Mystery algae ID requested

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Its a calcerous algae. I had one in my tank for a short time, but it seems to have disappeared.

uwscotch has a bunch in his and was able to tell me a little more about it. Apparently breaking it off will cause it to spread, but otherwise its not particularly virulent.

I haven't been able to make a positive ID yet.

-Dylan

Yeah, we recently grown a rater lush crop of Halimeda around our sea mat as well. It's pretty . . . not too terrible, and yes calcareous. If nothing else, it speaks to the calcium bounty in our tank. :)

I've never seen it become a problem in any tank with the exception of a reefer in my local club. In fact, I've rarely seen it survive long.

However, here's his tank.
11194new_tank_in_green.jpg

11194new_TANG_W_1.jpg

We still don't know why that happened to his tank.

Holy crap. Yeah, I've had maybe three of these things show up . . . the way it would seem is if you start having a problem, start scaling back on calcium, and they should begin slowing down (of course, alongside all of your coral as well).

Frankly, I think that he was overdosing Calcium. However, he doesn't know as he was just following a dosing schedule as opposed to testing.

Agreed with Curt. Most have a problem just keeping it alive let alone thrive. It is however one of the more beneficial alga to keep. It's also one of the very few that can be managed in the display tank. The tank above being the extreme exception.

Cheers
Steve

I have a single stem of it. Its lived right in the middle of a clump of zoa for about 2 years. In 2 years, its grown perhaps 1/4-1/2", but always appears healthy (not that I know how to indicate health by appearence of this species).

Back