Myths....?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MikeS

Hi all

This thread
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6561
has prompted me to start this topic...

I have been keeping aquariums most of my life, and marine aquariums for 20+ years...but I'll openly admit that is the first time I have ever heard that about nitrite. I try to read as much as I can on the hobby, but that one escaped me, and it's got me a bit shook up... :D

I'd like to see some more myths dispelled....if you know of a commonly accepted bit of information in this hobby that is in fact a myth, could you list is here? Looking forward to seeing the replys....

MikeS

Great topic Mike. RF's own Mythbusters aka Reefbusters :D

I think a couple that I have learned a little over a year ago, that really aren't myths per se (perhaps misconceptions is a better term for mine), but were surprising to me when I finally used my brain:

Sandbeds are not a "set it and forget it" form of filtration

Calcium shouldn't be dosed to really high levels

Good ones Nikki....

I'm also still having trouble with the "sandbeds may not be good for you tank" myth...LOL...ok, that ought to bring mojo Mike in on this one... :lol:

The nitrite one caught me off guard....I've been giving the advice that nitrite is almost as bad as ammonia for many years...that one shook me up....but if some evidence makes you question your convictions it's a good thing, right?

Ok...one of my favorite "myths"....clownfish and anemones....if I had a penny for every post I've seen over the years that states clownfish -need- anemones to survive in captivity. I say this is nonsense. I had a true perc that thrived in my tanks for well over a decade with no anemone. The perc was an adult when I got him , so I have no idea how old he was....at least 10+....and I have yet to be presented with any good study that backs up the statement that clowns need anemones to thrive in captivity....

MikeS

:D - I should edit my post to say the myths are "sandbeds are set it and forget it", and "dose Ca in high levels for stony corals". I don't want to confuse people :)

The nitrite thing.....even though it isn't like was thought. It still is an important point for hobbyists to be aware of. If there is an elevated nitrite, then chances are, there may be some elevated ammonia. So, in this regard, it is a good thing to be cautious.

I like the anemone - clown misconception, good one!

Another one that might be a misconception for new hobbyists....."clams need to be fed phyto". True for small, but not larger ones with a sufficient mantle area.

Oh, also the common myth that I have a functioning brain this early in the morning.

sandbeds may not be good for you tank
Yea I have never bought into that one either Mike. A dsb is exactly what it is, no more/no less. If set up properly and maintained it can be good for certain biotypes, for others its not a really good plan. It has a lifespan and a list of pros and cons

Mike

NaH2O said:
The nitrite thing.....even though it isn't like was thought. It still is an important point for hobbyists to be aware of. If there is an elevated nitrite, then chances are, there may be some elevated ammonia. So, in this regard, it is a good thing to be cautious.

Good point to make Nikki...also after breifly skimming through those articles I was left with the impression that nitrite can still be harmful, but this seems to happen at a much higher ppm concentration than I thought....

NaH2O said:
Oh, also the common myth that I have a functioning brain this early in the morning.

:lol: Well, who does? :lol:

Here is another myth I see, usually from those brand new to the hobby, and I feel that this is primarily an LFS perpetuated myth....lots of them think that using damsels or mollies to cycle a new tank is the best way to do it...hmmm.... :rolleyes:

MikeS

One myth is that you absolutely have to have RO or RO/DI to have reef. I have used tap water for years without any problems algal or otherwise, although I'm sure in certain areas there may be problems but not in all.

Another myth is that any sponge exposed to air will perish, I have disproved that myth several times :D

cheeks69 said:
One myth is that you absolutely have to have RO or RO/DI to have reef. I have used tap water for years without any problems algal or otherwise, although I'm sure in certain areas there may be problems but not in all.

Yeah, it all depends on your water...our tap water where I live, for example, is totally unsuitable for use in a reef tank....it has nitrate, high phosphate, copper, silicates, and the list just goes on and on...I would guess however that most municipal water supplies are on the unsuitable side rather than the opposite...

MikeS

Ok...I'll toss this one out there...

Would the "watt per gallon" rule of thumb in reguard to lighting be a myth, or simply just an overly vauge generalization? Because depth has far more of a function than volume of the tank when it comes to proper light intensity....

MikeS

Oh you bet Mike, that is a myth for sure. It is also a myth that density and SG are the same thing

You are on a roll Mike

Ok...one of my favorite "myths"....clownfish and anemones....if I had a penny for every post I've seen over the years that states clownfish -need- anemones to survive in captivity. I say this is nonsense.

And anemones don't need clown fish and lets not forget clownfish DO NOT feed their anemones.

Last edited:
Myth...Boomer is a real person. He is just a computer trained to search the internet and answer questions on reef tanks :lol:

Boomer said:
Oh you bet Mike, that is a myth for sure. It is also a myth that density and SG are the same thing

Along the same line, SG and Salinity are two different things as well. Also, I see this one alot...temperature will change the SG of a solution....temperature doesn't actually change the SG, but it does affect the observed or measured SG, particularly when using a hydrometer.

MikeS

:D Boomer the bot

Is the "1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water" a myth (and how did someone come up with that)? I've heard both.

Yeah Nikki, I'd say thats alot like the "watts per gallon" thing....way too overly vauge to be of any real use...

MikeS

Boomer said:
Myth...Boomer is a real person. He is just a computer trained to search the internet and answer questions on reef tanks :lol:

:lol: Ok, if that's true, than how come you don't give a different answer for the same question each time asked? That seems to be the case when I seach the net for an answer...LOTS of different and conflicting ones out there... :lol:

MikeS

NaH2O said:
Is the "1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water" a myth (and how did someone come up with that)? I've heard both.

I'm not sure how it originated but I believe it has more to do if you lose power the dissolved oxygen levels will be depleted much faster with a larger fish population, so to be on the safe side they recommend the 1" per 5 gallon rule.

How about UV will kill all the bacteria in the tank and your pods, and plankton and your mother in law??

Or that BB systems are the latest fad.

Or that skimmers will strip your tank of all planktonic life

man this could be a long list

Mike

mojoreef said:
How about UV will kill all the bacteria in the tank and your pods, and plankton and your mother in law??

Or that BB systems are the latest fad.

Or that skimmers will strip your tank of all planktonic life

Good ones....

mojoreef said:
man this could be a long list

Mike

Hopefully so!.....there is just so much conflicting information out there....

MikeS

Here's a tough one, that can be debated.....SPS should be fed.

Really? The last one is a myth??? Darn, I just installed my unit for that very purpose. Just kidding, of course :rolleyes: oh wait, is that a myth?

Back