Nano Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would actually decrease waterflow through the filter....300lph for a 24g for going through the "sump" is a little much.100gph would be better.
and then add the appropriate tunze/vortec/koralia/sun sun/cv powerhead (just one) to give you 20x-100x (depending on corals) in the display, if it was me.

did you mod the maxi-jet for more power? (must say like Arnold)

also, recently I have found that if you mesh mod a Quiet One 1200, and use the same venturi from the modded maxi-jet 1200 parts(or build a better one), it will it will outperform a modded maxi-jet by a longshot. more air less water/turbulence in skimmer body. I really do need to make a thread.

No I haven't, wouldn't know where to begin. I have never modded any skimmer that I have owned.

these mods mess up and shorten the life of your pump, you can not balance them. i still think that a sapphire skimmer is best for a nano tank of 40gal or less. thanks,rod

these mods mess up and shorten the life of your pump, you can not balance them. i still think that a sapphire skimmer is best for a nano tank of 40gal or less. thanks,rod

when done properly, that simply isnt true...
as a matter of fact, a properly modded pump will draw less watts, run cooler thus lasting longer.
It's just that their are a fair amount of people who dont bother to do the research or read before they mod, and then they FAIL.

did you mod the maxi-jet for more power? (must say like Arnold)

also, recently I have found that if you mesh mod a Quiet One 1200, and use the same venturi from the modded maxi-jet 1200 parts(or build a better one), it will it will outperform a modded maxi-jet by a longshot. more air less water/turbulence in skimmer body. I really do need to make a thread.

So I could buy a Quite one and take my MJ1200 impeller and use it on that pump? I might just have to try that. *lol* I am always trying to get better skimmer performance with what I have.

So I could buy a Quite one and take my MJ1200 impeller and use it on that pump? I might just have to try that. *lol* I am always trying to get better skimmer performance with what I have.

not quite, you would perform the mod on the impeller that comes with the qo1200, you could use thre VENTURI that you would otherwise make from maxijet spare parts and use it on the QO 1200 pump, or if your a modder like me, you could easily make a venturi from the volute of the pump as well.

I'll have to see if I can find a QO 1200 and watch for any threads on modding it. *lol* Thanks for the clarification. Guess I didn't read your first post good enough to see you mention using the venturi. :O)

Alex

Why not just get a bubble magnus hot? They are 80-120bux and will destroy the saphire's, bacpak's and most others and cost less. This way you don't have to mess with mesh as they use a aspirating venturi with pinwheel. It does 220-300lph air pull. I use the external bubble magnus on my son't 20g. Here's a weeks worth of skimmate. He has one fish, a evil domino damsel : )

DSCN1022.jpg

My little Bubble magus works great on the nano, and it's big brother is even better for the 72.
Awesome build and quality, quite the bang for the buck!

They are definately tough to beat : ) When i got my first one from nuocean he sent me some pw's to test. I added a larger pw on the internal one and it was pulling 350lph. It had a 4" foam head. To bad it didn't fit!!!!!!!!!

Probably the only reason those skimmers do so well is because they're driven by 2 mj pumps. I'm sure if I could find a way to mod my bak pak to run 2 pumps it would perform even better. But that is just my opinion.

Alex

The internal is driven by one mj1200, the external hot is driven by one mj900 for air injection and the other small mj is a feed pump. The external is a hob recirc. So they are only driven by one pump for air injection.

the best by far is a nc24 saphire nano skimmer sold by premium aquatics. i replaced my stock skimmer on my new 28gal hqi jbj system with the new nc28 saphire skimmer. it works so well that i am sorry i did not try it long ago. i will recomend this skimmer to anyone who is serious about there nano tanks water quality. thanks for listening, rod denny.

thats great info..thanks

Back