do those tests for you. Some of my zoo's are tempermental too, mine don't like to be in direct flow, and medium light. Are they all closed or just sections at a time?

Just sections at a time and the sections that are opening look um "tight" not open and fleshy and happy. (If that makes any sense at all)

I would check it at night with a flashlight and make sure you don't see anything swimming around in there. I found one of these in my Zoo and they are VERY hard to see because as they eat the zoo they adopt the color of it. Sometimes if one of my plants is being tempermental I pick him up and turn him upsidedown and give him a little shake. That could be wrong to do but it loosens up different things that could be holding up in the zoos.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27328

Very interesting:cool: I have gone to mainly soft corals now because I had a heater get stuck on and I lost about a grand in fish and corals over it. I have many Zoo's in my tank now. I have them both in the bottom and top of my tank. I find them open all the time but if this makes any sense more open (expanded) when I have the metal halides on. I know water quality is the most important thing for a happy tank tho. I have found them to be a little shy when they are first put in a tank also. I also feed mine regularly with Reef Snow and the tiny frozen brine shrimp. Get your water checked tho. Hope this helps:)

Jerry

I Had A Problem With My Zoo's Opening Up Move Them Close To Water Flow And Started Opening Up

Back