Myths....?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SPS do feed Nikki, I think the arguement was on how and how much.

On the Mother in law it is a Myth, I tried it on mine and it only left a small bruise

Mike

mojoreef said:
On the Mother in law it is a Myth, I tried it on mine and it only left a small bruise

:lol: Maybe you need a bigger, heavier UV filter? :lol:

MikeS

I guess you're right about the SPS feeding - debate more on how much.....I was thinking about what to feed too/particulate sizes.

What about all bristleworms being bad?

NaH2O said:
What about all bristleworms being bad?

Definately a myth, but not a myth I run across as much anymore on the forums compared to 4-5 years ago....seems the good 'ol bristleworm has earned a bit of general acceptance :D

MikeS

The issue here Mike and Nikki is to inform people what bristle worms are. Feather dusters are bristle worms, fireworms are bristle worms, spaghetti worms are bristle worms, etc.. They are all polychaetes and bristleworm is their common name.

Nikki

I guess you're right about the SPS feeding

They so called not needing to feed is a myth from many years ago when corals were not understood. Corals and anemones where based on what where called P/R ratios (photosynthesis/respiration rates). Researches stated that some had values of above 1 (or 100), so one with 1.25 or 125, received 125 % of its daily needs from sun light. However, these values were never corrected for the excessive mucous they produce, so in later years it was corrected. All now that I have seen now are below 1 or 100 %. I think they are now called CZAR values. Many reefers have used these old values, stating that only light was needed. I was was a dickhead about it :D Humm, so why do they come out at night to feed :confused: I know, they are protecting themselves from all those dangerous and deadly plankton :D So get them out of your tak NOW !

Last edited:
Well Boomer those plankton can be nasty, lol. I think its safe to say that most SPS with good MH lighting get about 85 to maybe 90% of their food from light. But thier are other things beyond what the zoox can provide that a coral needs. I have seen a few different approaches on how to figure it out, some based on polyps dencity, some on tissue and so on. They have a few means of food capture, slime netting, direct absorbsion through tissue and capture (to a point, lol)

Wow czar's..your dating yourself

Mike

CZAR = Coral -Zoozanthellae -Autotropic- Respiration rate

See Muscatine, 1985 PCRC-5,6, pp-119-124

or Sorokin, Coral Reef Ecology :D

No they are not here yet, still waiting and I think we will be waiting forever :(

Ok here's one....Really high Ca levels are good for my corals....

Mike

Ahem... I think we're on the same wavelength :) It's one that I fell in the trap of

NaH2O said:
"dose Ca in high levels for stony corals"

Mike, I just pointed that out one another thread here a couple of days ago :D Raising the Sr will have much more of an effect than rasing Ca.

Last edited:
Mojo

Sorokin, Coral Reef Ecology

Yea I remember when I got my original it took forever then to.

I have one but weeks ago I ordered one for you and Nikki. You must have missed that thread :lol:

Garlic will cure ich.
I think most of those cause and effect things are usually off.
sure there may be a correlation, but its not usually so cut and dry as garlic causes ich to die. or garlic causes fish to resist ich.

Back