Mystery Coral - ID please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

winland

mysterycoral.jpg

Can anyone ID this coral?
Each polyp is about 1/8 inch in diameter.
The entire rock is about 2 inches in diameter, but must of the polyps are dead. These few seem to be doing fine now.

winland

Thanks Ilham,
Possible, but not convinced at this time.
Anybody with a second opinion?

winland

Thats cause it is a Galaxy coral...:D

Its in some rough shape, you need to give it losts of attention.

Nick

Thats cause it is a Galaxy coral...:D

Its in some rough shape, you need to give it lots of attention.

Nick

Yes, it is in rough shape. I aquired this piece along with several other corals from a tank that had little or no attention for many, many weeks.
What special care or supplement should I give this coral, other than good quality water, low to medium light and moderate water flow?
Should I cut away the "dead" portion?

winland

IMO.....

No, you don't have to cut them away. The dead part is now "live rock" so to speak, and if kept healthy, the coral will grow again.

Low water flow, place it on the bottom if you have metal halides. They send out some nasty stinger tentacles at night/feeding time. Do not put other corals right by it. Stinger tentacles are hard to see at night, as they are translucent (thin, but long).

I would guess, like other polyps, they can be fed, but I don't think its necessary. The coral itself will absorb nutrients from the water column, and will catch whatever foods are leftover from your fish feedings.

Best,
Ilham

Not all galaxias will send out 12" sweepers like the common neon green ones but definately keep an eye on them. BTW that is a sweet coral, I've never seen that color before.

Back